Hyundai Genesis coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyundai Genesis coupe

This car has been generating headlines for awhile now, and I was waiting to see numbers before I spoke. This is all conjecture at this point, as I haven't even seen one in person yet, so take that for what it is worth.

*Flame suit on* because I know it is coming.

1) I do kind of like the stlying on this. The rear view is sexy, although the rest of the car is weird. I guess that is the trend these days as that is what more an more designs are looking like. I don't like the odd shaped rear 1/4 windows. I just can't adjust to them. The headlights are a little squinty for my tastes, but I think they are OK because at least they aren't huge monstrosities that wrap 1/2 way up the fender or have really bizzare shapes a'la new Nissans.

2) The RWD seems to be a benefit on paper. Again, haven't driven one but from a lot of the stats, I think it is being overhyped. It should provide good traction though with those big ass tires in the rear.

3) It is good to see some focus on enthusiasts here. From an unlikely source no less.

4) Having a 6 speed available with either engine, and all packages available with either engine is a good thing.

5) The 19's on that car look pretty badass. Very nice looking wheel.

6) I think the V6 sounds pretty good. Not the most refined sounding engine I have heard, but I think it sounds as good as the VQ. From what I could find on Youtube, it sounds good with exhaust too.

Complaints:

1) Some of the colors are just weird. I think Hyundai will either sell almost zero of some of the colors, or the buyer will regret it in 5 years. Lime Rock green looks like some of the cars on the carnival rides that go around and around for kids.

2)The weight distribution is pretty poor. 55% front is only marginally better (roughly 5-6%) than a FWD Civic Si. This is one thing that the Mustang has been assailed for over years and years, and I just don't see it making the Genesis as balanced as it could have been. It is similar to the Z, but obviously, the Z has better architecture somewhere because it absolutley clobbers the Genesis in the handling department. The smaller size and lighter weight help of course, as the Genesis is a porker.

The handling with super sticky Bridgestone Potenzas size 19" is about on par with a Civic Si on ALL SEASON 17" tires. With summer tires, the Civic would probably handle better on the track and just might stop in nearly the same distance, despite smaller brakes. It is about 400lbs lighter though. It would also surely still experience the brake fade common to Honda's newer pad compounds, but I don't know how the Genesis fades or doesn't fade.

From a pure numbers standpoint, both engines are underwhelming for their price category. The 2.0T is slower than an Si, which is slower than just about everything else in the class, and the V6 gets killed by cars like the Z.

They both assuredly have some tuning potential, but then again, so does everything else these days. I also suspect the 2.0T is going to have fairly modest limits for a boosted engine as the internals are cast and not forged. While it shares "architecture" with the EVO's 4B11, it is quite different in most of the details, sharing more in common with Chrysler's NA version than anything. The head is not as good, and then there are the aforementioned internals. The EVO's parts could probably be retrofitted without issue, but who wants to buy a brand new car and then rebuild the engine? Especially when one of the Hyundai's biggest selling points is the warranty that will get voided?

I think in terms of the chassis, the front struts and the nose heavy weight are going to prove to be liabilities to some degree, versus what they could have been. This is somewhat evidenced by the Z which has more sophisticated suspension.

3) I think it is a "sham" to have an "enthusiast focused" car without an LSD. You can't get one in the Genesis without a track pack, which raises the price substantially. I asail modern BMW's for doing the same thing. I don't care how much cheaper it is, computer software changes are NOT the same as a good old fashioned LSD.

4) Interior plastics and suspension travel are apparently quality issues. As I said though, I haven't seen it in person, so I can't say.

5) Most everyone who HAS driven and reviewed it, still had to qualify it with "for the price" which indicates that while Hyundai has made progress, they still have a ways to go.

Discuss.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

i sat in one at the chi town auto show
    nice car, and it looks good

motor trend is gonna do a compairo of it and the camero v6

Comment

I'd drive one. Smash it into things, then drive it some more. Shits gonna be the new s13.

Comment

The first model year of anything typically has issues. This is the first year and pretty much new territory for hyundai so I'm not one bit suprised. I have no idea where the hype came from. I was skeptical most of the time. On the bright side the genesis has back seats, useable trunk, softer ride and red calipers: I'd personally pay $5k or so extra for a MUCH faster(and just as good looking) car with considerably better handling , a better engine and syncro rev match..

Comment

Originally posted by Fake Thug View Post
          The first model year of anything typically has issues. This is the first year and pretty much new territory for hyundai so I'm not one bit suprised. I have no idea where the hype came from. I was skeptical most of the time. On the bright side the genesis has back seats, useable trunk, softer ride and red calipers: I'd personally pay $5k or so extra for a MUCH faster(and just as good looking) car with considerably better handling , a better engine and syncro rev match..
          I would too. Or a Mustang GT for a similar price. But it is a good effort.

Also, I don't think the super cheap plastics etc are a first year build issue. I think they are a result of Hyundai having to save money somewhere.

I didn't expect to be overly impressed with the V6, but I thought the turbo would have more cheese to it. Yes, it can be modified, but I don't know how far, nor do I think it should have to be in order to equal a Civic Si, which, let's face it, gets all kinds of shit for being "slow."

All around, I would rather have the Z or the Stang I think.

As for the hype, it is all over the place. Especially from Honda bashers on Honda forums. You wouldn't have to look very hard for some of it on VTEC.NET.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

i went to a car show and this was there.
            Its just me

Comment

well these are my photos of it

Comment

Its my next car

Comment

Originally posted by Dv8 View Post
                  I'd drive one. Smash it into things, then drive it some more. Shits gonna be the new s13.
                  That's the way I see it.

I hope Toyota comes out with the rumored "new-AE86" I've been hearing about. If they do come out, competition shall be interesting.

Comment

AE86 wont be out any time soon, if at all, and the Silvia got the axe

Comment

Wasn't a huge fan of the car prior to tonight. It looks 100000x's better in person than it does in pictures.

BTW... the turboed version is quite peppy. Very smooth at 100mph.

1999 BMW M3
                      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Its a g37 for secure people.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                        "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                        "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

HKS recently modified it and it looks bad ass it was featured in Super Street
                          Looking for a new cb7

Comment

ill give credit to hyundai for targeting more of a youth crowd by adding the RWD and marketing their car as a drift machine to catch more eyes.

but i will still fork out a bit more money to get my hands on a 370z or a used NSX.
                            Last edited by GHOST 2.2; 05-12-2009, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I hate how it looks, the looks turn me off so much I really don't care for anything else about it.
                              wat?

Comment

Working...
                              X