H22 swapped accords in Cali, How??!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 swapped accords in Cali, How??!

So I'm thinking about getting another motor so I can learn to rebuild with it. I was thinking about getting a f22a6 off a jy or something since I will be rebuilding, but then I noticed the ammount of cali peeps rollin around with h22's and I've been wondering how you guys do it w/o gettin in trouble with the law?? Just drive with caution(not very fun if you have a h22) or do you guys pay the dmv to make it legal, reff I think its called..? Or is there another way I'm not aware of?? Id suck ass to get you hood popped and having to swap it back to F series to take it to state smog or whatever it is. How much would gettin that reff thing from the dmv cost?? I know alotta questions but I've been wondering. Any comments or concerns are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Just swap it and make it smog legal. As long as it's smog legal you should be fine. There's no need to get it reffed or nothing. If s cop pops your hood say you bought it like that

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOZE View Post
      Just swap it and make it smog legal. As long as it's smog legal you should be fine. There's no need to get it reffed or nothing. If s cop pops your hood say you bought it like that
      ^^This is terrible advice.

You need to take the car to a state ref, he makes sure all guidelines are followed and that it still passes the emissions test. You then get a "bar" label which is attached to the car letting any smog shop or cop know that the swap is legal. I had it on my 90 accord and there are several on here that have done it.
      FA1

Comment

Originally posted by Junior Smurff View Post
        So I'm thinking about getting another motor so I can learn to rebuild with it. I was thinking about getting a f22a6 off a jy or something since I will be rebuilding, but then I noticed the ammount of cali peeps rollin around with h22's and I've been wondering how you guys do it w/o gettin in trouble with the law?? Just drive with caution(not very fun if you have a h22) or do you guys pay the dmv to make it legal, reff I think its called..? Or is there another way I'm not aware of?? Id suck ass to get you hood popped and having to swap it back to F series to take it to state smog or whatever it is. How much would gettin that reff thing from the dmv cost?? I know alotta questions but I've been wondering. Any comments or concerns are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
        Why don't you ask the people who have them? Hell of a lot easier then asking a bunch of people who probably don't have a clue, or others who will guess/give you wrong advice.
        Originally posted by Mishakol129
        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by 2.2litrebeater View Post
          ^^This is terrible advice.

You need to take the car to a state ref, he makes sure all guidelines are followed and that it still passes the emissions test. You then get a "bar" label which is attached to the car letting any smog shop or cop know that the swap is legal. I had it on my 90 accord and there are several on here that have done it.
          Oohhh okay, and escentially all id have to pay would be the smog check so to speak and id get the "bar", thats if it passed smog emissions?? I had heard the dmv was gunna charge like 1,000 bucks to make it legal

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
          Why don't you ask the people who have them? Hell of a lot easier then asking a bunch of people who probably don't have a clue, or others who will guess/give you wrong advice.
          I have asked several but i had gotten mixed answers, like above. So i just wanted to make sure and i thought others would also like to know. Sorry if this bugged you

Comment

Originally posted by Junior Smurff View Post
            I have asked several but i had gotten mixed answers, like above. So i just wanted to make sure and i thought others would also like to know. Sorry if this bugged you
            Doesn't bug me in the least, just seems to be the most logical way to go about it, that's all.

Comment

it would of been better off if this question was in the REGIONAL section.

Comment

Originally posted by GHOST 2.2 View Post
                it would of been better off if this question was in the REGIONAL section.
                touché

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOZE View Post
                  There's no need to get it reffed or nothing.
                  seriously bro? bad advice. its not hard to make your swap legit. every car in the 2siic team is all bar'd.

1. swap your motor
                  2. make sure all electrical, exhaust, vacuum lines are connected
                  3. make sure your motor is healthy
                  4. take your car to the ref. pass it. if you dont pass he'll tell you why you didn't pass. then fix that.
                  5. mod it as much as you want after.

edit: smog shops don't bar cars. you have to go to a california state ref. check the dmv website. the easiest way to answer your questions is to just call the ref. simple as that.
                  Last edited by GHOST 2.2; 05-29-2012, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GHOST 2.2 View Post
                    seriously bro? bad advice. its not hard to make your swap legit. every car in the 2siic team is all bar'd.

1. swap your motor
                    2. make sure all electrical, exhaust, vacuum lines are connected
                    3. make sure your motor is healthy
                    4. take your car to the ref. pass it. if you dont pass he'll tell you why you didn't pass. then fix that.
                    5. mod it as much as you want after.

edit: smog shops don't bar cars. you have to go to a california state ref. check the dmv website. the easiest way to answer your questions is to just call the ref. simple as that.
                    Easy enough, so after all this ill be good to go?? The closest cali state ref is at miramar college i belive, been there a couple times. Thanks for the reply and breaking it down. Seems like a H22 MAY be in my future. Thanks again brotha was really helpful

Comment

You can do all of that but if you want to go a cheap route and risky route you can be like those idiots who get a very loose smog if you catch my drift. Though Ghost pretty much hit the nail on the head. I would highly highly recommend doing that as oppose to the less then good way.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189897 MRT
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...09#post3003309 EF hatch build

Comment

If its this easy, why doesn't everyone get their swap BAR'D (serious question)

Are there swaps that can't be bar'd?

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

No they aren't hard to bar at all.
                          Simple answer is people are either to lazy, scared about the whole situation, or they just don't want to even deal with it.
                          Thats my personal opinion lol.
                          And yes i have room to talk because i have two cb7s that are both reefed for jdm h22's
                          I would much rather ref the car personally because for one, its the right thing to do, and for two its way cheaper than a smog lol.
                          Smog would normally cost you $45 or so, and the ref only charges $8.25 if you pass and that counts for smog for 2 years lol.
                          STUFF FOR SALE!!!
                          1992 Accord Lx.
                          1992 Accord Ex.(SOLD)

Comment

Damn sorry for the horrible advice! I should have looked into bar'ing my car before I moded it!

Comment

Originally posted by FamousFreak View Post
                              No they aren't hard to bar at all.
                              Simple answer is people are either to lazy, scared about the whole situation, or they just don't want to even deal with it.
                              Thats my personal opinion lol.
                              And yes i have room to talk because i have two cb7s that are both reefed for jdm h22's
                              I would much rather ref the car personally because for one, its the right thing to do, and for two its way cheaper than a smog lol.
                              Smog would normally cost you $45 or so, and the ref only charges $8.25 if you pass and that counts for smog for 2 years lol.
                              Thats whats up. I thought it was a long drawn out process.

Originally posted by lordoja
                              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                              X