Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would that make a difference? I believe the output is identical to the base C6 Corvette.

Comment

A Corvette map would do absolutely nothing for that engine. The tuning programs for the LSX engines are very different than that which exists for ours. I will say, however, that if you do decide to do any exhaust modifications that remove O2 sensors or if you want to remove the CAGS skip-shift mechanism then you can do so with a program called LS1Edit. It's a great program and if you can't find someone local with a license then you could buy your own and likely make some money doing tweaks for others.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I actually like the skip shift. I've gotten pretty good at nailing 2nd when I want it, and the skip shift actually saves gas (that's how the CTS-V managed to avoid a gas guzzler tax.)

I looked into one of those tuning modules, like Diablosport. I figured since it's absolutely bone stock, such a generic device would possibly be effective, since the programmers know exactly what my car is running. Alas, they don't make anything for the LS2.

Really though, I think I'm just going to leave it as-is. I think the only mods I'd consider now are mods that would increase fuel economy without sacrificing performance. I rarely use all 400hp as it is, and I don't plan on taking it to the drag strip anytime soon.

At the moment, I know I have at least 2 bad front shocks, possibly a bad motor mount, and a potential vibration in the rear dif in 5th and 6th... so yeah, I don't think I need to modifiy this car, unless I plan on doing some MAJOR rebuilds in the near future!
        A performance drop-in filter might be where I stop.

Comment

It really slipped my mind that you have the LS2 and not the LS9. The LS9 CTS-V can use the ZR1 map/tune to get all 638 ponies.

EDIT: Just looked it up. It's actually a LSA, which the internals are a little different than the LS9.
          Last edited by Straight Success; 10-02-2012, 11:33 PM.
          The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't going to drop the coin for a 2nd gen, as much as I would like the 556hp. I do like the 2nd gen better, but that's just WAY too much money!

Plus, since I bought used, I'd much rather buy used N/A. Too many people don't know how to maintain a forced induction engine.

Comment

Understandable. I know from following your thread that you not going major upgrade, hence the title of the thread. However, people are SC the First Gen. CTS-V as they have SC kits and ECUs for them. Just something to consider when you hit 40.

Lingenfelter makes the map for the second gen.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Yeah, I looked into the kits. Most of them cost nearly half what I paid for the car! Not to mention the installation, which I'll want to have done professionally... but I think that's probably too much. I'll just buy a 2nd gen down the road, or whatever else is intriguing by the time I can afford an upgrade.

The tuner in me keeps saying "more power!", but in all honesty, I barely use the power that I have!

Comment

Some people actually use it, and get used/immuned to it. That's why they have a need to go MOAR. Your driving habits are good for you because if you never really open it up, and then one day you decide to, it's going to be a rush. That keeps you not need more. I know if I drive normal in my CB, and then finally punch it after two weeks of normal driving, she's feels really quick. I can just imagine what it feels like in your Caddy.

I'm eying that 2014 Chevy SS (Caprice). 6-speed LS2 or LS3 all day. In all honesty, I want a ZL1 (if I move back home with parents; ) or A ZR-1 (super dream).

Whisper...whisper. 2014 Caprice. Hint. Hint.
                  Last edited by Straight Success; 10-03-2012, 12:02 AM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

The LSA cannot be made to have the same power as the LS9 in the ZR1 by a flash tune. The engines are very different. The biggest difference is the supercharger. The CTS-V uses a 1.9L blower and the ZR1 uses a 2.3L. Both superchargers are Eaton TVS units with the ZR1 unit being the SE one found on the new GT500s. Also, the cams are very different between the two. The tune will not make up for these lacking features. This isn't even mentioning all of the other differences the engines have that make the LS9 stronger/lighter that don't directly affect horsepower.
                    Last edited by Jarrett; 10-03-2012, 06:45 PM.
                    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I had read a while back (can't remember the source) that people were tuning the LSA for more power (basically the same power as the ZR-1). The LS9 came in the ZR-1. The engine is constructed a little differently, but basically in its raw state, the LSA is just a LS9 with a little less protein intake.

It was a mistake on my part, as I though the II gen. CTS-V had the LS9 which I stand corrected.

There are companies offering tunes to get the LSA power output at 630+ for under a grand. It's just the motor will not be as beefy as the LS9. This is why I need to indulge back into my magazines. I don't have the time right now. A few months from now I will, and that's when I'll renew my subscription to Motortrend and Road & Track to stay informed.

EDIT: Car & Driver too!
                      Last edited by Straight Success; 10-03-2012, 07:20 PM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I edited my post to change Z06 to ZR1. I don't know why I was writing Z06.

Comment

Yeah, I was going to comment on that, but I got your point. It was obvious you knew what you were talking about, and just typing the wrong thing (I know I've done it!)

Comment

I'd go with good quality exhaust, intake, header. Depending how many cats she has from the factory and how many you take off with a quality I/H/E you could make around 25HP at least. That's just a guess.

If you get a tune or a cheaper "chip" tune it will help a lot.

But if I were you, I'd do I/H/E with a lopey, lopey cam and a tune.
                            You will sound amazing and shouldn't be that much louder depending on how you set it up especially with the exhaust.
                            Current:
                            2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
                            1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
                            1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Comment

I'm just gonna lock this now. Nobody is even bothering to read the original post, let alone the following conversation.

The car is going to stay stock. I don't need more than 400hp. I realize that now. Thanks to those that actually read and made an effort to give helpful advice based on what I want. To those that didn't... thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X