Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

About to do Rust Removal DIY but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to do Rust Removal DIY but...

Hey guys, I was just inspecting my car's rust to get an idea more or less what's going to happen when I do ATX's DIY but i noticed something funny that worried me. The passenger side quarter panel isn't so bad so I don't notice it much, but the driver's side is pretty bad. I noticed that the inside of the panel is hollow. Now I don't know much about cars so I'm a tad worried by this. Also, below the hollow area is like a white hard, pasty type thing. I dont know if that's Bondo and the repair has been attempted before. Now I'm worried about the hollow thing beacause I don't know if that shouldn't be like that and that the rust ate up that much of my metal. Can anyone tell me if thats how it should be and give me an idea what the pasty white thing is. I'll provide pictures soon, most likely tomorrow, if you need an idea of what i mean.

The pastey white stuff is just the chalking between the pieces of metal. Just grind EVERYTHING make sure ALL the rust is out, don't be shy with it, if you leave one little part rusty it bubbles through within a month. I didn't want to go all the way through the metal on my drivers side and I payed for it, it just bubbleing up again a month later. Just go all the way through, if it's a big whole use wire mesh with the adhesive backing and form it to the body, then the bondo will stick to that. I just bought some wire mesh and the fiberglass bondo since I grinded A LOT off, it's easy to fix so don't worry about it.

Comment

Pics for an idea of what I have to work with

Comment

Oh wow. That's pretty bad... I've got some too. I'm hoping to fix up next weekend perhaps. Yeah, from reading the DIY many times it looks fine. Just get everything off, and much of the area around. Then maybe try the cut metal to put back in in place and bondo... Good luck, I'm sure it'll look nice.
        Click for my ride thread.

Comment

Ya, you gotta cut that out and replace it with new sheetmetal to do it RIGHT.
          1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

is it unbondoable (made-up word, lol) ? Because I don't really have the money to get it fixed professionally and I dont have any welding equipment. I was just going to do what ATX said he did, use aluminum or tin to make the shape of the panel. Me and my dad are going to do it together in 2 weeks since he's off next weekend, so I have plenty of time for any extra opinions, thoughts, or advice.

Comment

Here's a link to the thread I made after working on mine last weekend....

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=72259

Comment

Working...
              X