my new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by micksf22accord
    Im thinkjing about getting a dsm to play sround with and boost since i dont want to boost the cb7
    let me know if you want one i might be able to find a good one for cheap if you want me too.
    Xbox: cityslika4g63

Comment

Feel like a dumbass here, but anyone wanna enlighten me on what DSM means? Never have picked this one up on the net.
      -Jay

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
        Nice nice. I was gonna go dsm for awhile, and wanted the Talon.

Still a very tempting choice. Any concerns about Crankwalk?
        I was gonna say that too.. are you at all concerned about the problem with the crankwalk and the risk of the engine fire?

Ive heard people mention the crankwalk problems with the DSMs especially the 95-99 models.

BlueJayde DSM stands for Diamond Star Motors (Diamond refering to the 3 diamonds on Mistubishis products TVs , Appliances and of course vehicles)
        Henry R
        Koni/Neuspeed
        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
        1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
        Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
        made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

You lucked out, the previous owner switched over to the 6 bolt motor from 90-94's, which didnt have the crankwalk issue

Those jdm 4g63's are powerful bastards...good luck!
          Under Construction

Coupes weren't mean to be sleepers

H22power.com

Comment

yea i was looking to get one with the 6 bolt in it. when i get to college im going to pull out the motor and do a 2.4 stroker kit in it witch is good for like 800whp and i will have every bit of it. im going to build the motor to hold like 22 psi all day and when i race it take like 30 or 32 psi. so i have good plans for it

Comment

Looks real good! Future plans sound good too!

Dan

Comment

Just keep an eye out for signs of crankwalk... Find yourself a nice mechanic that is well aquainted with DSMs (I'm sure there are plenty) and make sure he looks at it occasionally. As long as you maintain it properly, don't beat on it, and pay attention to signs of trouble, you shouldn't have any issues.

That is a HOT looking car... not a very common color either (at least around my area). Pricey, but you get what you pay for! At least in your case that seems like a good thing!

Comment

Can someone explain what crank walk is?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                    Just keep an eye out for signs of crankwalk... Find yourself a nice mechanic that is well aquainted with DSMs (I'm sure there are plenty) and make sure he looks at it occasionally. As long as you maintain it properly, don't beat on it, and pay attention to signs of trouble, you shouldn't have any issues.

That is a HOT looking car... not a very common color either (at least around my area). Pricey, but you get what you pay for! At least in your case that seems like a good thing!

hey man i dont think i have to worry bout crankwalk to much bc that happened in the 7 bolts more than the 6 bolts. but im going to get a programe called dsmlink it will let me tune and watch everthing going one with the engine for more info on it got to www.dsmlink.com

Comment

Originally posted by AccordAnimal
                      Can someone explain what crank walk is?
                      here you go. i dont take anything for this write up its just a copy and past
                      A 'walking' crankshaft is a crankshaft that moves too much inside the engine. This is also known as excessive thrust bearing play. The movement is usually due to the crankshaft not fitting inside its bearings correctly. While not bad for the crankshaft, the movement can place excessive or uneven loads on the bearings, causing premature failures.

Many 2G owners have suffered from walking crankshafts. It appears that Mitsubishi built many 2G engines using defective crankshafts, which were machined out of specification and are thus capable of moving around too much inside the block. All 2G model years appear to be affected to some degree.

To fix this problem, Mitsubishi has designed several versions of matching crankshaft bearings. This allows the defective motor to retain the crankshaft, yet matches the bearings correctly so as to eliminate the excessive crankshaft movement. Matching the bearings in this manner is tricky and requires exact information about when the crankshaft was manufactured, which may be determined by color markings on the crankshaft itself. The 2G factory manual includes information on how to match crankshafts to bearings.

1G owners do not generally need to worry, as there are no chronic problems with crankwalk in per-1995 cars. However, it is possible for any engine to experience crankwalk if there is a problem with the crankshaft bearings. It has been reported that 'small rod' / 7-bolt flywheel motors (manufactured from later 1992 through 1994 on 1Gs) are more prone to crankwalk than 'big rod' / 6-bolt flywheel engines (manufactured from 1989 to early 1992). However, there can be no guarantees, since big block V8s and all other engines can also suffer from crankwalk.

It can be difficult to tell if a particular car is experiencing crankwalk. Symptoms are usually indirect and difficult to diagnose until major damage occurs.

Since the clutch places pressure on the crankshaft, many owners have reported clutch or shifting problems associated with the walking crank. Having the clutch 'stick' down on left-hand turns is often a telltale sign of crankwalk. Other symptoms include inconsistent engagement height, poor or rough engagement, difficulty shifting, ticking noises and varying pedal height or pressure. Another possibility is having the engine RPM decrease significantly when the clutch pedal is down.

Another problem with crankwalk is that the crankshaft may move so much as to literally tear up and destroy the 2G crankshaft angle sensor. This problem usually manifests itself as a ticking noise coming from the timing belt area, as the sensor is literally and slowly ground away by the crankshaft. Any such noise should be investigated right away to prevent serious problems.

Unfortunately, cranshaft angle sensor failure usually leads to a replacement sensor, rather than a replacement crankshaft, as mechanics fail to diagnose the underlying problem. 2G owners who have experienced premature failure of the crankshaft angle sensor should investigate the possibility of a walking crankshaft immediately.

For more information, read this post by Paul Estavez, which describes the crank walk problem in detail. Also read Road Race Engineering's archive of posts that contains all of the Talon Digest posts about the walking crankshaft problem. Those who appreciate that a picture is worth a thousand words will appreciate the Crank Walk Photo Archive.

Although 2G DSM owners have been anxiously awaiting a recall or TSB on the crankwalk problem, there is none as yet. According to Paul's second post on the subject, there may never be a TSB, although some members of DSM Canada are pushing for one in this thread on their discussion board. As a result, it is doubly important that affected 2G owners get their bearings (or blocks, if necessary) replaced before their warranty expires. This might be difficult for owners of aftermarket clutches, as dealerships often claim the aftermarket pressure plates are the cause of the problem.

Comment

hey guys got a lil story to tell. it started to rain today when i was at work and i went to luch and it was still wet outside. so when i was driving i punched it and all the wheels started to spin. it was bad ass. thought that i would share

Comment

nice car, my uncle has a talon like that runnin 310 WHP. retired sumbitch has dumped money into that car... and it shows. fast, handles great, looks great... man i want taht car

Comment

Working...
                          X