Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

CB7 Charging System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CB7 Charging System

Hey everyone, I have a 1991 Honda Accord EX 5 speed. From what I understand, the alternator only charges when the ECU tells it to, and does not charge all of the time to save gas. I see the voltage oftentimes @ ~12.5 volts unless I turn the fans on high or something then it will kick on to 14.5 volts. The charging system is working as it was meant to as far as I understand.

I dont like this feature. I am about to install a sound system and want it charging all the time around 14 volts like normal cars do. Any info you can provide on this is welcome. Thanks

If your system is big enough to require more load it will charge at 14 all the time.
    I would upgrade your grounds and call it a day

If you insist on it charging 14 all the time get a chip able ecu and disable the eld but that's not a cheap option

Steve

Comment

If I remember correctly, you should be sitting at 14.4v all the time...I don't think the alternator completely just shuts down just for the sake of saving gas.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
        If your system is big enough to require more load it will charge at 14 all the time.
        I would upgrade your grounds and call it a day

If you insist on it charging 14 all the time get a chip able ecu and disable the eld but that's not a cheap option

Steve
        Well, seeing as the stock alternator is only 90 amps, I will definitely be overloading it at 2000 RMS+ lol. I will probably be getting a high output DC alternator at some point. The thing about a big alternator is that when it kicks in, it takes alot of power. So if it were in a car like ours, it would be extrememly annoying and possibly dangerous if needing engine power having it "kick in" all of a sudden from not being on.

Do you know of anyone on here who has successfully changed this feature? Thanks for the response.

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
        If I remember correctly, you should be sitting at 14.4v all the time...I don't think the alternator completely just shuts down just for the sake of saving gas.

I wish that were true lol. I have a voltmeter hooked up and its only charging at 14.4v when the ECU senses the battery is drained past a certain amount. If you know otherwise then feel free to tell me

Anyone else got info on how to get it charging all the time chime in. Or anyoen with powerful systems and experience with these cars. Thanks

Comment

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa...ivicaccordfit/

This should help. When I get off of work I'm going to check my idle voltage...it's been so long that I forgot what it is.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by blackack View Post
            Well, seeing as the stock alternator is only 90 amps
            The stock alternator is 80 Amps. The '94-'97 Accord, as well as all DOHC '92-'96 Preludes used the 90 Amp model.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

There is a diy audio forum that has some directions on how to bypass the eld.

I turned mine off so that I could wire in my wide band.

And what jarrett said the stock alt is only 80amps. I have an alternator from an eBay seller that works fine for me it's 170 amps

Steve

Comment

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa...ivicaccordfit/

This should help. When I get off of work I'm going to check my idle voltage...it's been so long that I forgot what it is.
                Thanks for the link man. Sometimes my idle voltage is in the 14's, sometimes its in the 12's.

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                The stock alternator is 80 Amps. The '94-'97 Accord, as well as all DOHC '92-'96 Preludes used the 90 Amp model.
                Thanks for correcting me. Wow that's a weak alternator lol

There is a diy audio forum that has some directions on how to bypass the eld.

I turned mine off so that I could wire in my wide band.

And what jarrett said the stock alt is only 80amps. I have an alternator from an eBay seller that works fine for me it's 170 amps

Steve

Was it a lot of work to turn of your eld? How long did it take you and does it now charge over 14 volts at all times? Thanks

Comment

My wideband O2 sensor is wired into the ELD. No it didn't take long. It took about 1 min in the software. But I wouldn't buy a $500 ecu just to disable the ELD.

Comment

My wideband O2 sensor is wired into the ELD. No it didn't take long. It took about 1 min in the software. But I wouldn't buy a $500 ecu just to disable the ELD.

Oh I see, so your running a setup to make horsepower. Running that H22 in your pic on Hondata, or what computer? Just curious

Comment

Does anyone have a link to a thread where they show how to disable the ELD for our cars?

All the links I have seen so far are for 1994 and up Accords. Thanks

Comment

Mine runs at 14.5-14.7V all the time...weird

It should work for our cars too. We have an ELD in our u/h fuse box according to the schematic

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

It should work for our cars too. We have an ELD in our u/h fuse box according to the schematic

Wish mine did man. I really don't want to do the bypass. Looks like a real pain in the ass lol plus there is no direct writeup that Ive seen so far for our cars.

Comment

mine does also.... and i didn't eliminate my eld in fact when my alt went bad (charging at 12 v) my battery light came on to indicate that....

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

With the car on voltage should be at 14.4 v. I personally don't worry about a .5 v variance. So 13.9-14.9 depending on battery brand, wires and the alternator it self. You should not get voltage readings that vary though that indicates a bad alternator. The only thing that varies in alternator output is amperage. If your accessories are putting a 20 amp draw on the electrical system the alternator will need to put out 20 amps to maintain the 14 volt charging state. If your draw is 80 amps the alt will do 80 if it's capable. If it is not capable of lets say 90 amps at 14 v the voltage of the charging system will drop until the alt can produce the required amperage. As the amperage is easier to produce at a lower voltage 13-12.6 . At those voltages your battery is hardly charging or not at all. With a large stereo system you may even get volts down to the 10.5 range. Your alt can easily produce 80 amps there and some of your accessories while affected will work, like dim headlights, igniter coil ect, but your fuel pump might quit working at that voltage. There is a lot to charging systems this site is great for knowledge.http://www.bcae1.com/charging.htm
                              Last edited by cb7 calling; 02-16-2014, 10:23 AM.
                              ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Working...
                              X