Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

I am forgetting something...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am forgetting something...

So, I am just about ready to install a sub. I have removed the retractable antenna and replaced it with a powered "nub" antenna. The area that the retractable antenna used to take up has been cleared out and I made a quick MDF face to mount a sub to. I have put sound deadener in the hole where it once was and have filled the edges with expandible foam sealant. Basically, I have made it so the rear fender is now acting as a sealed box. I feel like I am missing something and I am nervous about having a big ass magnet right there. Is there something that the magnetic field will interfere with?

I am using a 600w Sony amp (yeah it's not fancy JL shit, but it was $55 bucks and I am a single dad so blow me...). I also have purchased a Pioneer 10" shallow mount sub. This is connected to an Alpine headunit with Kenwood 6 1/2" in the doors. It is a wagon, so I have to replace the top speakers, but have yet to take the time to drop the headliner and figure out what I need to do.

What am I missing?! What the heck am I forgetting to do?!

-c

i have no clue wat u r missing but i would love to see some pics man

Comment

uh... whats the matter?

Comment

when you say "shallow sub" how much air space does the sub need? You may want to measure the space to make sure that it is not too much air. It sounds like you have everything.

Comment

Are you talking about the area around where the 6x9" used to be? If so, then the area behind it is a hole lot bigger than it looks. How are you going to be able to tell how much volume your "enclosure" is going to be? Other than that, everything sounds fine.

Originally posted by Maple50175
          Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Good point on the volume. I actually may have too much space.

The sub that I am using is a Pioneer TS-SW2541D. The mounting depth per Pioneer is 2.88". The ideal space for my installation is .6 cubic feet.

Now, you may be asking yourself, how is he going to determine that volume. Actually, that is something that I have had to do before and it is pretty simple.

1) Make the area you want to fill what you think is the approximate size of the volume you are shooting for.

2) Get a good quality plastic garbage bag. Or two.

3) Calculate the volume of space that you are shooting for in a measurable amount. I.E. .6 cubic feet is about 4.5 gallons. (the easiest way to figure that out is to type ".6 cubic feet in gallons" in Google and it gives you the answer...)

4) Add that much water or sand to the bag and see if it fits. I have a buddy that always uses sand to prevent getting leaks, but I personally think you can get a more accurate measurement with water. Or fill up the bag with it in the hole. This will usually make sure you get an absolute fill...

Viola! I now now how much space I have. Of course not yet, but I will!

Tell you guys what, I will make a complete write up about this when I finally get to do it. Unfortunately, it won't be for a couple of weeks. I already have taken pictures about what I have done thus far. I will share the rest as I do it.

I had forgotten about being exact about the space. Got cocky and that was the step I was missing. Thank you for catching that. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people complain that their speakers suck when in reality, they built a good box that was not ideally suited. Also, for most of us out in the world that prefer clear music, a sealed box will give much better results than either a ported or a bandpass.

-c

Comment

Originally posted by Wagon Daddy
              Also, for most of us out in the world that prefer clear music, a sealed box will give much better results than either a ported or a bandpass.
              True dat, bro, true dat

Edit: Glad to hear you figured out your problem. PS-way to rep the wag
              Last edited by Tnwagn; 09-20-2006, 10:14 PM.

Originally posted by Maple50175
              Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Personaly I would spray the inside with some ruberised under coating. to reduce vibration and to help seal it.

Comment

I think I remember seeing somewhere that the formula for figuring out cubic feet in a space was LxWxH/1728. Someone can confirm or correct.

Comment

Yup, 1728 cubic inches in 1 cubic foot.
                    1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

But his caculating problem was hes working with alot of irregular surfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratical
                        But his caculating problem was hes working with alot of irregular surfaces.

Yep, I don't know where I would find l*w*h off of the inside of a fender

As far as using rubberized undercoating for the inside of the fender, not such a great idea. Undercoating works great on the outside of a car. Not so good on the inside because it will generally begin to come off in the heat. It is better to use a butyl based sound insulation like Dynamat Extreme so that it doesn't come off over time... I will also be filling the hole with some sort of damping material; probably house insulation, it works well...

Comment

Working...
                        X