realistic way of saving about 7 grand..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

realistic way of saving about 7 grand..

i wanna drop cash on my next car purchase...im a fulltime college student..im going to be working part time tho...well..basically graveyard shifts...so figure jobs that oay between 8-12 an hour..most likley doing like..over night stock at walmart or other warehouses...anywho

id want some budget tips on saving up for a car...jus want peoples experiences...may seem like a dumb thread..but any help in this area is appreciated...also..would it be smart to..part my car out..or sell it whole.. i have an 91..h22..no ps/ac...its 5 speed...ex...i have a 92/93 bumper lying around...i jus dont see anyone buying it ya kno...only because its an import..with a motor swap..motor runs great tho..idk..

thanks for the help.

Part it out as much as you can, and then try to find the right buyer, sell it to someone who is getting into imports, or is looking for an import.

As far as saving cash, setup an automatic deduction from your paycheck, just allow enough money for your current bills and put the rest into savings. This past summer I took about 100 from each check and put the rest in the bank, and got up to about $3g, you may also look into a CD account if you dont want access to your funds for a few months.
    MYCB7.com

Comment

^x2 what he said..

Comment

you going to state/UC or community college?
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

a state university..but my mom and the government(loans) are helping me with the payments for it..i jus need a car for these back and forth trips...dont wanna mod a whip right now..need a comfortable reliable one..my cb7 isnt really gonna suit my needs...its reliable but..im jus gonna wanna keep modding it

Comment

Originally posted by DhN
            a state university..but my mom and the government(loans) are helping me with the payments for it..i jus need a car for these back and forth trips...dont wanna mod a whip right now..need a comfortable reliable one..my cb7 isnt really gonna suit my needs...its reliable but..im jus gonna wanna keep modding it
            what year are you?

cuz id highly suggest speaking to your counselor to see how many units and which classes are transferrable to the state.

that way you can goot community for a bit or even one semester cuz this will save u money.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

It's an old strategy, but works...

"Pay yourself first".
              2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
              Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
              1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Put the money in a CD account. It'll make you not want to withdrawl any money due to its fees. Set it for 7 years and your all set.

Parting a car usually gives more money to the seller but more work in involved and your gotta find the right buyers.

Comment

Plan out all of your expenses on paper. Figure out EXACTLY what your bills are every month. Estimate gas costs, and bump that by 10% to be safe. Figure out how much you NEED to spend on food. Figure out how much you can get by with for entertainment. Then figure out how much you make. Break it all up weekly (that's how I did it... bi-weekly might be good for you if you get paid that way)

When I did this saving for my H22, I was making cash every night I worked. I know the bank gives you interest, but I didn't save at the bank. I used envelopes marked for all my expenses. Any time an expense didn't take all of the money I alotted to that envelope, the extra went straight to the H22 fund. It worked well, and I managed to save more than I expeceted over a very short period of time!

Say you're pulling home $200 a week after taxes (that's about 30 hours a week, $10 an hour)
                  Say your bills (insurance, phone, credit cards, whatever you have) come out to be about $75 a week. $125
                  Gas = $20... let's say $25 because we don't know how gas prices may rise. $100
                  Food = $50. Eat smart and cheap, and it can be less. $50
                  Entertainment = $25 (movies, snacks, things you don't NEED)

So you have $25 a week to sock away in my hypothetical situation. That's not a lot of money You can cut back on any of those other things to bump that up a little... carpool, kill your social life (or just go out and don't spend a dime), eat a steady diet of ramen, drop whatever bills you don't need. Hell, find a better paying job (waiters make some decent money for the time put in... and it's usually night work)

Comment

I recommend putting your money in an ING savings account. Right now it's at 4.5% annual interest on their savings account, even higher on the CD's. I can send you an invite and we'll both get $10 if u deposit more than $250.

Comment

ontop of what deeve said, try to work at a resteraunt.

i know you can only get graveshift hours, but any day that you do not have class, be at a resteraunt. work a double, hell it doesn'tm atter. one weekend at my resteraunt, worked a double friday, and again saturday. i made about $80 in tips, and i'm not a server or bartender.

work your ass off at a resteraunt. this past week i've made $80 in tips, and i've only worked 2 days. try to find a job where you get tipped out. that's how i am.

i'll tip out, and live off of that money and not spend my paychecks most of the time.

it's what i did man, just tought i'd give some input.

Comment

4.5% interest isn't much when you don't have a lot of money invested. I mean, it's a GREAT rate for a savings account, but it's not worthwhile for short-term.

Comment

i agree with the restaraunt work. as a bussboy, i started at around $9 an hour including tips. when i moved to serving, i would averae about $30 in a 3 hour shift, sometimes getting as much as $60. when you go there, be willing to do anything. hosting is one of the easiest jobs at a restaraunt, and i got paid as well if not better than when i was bussing for standing at a desk by the door until we closed. when we got busy, it was hectic, but nothing like bussing. if you're not into it, it can burn you out, but if your good and into it, you can rake it in. floor servers (i was at the pizza ounter at Zio's) can make over 100 a night and a casual restaraunt. with experience, a fancy, formal restaraunt can get you considerably more money. remember that 10% on an expensive meal is more than 10% on a medium-priced one (and whoever only tips 10% for good service is a tool!)

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

I've been a waiter for the past 6 years. Started at Bennigan's, and now I work at Outback. Outback is great, because the prices are fairly high, they're always busy, and the sections are pretty small... a large section, while profitable if you can handle it, can be difficult. I've done up to 12 tables at a time at Bennigan's, and at Outback I've NEVER had more than 4 (they try to keep it at 2-3 at a time... which isnt' too bad).

I managed to do everything to my car, including buying it, on what I made serving. I also pay a mortgage, got married, take vacations, and go out to eat more than I should. It's not a goldmine, but it's better than any other low-level job with a flexible schedule!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                              I've been a waiter for the past 6 years. Started at Bennigan's, and now I work at Outback. Outback is great, because the prices are fairly high, they're always busy, and the sections are pretty small... a large section, while profitable if you can handle it, can be difficult. I've done up to 12 tables at a time at Bennigan's, and at Outback I've NEVER had more than 4 (they try to keep it at 2-3 at a time... which isnt' too bad).

I managed to do everything to my car, including buying it, on what I made serving. I also pay a mortgage, got married, take vacations, and go out to eat more than I should. It's not a goldmine, but it's better than any other low-level job with a flexible schedule!

true. the resteraunt i work at is in the golf course behind my house.

it takes 5 minutes to walk across the course if i don't feel like driving.
                              and 2 minutes if i drive.

the golf course, and the wilmington plantation are connected to each other. (here's a site for the plantation. it's down, but there's a drawing of the building. www.wilmingtonplantation.com)

it's a chill job too. since the food is expensive, the tips are usually good. only bad thing, is the resteraunt used to be private, members only. now it's public, but we're ALWAYS slow. nobody knows it's public now.

hell....most people don't even know it exists.

Comment

Working...
                              X