Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Wagon Rear Speaker Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagon Rear Speaker Dilemma

From what I can tell after looking at the wiring diagram in the service manual, the rather pathetic stock "subwoofer", that comes with the 1991 EX-R wagon, isn't run independently, but is running off of the wires of the rear speakers.

So here's my dilemma: I need to replace my rear speakers, but I'm wondering if a brand new Non-OEM set will be too efficient, and therefore no power would end up making it to the "sub"???

Also, the stock rear speakers say they're 12 ohms ...I've never seen anything that high in a car stereo before...but I'm ignorant.

Anyways, I'd just like to know if I absolutely have to order a new set of OEM speakers, or would a non-OEM set (with only 4 ohms) work??

TIA!!
    1991 Honda Accord EX (Canadian)

i don't much about the ex-r models but i do know wagons. now by sub u mean the single 6x9? now if its the 6x9 then it has 2 wires that run to it. u can do wat i did, i slapped 2 pioneers in the rear. one where ur stock 6x9 goes hooked to one of the wires and andother 6x9 custom fitted in the rear right door with the other wire to it. and it makes a huge difference. good luck
    Last edited by JARHEAD293; 04-19-2006, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JARHEAD293
      i don't much about the ex-r models but i do know wagons. now by sub u mean the single 6x9? now if its the 6x9 then it has 2 wires that run to it. u can do wat i did, i slapped 2 pioneers in the rear. one where ur stock 6x9 goes hooked to one of the wires and andother 6x9 custom fitted in the rear right door with the other wire to it. and it makes a huge difference. good luck
      Okay...that's something I would do, I love 6x9's.
      However...it's not really my car...it's my dads. If it was my sedan we're talking 'bout, different story.

Anywhoo, I still don't get why the tiny little roof-mounted speakers are rated at 12 ohms , and more and more I'm starting to like my theory that new, more efficient, speakers will prevent the "sub" from getting any juice...not that it does much anyway.
      1991 Honda Accord EX (Canadian)

Comment

I have pioneer's up top in those 4's and ran the stock (subwoofer) for a while and it worked just fine, I eventually did what jarhead did but yes the sub will still work.

Comment

Originally posted by JARHEAD293
          Do you mean two SETS of wires ? My 6x9 has four wires hooked up to it. I'm thinking about cutting that hole out to fit a 10" sub, but I'm not sure how hard that would be. Two 6x9's does sound a little easier.

Comment

i had one mtx 6x9 on the driver side... there was just a cargo area on the right... but yea... now its all just gutted...hahah

SOLD!

Comment

Does any company make a 6x9 "sub"? Mine had/has 2 sets of wires running it.

Its been a while but my guess for the speakers being 12ohm is to balance out the basially bridged 6x9 so the receiver sees 4 ohms per ch. If I am completely wrong its been a while and cant remember how to calculate it.
              1992 CB9-stock

Comment

Then they would have to be wired in parallel and bridged through the hu, which means all 4 speakers are getting the same signal.
                I think boston acoustics makes a 6x9 sub if you can call it that.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

CDT Audio makes a 6x9 midbass...I'm gonna buy a pair once I sell my subs/amp.

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I remember hookin up 2 6x9's from those wires where the stock "sub" used to be and supplied music to my friends party for a little while. They wont get loud because I had 6 speakers runnin off of a 4 speaker headunit with no amp. Those little 4 inch speakers dont need alot of power....the most power I have seen them need is 50 watts rms...and thats a high performance speaker. So like if your dad doesnt listen to rap or any kind of bassy music too loud I would say hes more than ok.

Comment

Working...
                    X