Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

02 GTP HID install questions... need to disable DRL and alarm flashing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

02 GTP HID install questions... need to disable DRL and alarm flashing!

I posted on ClubGP already, but I figure I might as well post here... someone might know!

I need to disable the DRLs and flashing headlights caused by the alarm enable/disable on the keyfob. The DRLs will starve the ballasts of power, and kill them. The flashing will also kill the ballasts, as HIDs were not meant to be turned on and off quickly like that.

The methods for disabling this stuff on the 97-00 models is dirt simple... However, for the 01-03 models, it's not the same! I found some info on ClubGP, but not enough to really make me comfortable doing it...

If anyone knows how, please share! Or if you manage to find something in a search that I missed!

The alarm warning settings for my Max where in the owners manual....aren't yours?
    2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
    Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
    1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

No, they aren't adjustable in any way... it does what it does. The modification requires cutting and splicing of wires, but the wires are different between the 97-00 models and the 01-03 models.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...key=&language=
      This thread is the best info I could find, but I'm still a little uncomfortable with the process... The early-model info there is clearly explained, but the later model stuff is sketchy at best!

Comment

Hmm.
        Well, first off the first link doesn't work...the GP site doesn't permit direct linking to hosted files, FYI.

Second link works fine, and the answer seems to be in the last post. Cut the wire.

If it doesn't work...re-attach.

/edit/
        Ok, found backinblacks site/links. So you need a common auto relay
        and this diode.
        http://www.radioshack.com/sm-1n4004-...i-2036270.html
        The diode is to prevent the alarm from sounding or arming everytime you turn on the headlights.
        /edit/

Max is set to just flash the parking lights to unlock/disarm...flashes and one short beep to arm.
        Much better when leaving for work at 6:20!

Is there an epidemic of dying ballasts on Pontiacs or something? Or a theory?
        Last edited by SteveB; 12-28-2007, 11:12 PM.
        Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.

Comment

Gah, I didn't realize the pic didn't work... but yeah, it's on the 4th page of that thread (and currently the last post on there)

I know of one person that fried his ballasts on a GP because he didn't disable the DRLs and flashing lights. I've always been told that any quick flashing of HIDs will do damage. I don't know for sure if it's true or a myth, but I'd rather not take any chances! I've never heard an argument to say otherwise. As for the DRLs, supposedly they run on a lower voltage that the ballasts don't like (again, I can't find any hard evidence, and I don't know enough about the system to figure it out).

But yeah, my goal is to make just the parking lights flash instead of ALL the lights, like it currently does.

I should've gotten these for my hatchback instead... none of this stuff to worry about for a 1986!

Comment

Holy crap... a guy on ClubGP came through for me!

DRLs can be disabled by pulling a plug from the control module.
            The alarm settings ARE programmable... by pulling a fuse, waiting for a number of chimes, and then using the remote. The info was in the manual, but under a separate section than the other alarm stuff (the basic usage of it)... I didn't find it when I looked the first time! This guy told me what to look for, thankfully!

Looks like I won't have to splice anything afterall. You were right about the adjustable settings, Steve. Thanks.

Comment

Cool, glad it worked out.

Comment

Ok.. everything is successfully disabled... now to figure out the HIDs. The instructions are poorly translated to English, so they're not going to be much help. I should probably wait until I get an aftermarket harness as well.

Comment

Working...
                X