Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost to an SRT-4... nearly blew my motor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost to an SRT-4... nearly blew my motor.

I came up on an SRT-4 tonight on 295 South. He was from North Carolina, according to his tags. Nice looking car. Might have been stock motor wise, might not have been... I don't know all that much about them.

Anyway, I passed him at about 70 and dropped to 3rd... yeah, the ricer flyby. But it worked. I saw headlights fly up behind me, so I got into the middle lane. Traffic was clear in front of us, so we lined up. We were probably going no slower than 65 or 70, so I was a little nervous (brake and axle issues). There seemed to be a bit of confusion on when to go, so as soon as my nose poked forward, he gunned it. I was a little late on the uptake, but I mashed 3rd and started to catch up... then I screwed up.

Somehow I shifted to 2nd instead of 4th... while bouncing off my 7400 limiter in third! I maxed the tach. Blew right past the ECU set limiter. Scared the piss out of me, and I immediately laid off the gas. I saw SRT-4 flashers going in front of me as he claimed victory. I slowed down and went through a couple gears to make sure everything was ok. So far, so good. Sounded alright. I put it back in 4th and punched it... catching back up with him. We held out through the twisties, but he took an exit before we came to another straightaway (h22sparkle, it's the same exit you ended up taking when I had to come find your ass... ) I wanted to give it another shot, and I could tell he did too.

I'm pissed. I've never been able to go against an SRT-4 before, and I think I might have been able to hold my own if I didn't misshift. Regardless, due to driver error, he gets the win

SRT-4 guy, if you saw my decals and found your way here, PM me. I'll give you the permission you need to post in this forum if you wish! Good race!

street racing is dangerous. but good kill!
    To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

I hate the sound of an over revving h22, in the back of my mind it's equivalent to someones fingernails on a chalkboard lol. I've done it a few times with mine and about gave myself a heartattack. I'm glad the cars ok. That's the same gear I mis-shift on too. Props on going after the srt4, theres a few of them around here that my friend wont run against with his evo viii It'd definately be interesting to see what your car could do against a stock one. Weren't you going to be putting some cams in soon or is that done already?
      Last edited by blackice; 05-31-2006, 10:46 PM.
      Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
      Project 240SX
      Originally posted by chillin943
      anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
      Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

Originally posted by SoySauceCb7
        street racing is dangerous. but good kill!
        Good kill on his part... I lost!

I'm surprised I didn't hurt anything. Thankful, but surprised.

Comment

well if you floated a valve you might not be able to tell. ive seen it enough to be worried! yikes
          To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

I just went out and started the car again. There's a definite valve chatter, but I'm not sure if I'm immagining it to be louder than normal or not. I'll have to do a compression test. I'll be able to tell if I did some damage that way. I have a kit in my back seat waiting to be used.

Comment

this misshifting is very common on here eh?

Comment

ive done it a couple times in my years... and yes the unique sound of an h22 being dragged up past 8k makes me cringe!!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Oh man I hope everything is OK...that said...I don't get how one could misshift from 3rd to 4th, but with the F most races are over by the end of 3rd, and it's slow enough that I can granny shift.

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                    Oh man I hope everything is OK...that said...I don't get how one could misshift from 3rd to 4th, but with the F most races are over by the end of 3rd, and it's slow enough that I can granny shift.
                    ive never personally done it with an f22, but when youve got an h22+tranny and youre at 8k in third, you cant help but shift as quickly as possible into 4th (it feels so lovely) that its not too hard to pull it down into 2nd instead of 4th. you pull it back so quick you dont notice that it hit the bump between 2nd and 4th, and before you realize it, the shifter slid over and into 2nd and youre already off the clutch

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Don't forget, this race started at like 70!

I've NEVER done it before. I don't know why I did this time... Usually when I miss a shift, I just don't go into gear... and then I don't mash the pedal all the way. This time I felt it go in, and then when I mashed it I saw that needle fly... And the fact that MRX set my CEL to be my shift light is even scarier! I'm still not used to that!

Comment

hmm, hope everything turns out ok for ya deev!

Comment

Same thing happens to me when racing... its like that adrenaline hits you and you get sloppy. My most common misshift on my F22 is from 1st to Second and grinding going into second and having to reclutch. But, its worth it. Hope the engine is OK.
                          Why? Because... Life Happens @ 4500 RPM

Frost White CB7 Member 31

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_LX
                            Same thing happens to me when racing... its like that adrenaline hits you and you get sloppy. My most common misshift on my F22 is from 1st to Second and grinding going into second and having to reclutch. But, its worth it. Hope the engine is OK.
                            Yea I've missed the 1-2 on occasion as well...how, I dunno as it's straight back. I guess the 3-4 is even easier to miss as you have room to go left or right as well. I think I have to change my tranny oil.

Originally posted by lordoja
                            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Shifting with fingertips and deliberation...

He knew you were keeping up though. Probably shocked him a little bit...

Better luck in the future.

Just like in an aircraft emergency, just slow down and be very methodical in your thought process. Breathe slowly, because your mind if moving so fast, you actually have much more time than you think you do.

That is why racecar drivers must stay so cool.

Anxiety causes problems. And ulcers LOL.
                              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
                              X