Acura 2.5CL 1996

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acura 2.5CL 1996

Hey, whats up, dudes? My moms 2.5TL, dis the first D1 pull ever, not even to redline, now the tranny's acting all screwed up. At first i thought it was the battery but it isnt. I can unlock the shifter with the key and put it in nuetral, since it wont move out of park otherwise. But even then with they key unlock into nuetral, i still have to turn the key to the power position, shift to reverse 2 get the neutal light to even come on, then back into nuetral. D4 stopped coming on period for a couple months now, so this may not be a new problem. But the car does feel slightly more sluggish now. So it seems as if all the gears are mixed, or off by one i should say. So what should i do?

I would say take it to a Honda dealer and have it fixed... Then NEVER do a D1 pull again... there's no reason to ever do that anyway.

Comment

OMG dealership? wow

Comment

Ok, then do this. Take the transmission off the car. Check for wear on the ventral cog, which is just to the left of the mid-spline acuator. That will tell you if you did damage. If the ventral cog is showing damage, then you have to remove the entire dermal subsystem to pull the upper balance shaft free of the housing. Once the upper balance shaft is removed, you can then replace the clutch packs along the transient modulator. Those are what make it shift.

Do you follow?

Take it to someone that knows transmissions. Seriously. Sometimes "take it to the dealer" is the best advice you're going to get, unless you want to learn how to diagnose and rebuild automatic transmissions. Additionally, this site deals with 90-93 Honda Accords... you probably won't get your answer here anyway. Similar, yes... identical, no. You're also dealing with a totally different electronics system than what is known well on here.

Furthermore, you have 54 posts... and there is an "other automotive" section of this forum. Complete with a tech section. That's where people look to help out with non-CB questions.

Comment

take it to the dealer!!!!!

93 EX COUPE, F22A6 turbo project
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...45#post1615845
          96 lexus sc300 DD
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=143563

back from basic.... off to ait.... CB still being worked on i have mad plans for it .. sorry cant tell its on the hush hush for now but all i can say in somewhere around 500 hp soon to come..

Comment

Werent the CL's the beginning of that whole Honda/Acura transmission era?

Like the later CL's, the 6G accords and BB6's all had mad, wicked tranny probs, didnt they?

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
            Originally posted by Jarrett
            Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by 93_f22aky View Post
              take it to the dealer!!!!!
              x2

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
                Werent the CL's the beginning of that whole Honda/Acura transmission era?

Like the later CL's, the 6G accords and BB6's all had mad, wicked tranny probs, didnt they?
                The 4 cylinder Honda transmissions never had any serious chronic problems. It was the V6 transmissions on the early J series that were an issue.

The engine in this car is the 2.5L I5 from the Vigor, and the transmission is probably the same thing. It's a longitudinally mounted engine in a FWD car, so that must make for an interesting transmission layout... There are no significant issues with these transmissions... the only thing that tends to go wrong is when you overwork one in first gear when it's 12 years old

And Chris, you aren't contributing to this conversation AT ALL by saying x2. If you agree, and have nothing to add... nod your head and move on. Nobody really cares that you feel the EXACT same way as someone else... It's just a waste of space, a waste of time, and it ends up getting new members banned because they think that's a great way to get more posts.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                  There are no significant issues with these transmissions... the only thing that tends to go wrong is when you overwork one in first gear when it's 12 years old
                  Driving in 1 shouldn't cause any harm. 1 is the the same gear whether your in 1/D3/D4.
                  I did a pull in 1 and hung out at 5k a for a few seconds ( I thought i was driving manual, I was tring to go down with the shifter instead of up )

I do that some times and will do some occasional (rev matched) engine braking.

Still working great. If that is truely what made his break, then he had another problem to begin with.

But to the OP, sounds like you have either, a TCU problem, a gear selector problem/shift lock release.
                  wat?

Comment

I guess the questions that should be asked are how long was he driving in 1, and how fast did he go? Also, how warmed up was the car... and how recently was the fluid changed.

1 is the same, sure... but when the car is redlining, that transmission is spinning like mad. Spinning gears make heat. If the lubrication was cold, or old, that heat could cause significant damage.

Comment

I drove for 3 miles in 2nd gear going 65mph and nothing bad happened...but that doesn't mean anyone should do it!

On a serious note, have you tried flushing the transmission fluid or anything? The level not coming out of park sounds like a wiring/solenoid issue, also.
                      Originally posted by sweet91accord
                      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                        But to the OP, sounds like you have either, a TCU problem, a gear selector problem/shift lock release.
                        x2 get the wd-40 out and spray on the shifter cables. have to remove the dash around the shifter. had a similar issue with the cb7 and i didnt do any d1 pulls.lol. i wouldnt take it to the stealership yet.

Comment

thats what im sayin. deev's ryt, the dealership is the best place to get it taken care of. at the same time i know its a shift lock/gear selector related issue. i was just wondering if anyone on here had an experience to give me some advice n same me some money. cuz honda charges. it didnt redline, it was in 1st till about 5000. the car was warmed up, but is in need of a tune-up, tranny fluid change.

Comment

Originally posted by trouty View Post
                            tranny fluid change.
                            Exactly. Did you at least check the fluid level? Pretty much everything in an automatic transmission is fluid driven, so if there is a problem with the fluid then you will have a lot of problems.

After you check the fluid, check the solenoids, then the TCU.
                            1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

yup fluids in good condition too. to spec.

Comment

Working...
                              X