Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilmington NC emissions/vehicle inspections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilmington NC emissions/vehicle inspections?

I have alot of concerns moving 500+ miles but my main question for my fellow cb7tuners is what kind of emissions/vehicle inspections will I be going through?Yearly? Never? I realize one of the benifits to living in Columbus Ohio is Vehicles can be registered sight unseen. You literally promise you have insurance and walk out with tags. I am moving in about a month but my wife and I both have old vehicles with high miles. Its a one cat total between all three cars type of problem.
    I have relatives in PA and they have some what sound like horror stories about safety inspections. Rust the size of a dollar, or any wholes even tiny and the car is done. My truck is a 1993 nissan hardbody which is clean compared to others like it but still rusty. Both my hondas have honda rust and my wifes civic has been totaled in the front. The hood/fenders/bumper are fitted pretty well but the not quite same color silver would give it away and maybe throw up flags. It passed inspection in Ohio after the repairs where done. Ohio is easy though, they check brake lights, headlights, horn ect and a car with a door held shut with sheetmetal screws and rust holes that double as fresh air vents is back on the road.
    So it looks like my car and truck are exempt from emissions being 1991(car) and 1993(truck). Her car is 2001 though and has had an evap engine light since we have owned it. Futher more there is no cat, not for performance purposes its bone stock otherwise. It seems like every car I have looked under over 10 years old has a straight pipe welded on here in Ohio for some reason.idk
    So any insights on what I am to expect in NC would be great. I have read the rules but would like some first hand account
    Last edited by cb7 calling; 06-03-2015, 07:22 AM.
    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

NC has safety inspection only for OBD-I vehicles, OBD-II is a safety/emissions with only a plug into your computer.

That said, because you have a cb7, you need only worry about safety...

They're basic. Unless the frame is falling apart they aren't going to fail you.

Big things are tires, horn, lights. If they really want to be dicks they look and make sure you have a catalytic converter. If you have window tint darker than 35% you're gonna need someone who will inspect you with all your windows down if you get what I mean.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Do you pay for inspections? We have them here in Cleveland Ohio but they are free to the consumer which is kinda rare from my understanding. I think I am going to try to find an obd1 automatic something for my wife because I can see trouble in our future passing an inspection with her 2001 civic. It burns a quart every thousand and has an evap system code ect. I think our first step will be keep them registered in Ohio for a while.

Comment

Yeah, but the safety are like $15, and the emissions ones are around $30.
        Gary A.K.A. Carter
        [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Jeez, I'm so dumb I did not originally put this in classifieds nor can I figure out why it's been moved to classifieds.

Comment

Working...
          X