Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

clear coat haze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clear coat haze

Ive noticed, that my clear coat is slightly starting to haze. Its not frosted, crakling or peepling, yet! Its just starting to haze lightly. Its on the top of my car and toward the rear window next to the trim. Peeps dont really notice it, but its my car and I can stare at it all day if I want to. Im abit concern, what are my options here. Anyone?
    Last edited by laloquera; 01-23-2011, 05:43 PM.

try to buff the dull spots and apply a good wax. i use the 3M rubbing compound and then the 3M wax.

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

Did u use a buffer or did ur hand? Thanks

Comment

your hand baaaaaaahahahahahahah

Comment

If you dont have a buffer you can try doing by hand... must do it really fast though. lol

They best option is to have a professional detailer shop do for you... and have them give you the wax to protect it from future paint fading.
          Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

I got a buffer also. Im a DYI kinda guy, thats why Im in here. Im thinking of doing it by hand with rubbing compound. It will remove the top layer and exposing the bottom part of clear coat. Doing it by hand the area in quiestion and buffing the remainder of the car. Would it possible the same issue continue to happend (haze), if not treated correctly?

Comment

Post a pic of the haze... chances are it already too serverley damaged. Usually when it haze.. it will come back. If it's not too bad yet you might be able to buff it out.. put some nice coats of wax on it might help to cure future fading and haze. The reason it haze is basically your cear coat has no more UV protection..or at least the sun has burn it off and making it dull aka haze.
              Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

The haze if being caused from the uv rays breaking down the clear coat causing the clear to become very thin. You have two options, one is to buff out the area with a buffer on very low speed with a glaze rather than compound. The glaze is more of a thinner less coarse material that is made to make the clear shine. Compound is more for polishing away scratches caused from sanding, if you get a real agressive compound and start going to town chances are that your going to make matters worse. Try a glaze first on a low speed buffer with a soft black pad, any paint supplier will know what your looking for. Another note about fading of clear is that once it starts it will continue no matter how much wax you use, the clear is breaking down causing it to loose the shine. The other option is to save up and paint but that gets pricey.

Comment

Well? I know Im gonna paint it someday, but I want avoid doing that for time being. My car is not perfect, its got, minor dents, scratches, obrations on the both front and rear bumper. For being a 19 year old car, it looks pretty decent. I even got original 92 replacement hub caps. I just baught a 91cb7 sedan 4 $300 bones, but its gonna take time and money. Eventually, Im gonna preserve my 92 cb7 for the next 20 years. But its age is starting to show abit.
                  Im gonna try to buff out and see what happends. Either way, I will com back and post up my results.
                  Thanks

Comment

Im back & started on this very two yeard old clear coat issue. I did this same job on a project car I flip two years ago, it came out so & so. This is my second weekend, im taking my time taking off flaky white cleak coat exposing the clear coat that looks transparent showing the paint at the bottom, I have also removed the center spot ring oxidized top paint to (clear coat is gone), to match the outer circle. Im gonna clean & polish the entire area before I spray on some clear coat. It can happened but its time consuming and you need to develop hand & eye coordination. That's it!
                    Im goona polish the remainder of my car, the clear coat still looks good thought it looks abit fuzzy.
                    Anyone have feedback.
                    Thanks.

Comment

you're going to polish your entire car? or buff the rest of it?

Comment

There exist cb7's that still have clear coat? it's like finding an old vcr with the protective plastic still not peeled off.

Comment

Working...
                        X