87 BMW 325 fuel questions, not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 BMW 325 fuel questions, not starting

About a week ago I let my car get too low on gas (just got the car wasn't familiar with how long I could run on empty... computer said 30 miles left) and I ran out of gas on the freeway. It's pretty dry but AAA bails me out. Woops!

Now, last night I'm driving down the road and the gas pedal becomes on and off, like touch it slightly and it's almost floored and take it off and it jerks to a stop. I coast into a parking lot and the car dies.

Now I try to start it... it turns on fine idles and then dies. I put in some gas hoping that was my problem and it seemed like it was maybe going to start but no luck. I tried pumping the pedal and stuff and it just dies out.

So I'm wondering if I burned out the pump or if the filter is clogged?
    Click for my ride thread.

I tried a new fuel filter... didn't help any.

Comment

it could be a burnt fuel pump. i mean, you dried it out of fuel. the gears inside a fuel pump are lubricated by fuel.
      miss my turbo cb7
      moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Loosen a fitting on the fuel system and prime the system. if gas squirts out you know your pump works and no clogs.
        wat?

Comment

Where should I loosen a fitting? Seems to me if I disconnect any line below the tank gravity is just going to be pulling it out.

Although when I prime it I don't hear the pump making any noise.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemycb7 View Post
            Where should I loosen a fitting? Seems to me if I disconnect any line below the tank gravity is just going to be pulling it out.

Although when I prime it I don't hear the pump making any noise.
            if it doesnt make a noise, you probably blew something
            miss my turbo cb7

Comment

Well the feul pump is good, I disconnected a fuel line near the intake mani and it shot fuel out when I tried to start the car. It's weird... it turns on revs up and just dies. Do it to many times and it won't start. Let it sit for a while and then it will start again. Fucking BMW, I should have just been happy with my accord.

Comment

chech your maf sensor where your intake comes in i had a 86 325 that had a similar problem and it was the maf sensor it has a swinging door in there and sometimes they get stuck. you can find replacement ones on ebay pretty cheap or there are some really good bmw forums. im on my 4th bmw and i love them. just picked up a 1994 e36 325ic convertible in alpine white with m3 accessories.
                im finally back in a cb7 its like coming home.lol
                93 ex accord coupe h22 SOLD
                90 ex accord 4 door SOLD
                91 se accord 4 door SOLD
                92 lx accord coupe SOLD
                93 ex accord 4 door SOLD
                92 ex accord 4 door h22 SOLD
                93 ex accord 4 door auto SOLD
                92 ex accord coupe auto

Comment

thats what i was thinking next. your map sensor has a problem.
                  miss my turbo cb7

Comment

I found it, stupid hose fell out while driving. It goes from the intake tube to the IM and appears to be feeding the fpr which would provide reasoning for why it acted like it wasn't getting fuel... stupid simple problem cost me too much money since I threw parts at it.

Hey, nice pick up on the e36! I can't decide if I should keep this e30 or my cb7. I need to sell one of them ASAP.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X