Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

CAPACITOR Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAPACITOR Question?

i already have a cap in my car but i want to put in two just to be safe on my power. am runing 2amps and a crossover and just like i said want to be safe. the cap i got in is a 1Farad so am looking for something better. i was wondering what is a good name brand for caps? or it doesnt matter a cap is a cap?

also. is it good that i run two caps?

let me know people!!

Thanks alot

Not to jack a thread, but i have a very similar question.

i have a 680w ensen amp pushing a 12" sony xplod sub, whats ize cap should i get?
    My Cardomain-Invite me!

Comment

caps dont do any thing, but put more strain on the alternator.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

umm is that right? can anyone say the same or have a different option? i would think if u had two amps runing and have the bass hiting all the time that ur alternator would go even faster? or even ur battery. i dont know. i think i need more options on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord
          caps dont do any thing, but put more strain on the alternator.
          Uhhh wrong. A capacitor is a neccesary part of a performance sound system. From what you guys are saying your systems put out you should be more than safe with a 1 farad capacitor. Brand does matter as some brands use inferior metals and there response times make the cap almost useless. You also want to make sure you have a capacitor with the proper voltage surge. For a basic setup a 24 volt surge is all you need. So just enjoy your systems with the 1 farad capacitor, your not going to need a 2 farad. Peace
          To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

i thought caps helped your cars electrical system?? doesn't a cap store energy so when the bass hits it doesn't put such a strain on your car?

Click ^^^ for MR Thread
            Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
            by the way, arguing on the net is like womens basketball, even if you win, no one cares.

Comment

Originally posted by papychulo82
              i thought caps helped your cars electrical system?? doesn't a cap store energy so when the bass hits it doesn't put such a strain on your car?
              Yeah it does. But it only works for a little burst. Not some constant crazy bass. Instead of wasting money on a cap, which you won't notice the difference, why not spend the money on a better alternator that will enable you to expand your system in the future.
              Honda83, how much WRMS do your 2 amps put out?
              Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
              -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
              MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

Yes a cap does store energy and when the bass hits, that energy goes to the amp and has to be "refilled" by the alt. If the alt. is already struggling to power the amp by its self, then a cap is only going to make it worse.
                No caps are not "necessary" for a performance sound system. Why do you figure that?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

my voice amp is 200watts and my rockford is 1000. and i got a 1farad now. but i just wanted to add two caps. like i said just to be safe. i wanted to get like a 2farad one to add to it

Comment

the general rule is 1 farad per 1000 watts so you should be good for now.
                    If you see your lights dimming though, you might want to get a ho alt.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

i push right at 1000w and don't have a cap. haven't had a problem and i have been running that much for at least 7 years. later.
                      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by SoySauceCb7
                        Uhhh wrong. A capacitor is a neccesary part of a performance sound system. From what you guys are saying your systems put out you should be more than safe with a 1 farad capacitor. Brand does matter as some brands use inferior metals and there response times make the cap almost useless. You also want to make sure you have a capacitor with the proper voltage surge. For a basic setup a 24 volt surge is all you need. So just enjoy your systems with the 1 farad capacitor, your not going to need a 2 farad. Peace
                        uh, you're wrong...caps aren't necessary at all...just like camber kits...there are plenty of rock-solid ways around caps that make them completely unnecessary..

but on to the kid's question...you "need" (ha, the irony) 1 farad of capacitance for about every 1000wRMS that you are running..so i'd need about a farad and a half..you can prolly just stay as you are, and you don't even need a cap most likely..

a stock alternator for most cars can easily handle up to and including 600wRMS

*edit* yeah, i dont use a cap...

Comment

Ok you can go ahead and think whatever newbie stuff you want. Ive been in the car audio business for over 4 years, i own my own car audio business and i am a third year electrical engineering student at the university of connecticut . please spare your breath and dont try to argue with me take my advise or leave it. what do i care
                          To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

But do you have a reason why caps are needed?
                            Im always open to learn new things.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

There's definetely tons of talk out there for and against the use of caps. There's pro's and engineers on both sides of the argument. If you read the technical reason for how they work and what they are suppose to do, it makes since. For people wanting the absolute perfect system or most SPL maybe they need them. I haven't seen any hard proof though. Having a .2 dip in voltage doesn't bother me or my amps though, and seeing as most of us are poor, I'd rather buy something else for my car. I think it's just another thing marketed in the audio marketplace for people to buy. You know that 90% of the people who buy them do so because someone told them this or that, without even reading up on what they do.
                              Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
                              -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
                              MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

Working...
                              X