Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody use FasterFox to speed up their browsing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybody use FasterFox to speed up their browsing?

If so, I ask you to not use it on this site. It overloads the server, and can cause issues. If you've ever seen that white error screen, you know what I'm talking about!

Never heard of it until now. Just installed it though so I'll see how it goes lol.

Sean-Dinner.com

Comment

Never heard until now also...I'll try it later when I get home
      1993 Accord LX - Sold
      93 BMW 525it - SOLD
      92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
      2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
      2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
      2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
      2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
      2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

I use it too. It a nice little extension for FireFox that makes a noticable difference in load times.

The prefetch is a neat little feature. It loads all the content that you might view next, typically pages that are links on the page you are currently browsing.

Members Ride Thread

Comment

My reason for asking is this: Has anyone considered the extra load it puts on servers? Especially servers hosting forums such as this, where there are hundreds of thousands of links, most of which go to dynamic content (things that change with every second, like the "new posts" and "user cp" links).

So, to make it simple... don't use it on this site. I have a suspicion that the extra load is what is causing our recent temporary crashes. It may not be the case, but regardless, it has a negative effect.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
            My reason for asking is this: Has anyone considered the extra load it puts on servers? Especially servers hosting forums such as this, where there are hundreds of thousands of links, most of which go to dynamic content (things that change with every second, like the "new posts" and "user cp" links).

So, to make it simple... don't use it on this site. I have a suspicion that the extra load is what is causing our recent temporary crashes. It may not be the case, but regardless, it has a negative effect.
            No prob
            1993 Accord LX - Sold
            93 BMW 525it - SOLD
            92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
            2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
            2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
            2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
            2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
            2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote

You are correct. One member using the 'Enchanced Prefetching' feature will increase the load on a server slighty. However that one feature can be disabled (like i have on mine). Fasterfox speeds up browsing in other ways (caching pages in memory, optimizing the connection, etc)

Simplest solution for people using this site with FF and FasterFox would be to go into its options menu and select the 'Custom setup'. Disable 'Enchanced Prefetching' and leave all other settings as default.

In that way, I am almost certain that no extra load is being placed on the server.

Members Ride Thread

Comment

How do you disable it for this site?

Comment

oh shit I use fasterfox

How do I disable it?

Comment

I have no idea. I don't use it. Never have.

Edit: Just installed it.

There is no way to change it for this site specifically... but you can adjust the settings. You can either disable it, or change the settings to "courteous") in the "Tools -> add ons" menu.

Comment

Originally posted by head4life
                      oh shit I use fasterfox

How do I disable it?
                      Well, to disable it all together, go to:

Tools>Extensions, then right click on FasterFox and click Disable.

But what I want to know is how to disable it for this site alone.

Comment

Originally posted by head4life
                        oh shit I use fasterfox

How do I disable it?
                        You can't disable it. You will have to uninstall it from the FireFox extensions menu.

edit: I guess you can disable it... thanks according2aaron
                        Last edited by palinix; 01-11-2007, 02:46 PM.

Members Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by palinix
                          You can't disable it. You will have to uninstall it from the FireFox extensions menu.
                          You can disable it.... Just follow the directions in my previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by According2Aaron
                            You can disable it.... Just follow the directions in my previous post.
                            thanks

Members Ride Thread

Comment

tools>add ons>fasterfox

Do not prefetch links with www.cb7tuner.com in them

I hope this is saying do not use fasterfox on cb7tuner I dont know

Comment

Working...
                              X