Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Junkyard Speaker Finds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junkyard Speaker Finds?

The Accord I picked up for cheap has a decent set of speakers in it and a Kenwood headunit, however part of the deal was I take the previous owners audio stuff out for them. So I will soon be needing some 6.5" speakers.

Now the other day while at the junkyard looking for a temperature knob and inside door handle (only armed with screwdrivers) I found several cars with decent speakers that I probably could have pulled with a couple sockets.

My question is, are there any older cars (findable in a junkyard) that came with good speakers from factory I could pull? Or would it be a better bet to just search around through Craigslist for used aftermarkets? I don't really care about quality for this car, I just want sound.

If you spent 30 minutes looking in the junkyard specifically for speakers you're going to find plenty of used aftermarket speakers there, too. There are tons of them here in Houston. People usually only take amps and subs out of cars. Amp wiring kits, head units and speakers are left in the cars, in my experience.

Aside from that, Amazon usually has good deals on speakers. So does Sonic Electronix.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

yea ebay and amazon are great. i manged to get a pair of kicker componets 6.5 for $40.

my new turbo build

Comment

Fracture,

Personally, I would go ahead and see if you can find some good speakers and a head unit at the salvage yard. As Jarrett stated sometimes you can find some real steals. If you don't find anything nice then you could look online on Amazon or Ebay, a complete setup can be found for ~$100, (I recommend JL Audio or Kicker for speakers as they have good and lasting quality) the head unit doesn't matter as much but can add to or hinder sound quality. Also, remember, depending on the speakers and head unit that you get you may well need an amp to power them so be sure to check the ratings!
        Last edited by SeriouslyCB7; 01-29-2015, 04:03 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

Ive gotten 2 sets of speakers from the junkyard. One was pioneer, the other was kicker i think. Both sets were blown, and it was a waste of time to pull them and a waste of money to buy them. My advice would to be to buy new stuff. I built the entire system in my accord for under $120, using all kenwood stuff, and it sounds pretty freakin good.

Also keep an eye out at walmart. They have christmas deals (atleast around here) where you can get a pioneer headunit with aux/cd/usb, a set of 6.5" speakers, and a set of 6x9 speakers for $89. They were originally $150 but have been marked down since its over a month after christmas

Comment

I've found sets of quality aftermarket speakers at junk yards, but they are always pre pulled and at the front, they want more for them than base level making it not worth it. Honestly you can get some basic 6" rounds for cheap, or you could spend a little over $100 and get Kenwood Excelon 7" rounds, but that's assuming you change your mind and decide to be a bit of an audiophile.

Head units are a dime a dozen, stay away from Sony, and make sure it doesn't severely underpower the speakers unless you like blown voice coils.

Comment

Here in MO, the junkyards take all the good stuff out before they put it on the yard. I mean I will find speakers, but it's the cheap stuff you would get at walmart.
              For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Comment

Originally posted by BreckAConner View Post
                Here in MO, the junkyards take all the good stuff out before they put it on the yard. I mean I will find speakers, but it's the cheap stuff you would get at walmart.
                Precisely, any aftermarket parts are pulled and sold at a premium. Around here there are guys who work for wrecking yards that pull and buy the parts with their discount and then post it for twice what the JY wants.

Comment

Found rear 6x9 rockford fosgate speakers in a kia accent
                  **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                  Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                  Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

I managed to find a set of Alpine Type S 6x9s at the JY to replace the Bose 6x9s that blew in my SE. I think I paid $5 or $10 for the pair. I saw plenty of decent looking factory speakers, but a lot of them had some bizarre connections that I didn't think were worth the hassle of figuring out. In short, depending on your JY and your luck you may be able to get something nice for less than even CL or ebay.

Comment

I found a good set of boston separates that ended up costing around $30. Usually the aftermarket speakers I find are blown, broken or not worth the cost. The German cars sometimes have some decent oem speakers but not enough to justify using them.

I definitely would not make trip to the junkyard just to look for speakers.
                      Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

found a complete set (6.5, x-overs, tweeters ) of Boston acoustics rally edition (299.99 retail about 10 years ago) in an accord. got them for $20 bucks... and also found an alpine 9830 with remote and all, for $25. both are installed in my vehicle and work flawlessly... I've found countless sets of speakers (pioneer, Polk, infinity, Rockford,) that I've bough and sold over the years... you just have to have patience and a little luck on your side...

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
                          I found a good set of boston separates that ended up costing around $30. Usually the aftermarket speakers I find are blown, broken or not worth the cost. The German cars sometimes have some decent oem speakers but not enough to justify using them.

I definitely would not make trip to the junkyard just to look for speakers.
                          I usually judge the vehicle interior condition, if I'm going to snag the speakers or not. I haven't had any bad luck yet, and if the speakers are no good, the yards around here will let you swap for another pair in the yard or credit towards another part. Like I said above though, anything really really good, the preppers will snag before they put the car on the yard.
                          For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Comment

Working...
                          X