eclipse sounds like a bag of rocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eclipse sounds like a bag of rocks

my friend drives a 9? eclipse and when he puts it in gear he can start of but then it sounds like rocks are in the engine? I rode in it for a minute and it is worse when he lets off of the gas.
    Can anybody tell me what this could be so he doesn't fuck up his car anymore than it is.

he may want to take it to a place where they give those "free" estimates...

there is no telling what i wrong with it, the description is kinda vague

Comment

he found out that he was out of clutch fluid. Could this have caused the clutch to mess up and not engage properly causing the noise?

Comment

rocks? This sounds dangerously similar to a power-shifting related tranny problem. Some muscle cars are built with the intention of dragging 3, maybe 4 times at most, then the tranny gives way from the power-shift. But that aside, I've never heard of clutch fluid running out by itself, then causing engine problems. Like I said before, it sounds tranny related. When my other accord ran out of clutch fluid, all I got was a radically changed clutch-engagement point. Never anything like grinding though. Definitley take it to a shop, you just can't go wrong.
        Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
        D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
        ┴─┴
        ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

i talked to him today and he said that his clutch was fried and wasn't engaging all the way and hitting the flywheel.

Comment

Fried the clutch!?!? First of all, if, like you said earleir, he had no clutch fluid, then where did it go? Sounds like either the master or slave clutch cylinder went, and spewed the contents over the road somewhere. Did you ever get an exact year on the eclipse? Maybe eclipses are different tranny set-up due to the AWD and all, but still, he would've had to drive on an empty clutch cylinder for pretty long to fry the clutch. He would've noticed the difference almost immediately; unless he just doesn't pay attention to his car at all. Frying the clutch happens on cars that do constant drag take-offs. Maybe he's popping the clutch? Maybe it just got old? IDK. Mitsu's aren't exactly known to be the most reliable things out there. That's somewhat of an understatement though, considering they have a quiet reputation for horrible reliability.
            Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
            D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
            ┴─┴
            ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

my clutch fluid ran out alot, i kept refilling it, but it would be gone the next day...i had no resistance when pushing the clutch at all...the problem...slave cylinder, 5 minutes to replace, another minute to bleed. i dont know how it would affect the engine though, that might be a totally diff problem, cause i drove with little to no fluid for a long ass time, and all it did was kill the clutch quicker because i dragged alot during takeoffs. but then again, i dont drive like an idiot, power shifting and shit all the time. i took it easy. but rocks in the engine sounds to me like a rodknock, my old prelude had it BAD, and it sounded like rocks everytime i hit the gas.

Comment

rocks eh? that could be the whole engine going to shit. I remmeber someone posted a eclipse racing a brand new BMW they won but it sounded liek rocks or something and they blew that engine u could hear everything getting slammed around

Comment

Originally posted by Maple50175
                  rocks eh? that could be the whole engine going to shit. I remmeber someone posted a eclipse racing a brand new BMW they won but it sounded liek rocks or something and they blew that engine u could hear everything getting slammed around
                  he downshifted wrong and blew it to shit.

Comment

Working...
                  X