No announcement yet.

01 Prelude no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting it done by honda can be super expensive (although a member from Prelude australia i was talking to said it wasnt too expesnive for him, apparently only $100). i'd just bypass it, as immobilizer issues are a really common problem with 5g's, and a hidden killswitch is better anyway haha.
    sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

I'm trying to source an emissions safe chip now.

FF-squad is one I see that claims they are good for emissions. $85 is way better than $600+ that Honda wants

I just purchased an immobilizer delete chip from Xenocron...supposedly these things work on the V6 ECU's as well. We'll see if it works.
      Last edited by sonikaccord; 12-02-2015, 08:06 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Update!

I finally got some objective numbers for fuel and ECU voltages.

TLDR:
        Fuel Pressure is good
        ECU has a logic problem

Fuel pressure after a single priming rises to about 48 psi. With a pinched off return hose, it will push up to about 70 psi. Car will not start with the pinched return hose, same symptoms.

I also checked my CKP/TDC/CYP resistances and all are in spec and have full continuity to the ECU. So for shits, I decided to unhook the CKP/TDC sensor. I got no CEL...strange. Attempted to start it, nothing, not even a hiccup. Unplugged a few more sensors...still no CEL. IAT and ECT sensors WILL cause a CEL, but EVAP, MAP, IACV, CYP, and probably a few more will NOT.

So I go in and start backprobing a few connectors and realize I'm not seeing 5V on some of the lines. I believe the service connector had 3.6V and one of the OBDII lines had nothing. None of the sensor lines had voltage either. I should have checked it with the stock immobilizer in the ECU, but because the same symptoms are there, but it's probably safe to assume that it didn't have much of an effect on performance. I even disconnected the C connector to see if the 5V rail was being pulled to ground...nope still the same failure. I can't repair this ECU at the component level because I think those parts are encapsulated...so I will have to buy another ECU. This is why kids shouldn't play with VTEC wiring on the ECU. It has a few "questionable" mods on the ECM harness that I'll get a pic of before I fix them.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Progress! I want to see it run. We should see how it holds up against my golf after I cam it and swap the block.
          Last edited by F22Chris; 12-14-2015, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Ok the ECU may be another issue...i still think it's strange that I couldn't force a CEL but maybe it only sees certain sensors while it's running. Continuing, I finally broke down and decided to check my mechanical timing...lo and behold I found two things:
            1: The crank was off maybe a tooth, not sure exactly how much because the lower cover is still on. I didn't have to rotate the crank much...maybe 5 degrees to line everything up.

2: The exhaust cam pulley is broken cracked/damaged. Luckily this car came with 2 spare engines, so I'll grab one off an engine.

So now I'm going to do a T belt, balancer belt, h23 manual tensioner, cam seals, balancer seal and retainer, crank seal, water pump, and any other seal I can find.

Also the valve train is a tad bit gunky, but that can be fix fairly easily.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I saw your prelude power thread.

The PO is a dipshart. Five year mechanic? Please... On paper it's technician.. a mechanic is that dude outside of AutoZone that's addicted to drugs. Any decent tech will know how to set timing, such wow.

Regardless, do these chips your talking about even effect emissions? I would assume they will just bypass security and nothing else, right? I was reading on bypassing some relay for the chipped keys, and then the ECU chip will make it work. Do you have a chipped key?

Comment

Yeah, I was skeptical when he was talking about his "accolades."

I'm curious about that as well, when I get it up and running hopefully this week, I'll throw a scanner on it to see if it will read. If it does, I'll make the assumption that it could pass emissions.

You could bypass the immobilizer "box" to get the starter working and yes, the chip will then allow the car to run. I do have a chipped key, I'll probably keep my immobilizer system. I don't plan on tuning this car and I really want to clean it up while I daily it...and build one of the spare H22A's that came with it and swap it into the CB. Hopefully I can break even when it comes time to sell it.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I had time to dig into this thing a little more...It looks like a timing belt job has been recently done. Props to the PO for that. I also found another problem...the wrong balancer belt pulley...

On to the pics!!!
                  First the damaged cam pulley:

Now the WRONG balancer pulley:

It doesn't have the "spokes" that the crank position sensor needs to be able to detect the position. I should have the right one from one of the spare engines.

Here is an example of the CORRECT pulley:

So hopefully this is all she needs.

Edit: Got damn autotensioner broke while I was trying to install it!!!!! So I'm going to do the ghetto manual tensioner DIY...probably Saturday. Until then, I'm going to get drunk because Xmas.
                  Last edited by sonikaccord; 12-24-2015, 10:57 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Yeah buddy! I still haven't even registered my VW!! Been driving with some random ass Alabama tag! I still gotta get you to fix my Fender!

Video please.

Comment

Wow man great investigative report. That was a lot of stuff that was done to the prelude before you got it.

Was that cam pulley cracked? Wow.

Anything else going on with it?

Comment

I'm glad it's going now sweet job man
                          sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Working...
                          X