Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Cleaning inside of tail-lights.. + more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning inside of tail-lights.. + more

I just got a new (to me) set of crystalled tail-lights for my cb7, they look pretty damned good on my car, but the rubber seals are bad and they need have some minor discoloration around the backup lights and keyhole.

Is it possible to remove the outer lens and clean it up?

I was thinking I could sand the discoloration down a bit (on the inside of the lens) and clean the edges up (they're kind of dirty), then use some epoxy to re-close them, silicon around the edges and put some sort of weather stripping around the edges to simulate the original weather stripping.

These lenses are pretty rare, I've never seen a pair on a cb7 in person, I know people have them, but I think Altezza's were more popular... so I'm hoping there's a way to clean them up and restore them to their original glory

Here's a picture of the lights/lenses;

In case anyone is wondering, I intend to paint the car midnight blue, or black.. it's only green for now

-mak

Bought From: MadSpleen85, jimy, CB7_ACCORD (kouzie), Chrisfrom1986
    Sold To: vinbon63, chessboxer, darkfusion42, LowNknoxville, bowzil, 1993hAccord, mcdizzle, 93accordfreak, lilb_1979, rocketman_471, Bad_dude
    Traded With: cb95spd, chessboxer, sohc em
    [ Completed | Pending ]

you can take them apart. i'd soak them in wd-40 for a few days. that or put then in the oven. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

You can try separating the lens from the housing so you can really clean the inside good...
      Sig removed due to excessive size

Comment

just wondering what the wd-40 does to the lights????
        does it soften the glue??? i always thought thats what baking them in the oven does?
        Kyle C

2002 Accord Sedan EX - standard- daily status

1991 Accord Wagon LX - auto - 304K & slipping transmission

Comment

mak: i like you tails. did you buy them like that or diy them? if so, where did you buy them? also do you get unwanted attention from the cops cuz they are so clear? you have colored bulbs in there to stay legal?? just wondering
          Kyle C

2002 Accord Sedan EX - standard- daily status

1991 Accord Wagon LX - auto - 304K & slipping transmission

Comment

With something rare as thoses lights. I would be scared to put them in the oven. Yes the glue will soften when you put them in there. If you do put them in the over Dont set it over 225degrees. and only leave them in for a few minutes.
            Its just me

Comment

i'd say use a heat gun if anything

Comment

Originally posted by jst_4_kiks
                mak: i like you tails. did you buy them like that or diy them? if so, where did you buy them? also do you get unwanted attention from the cops cuz they are so clear? you have colored bulbs in there to stay legal?? just wondering
                you cant make those truly legal anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by jst_4_kiks
                  Thank you, I bought them used and couldn't believe I even found a pair.

I was going to go with black-housed altezzas with smoked covers (to give the altezza appearance, but only when the lights are in use) and found these bad boys instead

(See below)

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa
                  you cant make those truly legal anyways.
                  The lenses themselves are 'for off-road use only', but only because the OEM bulbs (and their replacements) are clear, and not red. I used deep red silicon jackets around 2057LL bulbs and they're red. The turn signals come in amber already, so no DIY there.

The lenses themselves are not illegal to use, unless you use OEM/OEM replacement bulbs without correcting the color issue.

----

The glue around the housings is already chipping a bit, I'm going to see if I can pull the lenses off (very gently) tomorrow using goo-gone, if I can, what should I use to re-assemble them? I was thinking JB Weld for Plastics, then some silicon to seal them and some small weather stripping so water drains down the front, instead of the rear of the lens when it's raining.

Sold To: vinbon63, chessboxer, darkfusion42, LowNknoxville, bowzil, 1993hAccord, mcdizzle, 93accordfreak, lilb_1979, rocketman_471, Bad_dude
                  [ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

I can't find this answer...are those lenses for a specific year? I like that look...90-91?
                    ____

Comment

the taillight are ok

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx
                        I can't find this answer...are those lenses for a specific year? I like that look...90-91?
                        '90-'91. I've not seen them on '92-'93, but they might have made them for those as well.

-mak

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

nice. i was never able to find all four taillights just the outer two. peace
                          "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

Originally posted by mak
                            '90-'91. I've not seen them on '92-'93, but they might have made them for those as well.

-mak
                            cool...that's what I suspected...but I don't think they will fit on my 93
                            ____

Comment

are those legal/illegal in MN??
                              I know you had the bulbs color in there but..
                              I remember I got pull over for having them on my camry...
                              no tickets..just warning...
                              Last edited by kouzie; 04-28-2008, 03:18 AM.

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X