Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

RE audio SE12D2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i guess this guy with A.A.S. degree in Electronics/Industrial Electronics with 25 years in the mobile audio/consumer electronics field, Peavey Media-Matrix certified audio engineer is wrong according to the people saying that under powering subwoofer can damage it...my god someone needs to enlighten this guy that underpowering subwoofer is bad!!!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7175043AAQSWtj

Comment

You need to run a Re Audio SE sub at 600 watts REAL RMS...NO Sony amp will put out close to that no mater what the LABEL Says...lol

1990 Accord LX Sedan~Sold
      1993 Accord EX Sedan~Sold
      1995 Suzuki GSX-R 750~Totaled

Comment

yeah he can run it for a little while on the cheap amp just dont turn the gain up to high he should be ok ..... and dont listen to it to loud... he may be good....

Comment

Originally posted by StinkinLincoln View Post
          You need to run a Re Audio SE sub at 600 watts REAL RMS...NO Sony amp will put out close to that no mater what the LABEL Says...lol
          wat kind of amp r u running? i actually got my eye on HIFONICS BXi-1208D

Comment

Originally posted by jobab06 View Post
            yeah he can run it for a little while on the cheap amp just dont turn the gain up to high he should be ok ..... and dont listen to it to loud... he may be good....
            wat size is that box? my box is about 3/4 of urs

Comment

2.5 ft @ 30hz its all painted with bed liner paint now so it look way better now

Comment

2.5 ft @ 30hz its all painted with bed liner paint now so it look way better now
                bedliner=very creative i've never seen that on a subwoofer box b4...u should post a pic of it sometime

Comment

yeah sure will once i pull the pictures off my phone

Comment

yeah sure will once i pull the pictures off my phone
                    Cool btw wat size is ur sub and wat amp r u running? i'm on the market of buying a new amp not because someone told me that underpowering an amp will fry my subs which is a total bullsh*t

Comment

its a 12 ... at the moment am running a 45 dollar best buy amp i got off ebay it only getting like 300 rms but i don't trust that amp so i have the gain set pretty low and don't have that bass boost shit on so it does not clip ... am waiting to get this but
                      http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=6737

but school started back and i need like 400 dollars in books so that's what i have to get now .... so that amp will come soon.

Comment

its a 12 ... at the moment am running a 45 dollar best buy amp i got off ebay it only getting like 300 rms but i don't trust that amp so i have the gain set pretty low and don't have that bass boost shit on so it does not clip ... am waiting to get this but
                        http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=6737

but school started back and i need like 400 dollars in books so that's what i have to get now .... so that amp will come soon.
                        that amp is perfect if u got the 2ohms cause u can wire it up to 1ohm and get 600wrms...how is ur sub hooked up on ur previous amp?

Comment

the sub is a d2 so i have it running in 4 ohm now because my cheap ass amp would probably catch a fire because it is not 1 ohm stable ... so yeah that other amp would be perfect.

Comment

Underpowering a sub will not kill it, period. But like every one else said, save your money for a better amp.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinM619 View Post
                              Cool btw wat size is ur sub and wat amp r u running? i'm on the market of buying a new amp not because someone told me that underpowering an amp will fry my subs which is a total bullsh*t
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by sonikaccord
                              Can't blow speakers with too little power.

you can blow underpowered speakers,

you could blow speakers by underpowering them,the voice coil will overheat,causing it go, heres a more tchnical explanation,

When an underpowered amplifier "clips" or runs out of steam and the power supply can no longer provide enough current to the output tubes or transistors, or when those devices reach their maximum output voltage, the signal gets clipped. The waveform of the output then contains a huge amount of DC voltage, sometimes at very high voltage levels relative to the levels seen when the signal is behaving itself as AC.
                              This DC voltage (and the other trash thrown out by the clipping devices) is what does the damage.
                              The voice coil of a speaker is actually a motor. When it sees DC current, the motion of the voice coil stops, or "stalls". When this happens, instead of acting as an inductor, the voice coil basically becomes a piece of wire, and the amplifier sees that piece of wire as a dead short. This causes a spiral of death. The short demands more current from the amp, which it can't deliver, and it clips even harder. Meanwhile the voicecoil is heating up from the increased current, and the lack of any cooling fanning motion, and poof - puff of smoke, and no more voice coil. Even a microscopic burn can sometimes kill a voice coil.
                              This is why, when used and applied properly, it is always better to have more amplifier than needed. Clipping is much more destructive than a small amount of overpowering.
                              One last note - loud is not always better, but the only way to get really loud is to have a larger driver, larger box or more boxes. A bookshelf teensy driver and billion watt amp is never going to push the air mass that a big box and an appropriate amp will move.

Comment

doughboy, thats not underpowering it, that the amp being too weak and clipping because the gain wasnt set right. what happens is that newbs just crank the gain because to them it gets louder which is better, and then it clips.

its not underpowering, or else id be underpowering my shit daily when i turn it down.

Comment

Working...
                                X