2000+ Celicas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000+ Celicas

yo, anyone know the differences between the GT & GTS model Celicas for 2000+???

they are both 1.8 liter engines

Gt = 5 spd

Gts = 6 spd

that's all I know....anyone got any mo info?
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

on toyota.com

highlights: gts has integrated fog lamps, option for 16" wheels, option for leather interior

specs

highlights: gts 180 hp w 130 tq, gt 140 hp w 120 tq

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

thx

Comment

180hp sounds like a good challenge, and am i rite that they have cheap copy of the vtec and they call it "Variable Valve Timing and Lift with intelligence (VVTL-i)", i thought it was VDTI or something, iono someone clear it up.?
        Happiness is CR-X shaped

Comment

Originally posted by CRseX
          180hp sounds like a good challenge, and am i rite that they have cheap copy of the vtec and they call it "Variable Valve Timing and Lift with intelligence (VVTL-i)", i thought it was VDTI or something, iono someone clear it up.?
          true, the GTS version has the VVTL-i

Comment

for some reason i hate celicas. theres this site with some nasty ones www.bagyomix.com or something like it thats got some way overly done nasty ones. But thats just my opinion.
            2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
            2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

i wouldnt call it a "cheap" version of Vtec. honda came out with it first, they were the pioneers, this VVTL is just the toyota version, doesnt make it cheap
              Trites

1992 H23 powered CB7

Comment

VVTL-i is variable cam timing, with lift, which means at around 6k rpms engine switches to a "big" cam, very similiar to VTEC. It's actually a little more extreme than VTEC, because there is a much bigger difference between the motor on lift and off lift than a motor on VTEC and off. I think it's 11.3:1 CR on lift. Just look at the bhp diff, non-VVTL-i motor makes 140 hp, VVTL-i motor makes 180, JDM version makes 195. From a 1.8L engine, no less, that's DC2 ITR territory!

My good friend has a 2k1 GT-S, and it's an awesome car. He's running an Injen CAI and Blitz NUR-spec axle-back, and the car on lift sounds like a sport bike!!! Handling is superb stock, amazing modified! As a reference, the Hotchkis Celica, with the stock 180hp engine, beat an Evo 8 on the track, and the Evo 8, even the dumbed-down USDM version, is a track monster!
                1997 RHD AE111
                JDM Blackface Project

Comment

i dont know, wasnt ever really scared of celicas, because MOST of them were driven by chics, and a lot of them were auto's so thats half the problem with good driving rite there, but never really raced a celica, heard they werent that much of a challenge, the recent few years i'm talking about, but toyota's 'vtec' definately sounds more aggressive, was it ever introduced to the supras? or they were discontinued before toyota got this vvtl in their hands? and how old is this vvtl?
                  Happiness is CR-X shaped

Comment

Well, we dynoed my friend's GT-S, and it put down 163 hp to the wheels with just the CAI and axle-back. The fastest N/A Celica I know of runs a 13.8 or 13.9 with just CAI, axle-back, drag radials, and some kind of fuel upgrade (not sure whether it's S-AFC or other electronic "hack," or a fuel pump or FPR upgrade). Most stock or near stock 6-speed GT-Ss will run high 14s to mid 15s street or strip, depending on the driver. Hitting lift in 2nd gear straight out of 1st is the prime determinant, and will drop the 1/4 mile time by almost a whole second.

The auto Celica, though, even the GT-S, suckz ballz. It's a mid 16, low 17 second car. Non-GT-S auto Celi is food for grandmas in motorized wheelchairs. Stock 5-speed CB7 will give an auto GT-S a very good run, if not beat it. If you've got at least a CAI and know how to drive, especially launch, you'll wrap it in it's own droppings! Don't ask me how I know!
                    1997 RHD AE111
                    JDM Blackface Project

Comment

Originally posted by red_gto
                      Well, we dynoed my friend's GT-S, and it put down 163 hp to the wheels with just the CAI and axle-back. The fastest N/A Celica I know of runs a 13.8 or 13.9 with just CAI, axle-back, drag radials, and some kind of fuel upgrade (not sure whether it's S-AFC or other electronic "hack," or a fuel pump or FPR upgrade). Most stock or near stock 6-speed GT-Ss will run high 14s to mid 15s street or strip, depending on the driver. Hitting lift in 2nd gear straight out of 1st is the prime determinant, and will drop the 1/4 mile time by almost a whole second.

The auto Celica, though, even the GT-S, suckz ballz. It's a mid 16, low 17 second car. Non-GT-S auto Celi is food for grandmas in motorized wheelchairs. Stock 5-speed CB7 will give an auto GT-S a very good run, if not beat it. If you've got at least a CAI and know how to drive, especially launch, you'll wrap it in it's own droppings! Don't ask me how I know!

you make a CAI, sound like a turbo or something, the gain on aftermarket induction isnt THAT noticable, not like it'll drop a whole second or two. look at accordtunerx, he had an cai, performance headers, and a performance exaust, all that only shaved him a complete second off from a stock cb7. I think thats impressive. I think a lot of people would agree that adding just an intake wouldnt really give you a serious gain- or enough gain that you would really notice.
                      Happiness is CR-X shaped

Comment

True, I've never dynoed this car or any of my previous cars (91 VW Corrado G60, 95 DOHC 3000GT), with an intake and without, but I know they've made a very noticeable seat-of-the-pants difference in all three. Of course, the VW was supercharged, and the GTO had two more cylinders, but still!

Most aftermarket mods "make" horsepower by freeing up horsepower "lost" through bottlenecks or parasitic power loss. Therefore, the effectiveness of most mods depend in large part on the efficiency of the original/stock/OEM part. From personal experience, I can say that the stock CB7 intake is pretty inefficient; after all, Honda engineered it to make the least amount of noise and suppress the most pollution while generating an acceptable amount of horsepower. A well-designed CAI on a car like the Accord can actually "make" a substantial amount of torque and horsepower!

That said, I still don't have any dyno numbers to back up my statements, but I do know that hills that I used to have to downshift a gear or two to climb, I can now just open up the throttle a tad more and I'm good!
                        1997 RHD AE111
                        JDM Blackface Project

Comment

Originally posted by CRseX
                          i dont know, wasnt ever really scared of celicas, because MOST of them were driven by chics, and a lot of them were auto's so thats half the problem with good driving rite there, but never really raced a celica, heard they werent that much of a challenge, the recent few years i'm talking about, but toyota's 'vtec' definately sounds more aggressive, was it ever introduced to the supras? or they were discontinued before toyota got this vvtl in their hands? and how old is this vvtl?
                          yea, I asked this question originally cuz my girlfriend is interested in getting a car, since her 91 Pathfinder has 280K on it. 00+ Celica is one she likes.

Comment

Well, it IS a chick car!

I've heard good things about em myself.

At 300lbs lighter than a CB7, with a 180hp, 130lb/ft engine, those things would have to be pretty quick in stock form.

Comment

never really in the mood to get beaten by a chic driving a gts, that would be very emaressing.
                              Happiness is CR-X shaped

Comment

Working...
                              X