Plasma, LCD, or DLP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma, LCD, or DLP?

i was wondering if anybody could be of some help. i'm wanting to buy a 42" inch or larger hi def tv, i plan on spending no more than 1200.00 and don't know which to get. there are several in my price range but i'm not familair with theses tv's. i plan on hooking up my dish, dvd, and wii. maybe i could get some input on prefrences.

Phillips had a clearance this weekend on their televisions.

my dad picked the 37" LCD/TV with 1080 support, HD tuners and 4000:1 contrast ratio
    all for 600 shipped.

probably better than our 32" Vizio for 500 shipped
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

this shit gets kinda confusing i found a 42" 1080 phillips plasma @ sears for $699, and a 50" 720 DLP (i forget the brand) @ walmart for $799, then a 42" 720 LCD magnavox @ bestbuy for $999 its kinda tough 2 decide

Comment

u dont want plasma if u are playing games. BURN IN issues.

get an lcd, longer longevity and the technology is wayy better then plasma.

dlps are known for bulb issues. replacing them every 2-6 years and the bulb itself can be 300-900 bucks.

all in all, get an lcd.

edit: Phillips are crap!

Comment

I can't stand the LCD pixels.

Plasma's are pretty sweet, but there's no real long-term data on them.

I would go with a good DLP. They usually tend to have vivid colors and great realism. Samsung DLP's seem to be the norm, they are so crisp.

check out: www.dlptvreview.com

check out this 71" DLP from Samsung:

Last edited by lokuputha; 12-03-2007, 02:32 AM.
          DEVOTE

Comment

idk i hear bad things about all of them, but with the plasma and the LCD side by side, i kinda thought the plasma had a better picture. and when it comes to games i don't play them alot, and we really don't pause it and leave it for long periods

Comment

or you may get the LCD bug and start buying everything with a LCD screen.

ie:
              -dopod phone
              -2 tablet PC's
              -3 LCD televisions (26", 32" and 37")
              -2 laptops

and im on my second LCD monitor for my computer :o

the LCD bug is bad, it attacked my dad and i.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

tube tvs FTW

Comment

I like LCD....At my house we have a 52" Sony LCD TV that we got a few years ago....The picture looks awesome especially on HD....The only complaint I have is sometimes it takes for-fucking-ever to turn on (I dunno why sometimes its fucking quick)...Gaming looks awesome on it too....360 FTW

Both my sisters have Plasma tvs in their apartments....One is Prima and one is LG....both offer great picture...The LG is a bit better...but considering the price difference its not that noticeable....but when you turn it off you can see the burn in left over from what you were just watching....It only lasts a few seconds and its hardly noticeable but it bothers me....greatly....Plus I play alot of games on my shit and you can really see the burn in when we play on their tvs.

I vote for LCD

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                    or you may get the LCD bug and start buying everything with a LCD screen.

ie:
                    -dopod phone
                    -2 tablet PC's
                    -3 LCD televisions (26", 32" and 37")
                    -2 laptops

and im on my second LCD monitor for my computer :o

the LCD bug is bad, it attacked my dad and i.
                    Yep I had to buy an LCD monitor when I bought my computer....Paid out the ass for it but I cant stand regular computer monitors now....LCD has ruined me lol

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

i have an LCD monitor for my pc, and an LCD tv in my bedroom, but neither cost that much money, i just want to buy the right tv. plus i took weeks to convince my wife we needed a big tv, so i can't complain about what i dislike about in a few months lol

Comment

LCD all the way, but do your research first.

LCDs are not all created equal. No name(ish) brands are generally a bad idea and you want to investigate Contrast Ratios (i.e. 2000:1), Brightness (i.e. 450 cd/m2) and Response Times (i.e. 6ms)

In addition, are you planning to run a lot of Hi Def content (i.e. Blu-Ray/HDDVD movies, or Hi Def cable/satellite)? LCDs have historically been poor choices for rendering Standard Def cable channels (they look worse on an LCD than they do on a normal SD tube tv)

So if you plan to watch Hi Def almost exclusively, LCD is an excellent choice if you buy one with good specs and rep (i.e. Sharp Aquos or Samsung)

If you just want something big and plan to still watch SD cable and 480P dvds then you might as well buy a cheaper DLP or even ED plasma (tho I strongly suggest avoiding plasma because of the burn-in and the vastly shorter lifespan)

edit: but don't put everything into the contrast ratio....read this writeup http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...ast-ratio.html
                        Last edited by qbodsyt; 12-03-2007, 11:57 AM. Reason: addition
                        1992 Accord LX Wagon 248K/155 Miles

Comment

I prefer the DLP myself. Best overall clarity and contrast. When actually used with a high def signal, and setup properly, you feel like you are there, which is not something I have been able to say about the others yet.

Also, if you ever have issues with your LCD, you are looking at replacing the entire display, although good LCD's can be extrememly reliable.

Samsung's DLPs are really good, but so far the 1080p Mitsubishi's I have looked at look the best. They have 2 series though, and I would recommend the higher one.
                          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

with a $1200 budget, just make sure that the tv you purchase has 1080p support. anything larger than 32" thats not 1080i/1080p, the quality of the images begins to suffer; more or less the images stretch to fit the screen. plenty of brands out there, so confusion is expected.
                            Samsung also gets my vote as well. we currenty have 2 tvs from Samsung, a 61" DLP and a 32" LCD.
                            5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                            JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

so what about vizio? walmart has a 42" lcd for $998. i have heard they are good but i really don't know. as for DLP thats kinda what i'm leaning towards but still unsure. thanks 2 everyone for their input oh yeah i don't plan on upgrading 2 hi def satellite or getting a blu ray

Comment

Working...
                              X