Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

The Paint Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Paint Thread...

I am just going to kick some basic knowlage of Paint, This is by no-means a Tech-Article or even a DIY. More or less some basic info. I feel the CB7tuner novice should have under his belt to better help him understand the BASICS of paint. Should you feel my info is incorrect, just post up what you have to contribute... If you have any Specific questions I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.. RYAN.

Q) What color is my Car...?

A) If you open your driver's door and look to the right on the center post or *B* Pillar you will see your vehicle's color code...

Q) How Much Paint Will I need To Paint My Car...?

A) With a FULL paint-job including your jams you would be better off getting a gallon of paint and a gallon of clear just to be on the safe side and have some left over. However 2-3 quarts will shoot the whole car. ***BTW 4 Quarts = 1 gallon***

Q) What's the difference between a Two-Stage and Single Stage Paint Job..?

A) A Single stage Paint is cheaper quality. having the paint and clear mixed toghter allows for painting once and the job is done *Similar to some Earl-Scheib paint jobs*. A two-stage paint is Identical to your O.E.M paint. It has a Base Coat for the color, and a clear sprayed on top of it. Two stages are superior quality to ANY single stage because they offer better protection to the elements, look alot better in terms of quality, and more *Fixable* i.e buffing out scratches, blending the paint ect...

Q) What is Blending...?

A) Blending is when you spray paint on an adjacent panel to what ever your painting however you only lay the Base coat or Color a few inches in. Then you clear coat the entire panel. For example is you change your fender and it's a different color you need to paint it, however the new paint might not perfectly match you old door so you would want to "blend" the new paint into the old door. This tricks your eye into seeing the repair as a whole instead of looking a one piece that's extremly shinny and abit off in color.

Q) How many coats of clear do I need for the best paint..?

A) Many people will probally argue about this cuz there is a ton of mis-information floating around. But, I always read magazines and get a good laugh. My car has 12 coats of clear and looks great... The most coats of clear I would reccomend would be 3 or 4. You can however put much clear you want. When you buff it out you'll see why it's not good to add too many Layers to your paint.. It's not the Quanity as much as the QUALITY! 10 coats of cheap clear does nothing for your perfect paint, however 3-4 coats of the good stuff *Du-Pont, PPg* will give you a great finish that will last 10 + Years...

Q) I want a custom paint job. How much will it cost...?

A) It depends on too many things to actually answer this question. Ask yourself what do you want out of it..? Perfection..? It's always better to do it the right way the first time BUT, not always praticle. Do you want to remove your, windows, trim, door handles, interior, parts in the engine compartment ect..? Just so you don't have tape lines...? Or do you just want to mask everything off...? Do you care if down the road your paint starts cracking..? or do you want it to last forever. Bottom-Line is The more you understand the paint process the better equiped YOU are to make that decesion and find out what best suits you and your budget.

Q) What kind of Primer do I need to use so my paint won't chip...?

A) A severly common Mis-conception is that you have to use primer under your paint... I.E Ever seen a car that is completly primered...? PRIMER IS ONLY USED WHERE A REPAIR HAS BEEN MADE. For example when you remove a dent and use body filler, you have to primer over the repair area to *Seal* it and provide a surface for the paint. However if your simply painting a piece such as a fender and no body repair was performed then wet-sanding and removal of the clear is all that is necessary. Old paint makes a great surface for new paint to attach too provided it is prepped right.

Q) My paint is chipping of my bumper left & right but the rest is fine. Why...?

A) When painting Flexable pieces such as Plastic like your bumpers. Extra prepping must be done to ensure the paint will adhere proprely. It's called a Flex Addative. This is a coat the is sprayed on before the base coat that better enables your paint to *Flex* and this is what resists it from rapidly craking or flaking. This addative is not used on Metal surfaces. This is why the rest of the paint is fine but the bumper is not.

Q) I just got a Complete paint job but my bumpers look like there a different color...?

