Track racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Track racing

Is there anyone that track races? I am going to start building my Accord into my track car. I work for a shop that builds SCCA track cars, so I have access to anything I need. I need some advice from the more experienced track racers. Anything i should worry about?
    94 Dodge Spirit-DD
    91 Honda Integra-Project
    92 Accord LX-For sale(check my for sale thread)

track racing as in auto-x or drag?

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

SCCA = mostly auto x.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

SCCA= Road course,auto-x, rally cross.
        94 Dodge Spirit-DD
        91 Honda Integra-Project

Comment

Stiffen everything.

Accords have lots of body roll. If you can fabricate your own, then make a nice, thick rear anti-sway bar. Make an X bar for the back and make a 3 or 4 point front strut bar.

I'm sure you know about the rest of the suspension stuff, hopefully.

But yea, just get rid of body roll.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
            Stiffen everything.

Accords have lots of body roll. If you can fabricate your own, then make a nice, thick rear anti-sway bar. Make an X bar for the back and make a 3 or 4 point front strut bar.

I'm sure you know about the rest of the suspension stuff, hopefully.

But yea, just get rid of body roll.
            I am having a cage that ties into the strut towers, as well as bracing,bracing,bracing. Everything is coming out of the car, except the steering shaft, and gauge cluster, I am going to make a Fiberglass/Carbon fiber dash. I have a Kirkey Racing seat lined up for me as well as a Fuel cell. I am going to talk all this over with my boss and see what he says.
            94 Dodge Spirit-DD
            91 Honda Integra-Project

Comment

Good suspension and a good set of tires will help too. Depending on what class you plan to race R compound is nice. The toyo RA1 used to be a popular choice too bad they are discontinued.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Since you work at a shop that does SCCA modifications, you're in the best possible position. Most people I talk to that want to get into SCCA races don't understand the amount of work and money it would take just to get it up to spec... and that's with a fully stock engine and suspension! To get the CB7 into he SCCA, it would cost a normal person $7,000-$10,000 from my calculations (if I recall correctly... I looked into it about a year ago). That included modifications and fees. Then to make it competitive, you'd probably need to work on the suspension first. That can be anywhere from $2000 to $5000 for a fairly competitive setup. Then the engine... I could dump $10,000 into an NA F22 or H22 EASILY... with room for more!

As far as tires go, many classes have a required tire. Unless you just want to take it to track days.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                  Since you work at a shop that does SCCA modifications, you're in the best possible position. Most people I talk to that want to get into SCCA races don't understand the amount of work and money it would take just to get it up to spec... and that's with a fully stock engine and suspension! To get the CB7 into he SCCA, it would cost a normal person $7,000-$10,000 from my calculations (if I recall correctly... I looked into it about a year ago). That included modifications and fees. Then to make it competitive, you'd probably need to work on the suspension first. That can be anywhere from $2000 to $5000 for a fairly competitive setup. Then the engine... I could dump $10,000 into an NA F22 or H22 EASILY... with room for more!

As far as tires go, many classes have a required tire. Unless you just want to take it to track days.
                  Ya the class i will be running in is required to have a stock motor w/ bolt ons/ and thats it. As far as suspension I will probably go with a full coilover style setup. I already have a cage designed I just need to bend it. and Weld it in.
                  94 Dodge Spirit-DD
                  91 Honda Integra-Project

Comment

good tires! better brakes! and suspension in check. Alot of it will be personal preference, spring rates, tire pressure, etc. but honestly the one thing is learn your car, learn your line, and get someone to teach you properly how to drive, this will make you faster than any mod can bring.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Honestly its not too fun learning lines on auto x. On a race course its easier since usually the apex is marked out via cone. Either way its easier to judge on a racetrack rather than looking at a cone. When I go to events I see so many people take different lines its just interesting to watch. But eventually you get better at it. But if you watch race car drivers they are consistently trying different lines in there technique to see if there time improves or not.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                        Honestly its not too fun learning lines on auto x. On a race course its easier since usually the apex is marked out via cone. Either way its easier to judge on a racetrack rather than looking at a cone. When I go to events I see so many people take different lines its just interesting to watch. But eventually you get better at it. But if you watch race car drivers they are consistently trying different lines in there technique to see if there time improves or not.
                        ya i will be on a race track
                        94 Dodge Spirit-DD
                        91 Honda Integra-Project

Comment

Working...
                        X