A) As stated before, bumpers have an added process called a "Flex-Addative" this gererally will make the paint a-bit darker than a painted surface that dosen't have the addative. Also, plastic generally dosen't except paint the way metal does, so you will never get a PERFECT color match between plastic and metal. If you don't belive me go to a Brand New car dealership, look around the lot at Brand New cars and observe the differences between the color of the bumpers and the rest of the car. You Will Be Surprised now that you know what to look for.

I WILL ADD MORE TO THIS LATER!!!....
    Last edited by Laguna7; 05-24-2006, 02:59 AM.
    Automotive Service and Fabrication In SOCAL!! https://www.facebook.com/JLRFAB

nice start

Comment

Good stuff..
      RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

good stuff.

on a side note...the detailers over at lexus tell me that their cars have single stage paint jobs. i was looking at a black one in the sun and i'm pretty sure it did, not that it matters. later.
        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Yeah Man that is great work!! My question is what kind of paint is good enough to paint a car? Because I have heard roomers about you can paint a car with sherwin williams or home depot/lowes house paint. True or False...I dont believe that though.
          My CB For Sale

Comment

Great info.... BTW, some of the most beautiful award winning customs in the world are sprayed with single stage paints.....
            1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

very nice info. i been wanting to get my ride painted. funny how lexus cars have one stage if its cheaper. youd expect them to have the good stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by jtek24
                Yeah Man that is great work!! My question is what kind of paint is good enough to paint a car? Because I have heard roomers about you can paint a car with sherwin williams or home depot/lowes house paint. True or False...I dont believe that though.

Well, there's alot of companies that offer automotive paints... you'll have to research and find what works best for you and your budget.. Sherwin Williams offers automotive finishes with differing levels of quality. You get what you pay for... but, house paints are not the same...

Comment

Originally posted by maroonaccord2.2
                  Great info.... BTW, some of the most beautiful award winning customs in the world are sprayed with single stage paints.....
                  can you post a pic of one..? info...? This thread is to provide info. not critisim..

Comment

Originally posted by Dani Filth
                    very nice info. i been wanting to get my ride painted. funny how lexus cars have one stage if its cheaper. youd expect them to have the good stuff!
                    They don't. At least the ones we fix don't.... Some have a three stage with an added pearl though...

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                      good stuff.

on a side note...the detailers over at lexus tell me that their cars have single stage paint jobs. i was looking at a black one in the sun and i'm pretty sure it did, not that it matters. later.

Hey where's the polishing thread...
                      Last edited by Laguna7; 03-21-2006, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laguna7
                        Het where's the polishing thread...
                        yea we need a polishing thread

Comment

Originally posted by DhN
                          lol yup..u amde a thread and alreayd have questions..well im doing a truk swap..and the trunk i am repaiting is black.and im repainting it white...do u kno where i can get good paint for just the trunk..and tips or steps u can give me in painting it would help alot..also i dont have a booth to paint in..meaning like i dont be able to bake it or w/e..will that be a problem?
                          I would Go to a local body supply store. Remove your gas lid and have them match you a pint of paint. Going off the color code alone might not match because white usually has alot of different alternatives.. I.E Frost white on a 91' might not necessarly be the same as on a 93. So it's def. better to match your paint. I would just spray the trunk itself and install it. It should look fine without having to blend your quarters. Rember that your bumper is plastic and will never perfectly match anyways.. As long as you have
                          a CLEAN place to let the paint dry you will be fine. Rember Mang. Your prep is EVERYTHING. haha Ryan.

Comment

Ryan's been doing this FOREVER so i take pretty much anything he says seriously, i don't know sh!t about paint. (it's not as easy as it seems.....)
                            CiRcuS kiNgZ

Comment

Originally posted by Laguna7
                              Hey where's the polishing thread...
                              Originally posted by HondaGuy1212
                              yea we need a polishing thread
                              2nd reply in here:
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...1716post431716

it will improve any paint job. later.
                              Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Working...
                              X