Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Inside the oil pan of an F22A1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside the oil pan of an F22A1

Recently popped my oil pan off to redo the gasket. Found it fascinating.

The oil routing galleys are remarkable. Haven't seen a production engine before that runs dedicated galleys for the main and rod bearings directly from the oil pump and not thru passages cast into the block sides. Must be why these engines last so long.

Those honda engineers were clever, brilliant, and very careful with how they designed everything. The 'cheap cars' but almost over-engineered by today's standards. I like when other people appreciate it!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Honda's engineering back then was fantastic. Their products are still great, but back then they had something to prove. The 1st and 2nd gen Accords were efficient and reliable. The 3rd generation showed Honda's sporty side. The 4th generation went towards luxury, and proof that Honda can do more than just "cheap and reliable". Aside from a propensity for rust and a couple questionable design choices (hub over rotor front brakes, for example...) Honda really knocked it out of the park with the CB.
      Sadly, I feel the quality started to fall off a little by the 5th generation, and the 6th generation was rock-bottom for the Accord.
      I've had 3rd through 7th generation Accords in my household over the last 20 years, and I've worked on them all... and the CB is by far the best of them in my opinion. I may be a little biased, though...

Comment

I wonder if it does go directly from the pump to the crank unfiltered? You may not believe it, but the small block chevy (1955-2002), did not filter the crank bearing oil. Weird huh?

Comment

Originally posted by bry593 View Post
          I wonder if it does go directly from the pump to the crank unfiltered? You may not believe it, but the small block chevy (1955-2002), did not filter the crank bearing oil. Weird huh?
          It might. I didn't look that closely at the routing, the oil pump may have ran up to the filter, then from the filter dropped down to that center galley. The oil filter is directly in line with the center oil pipe positioned over the #3 main bearing so that would be the logical place to connect it regardless of whether it was flowing to the bearings first, then the filter, or to the filter first, then the bearings.
          I can see SBC's getting away with it but Honda engines run significantly tighter tolerances, I don't think their engineers would be very happy with unfiltered oil going to the main bearings.

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
          Those honda engineers were clever, brilliant, and very careful with how they designed everything. The 'cheap cars' but almost over-engineered by today's standards.
          They really are. This is a economy car yet feels more luxurious and feature-rich than even most modern luxury cars are. Like, even the paneling is so nice, that vinyl-covered wood fiber is tough stuff. And they run literally forever!
          Last edited by SaddleMtnMan; 09-22-2023, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Nice photo, thanks for sharing. Your under side looks pretty clean, meaning, free of rust.

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornHondaSE View Post
              Nice photo, thanks for sharing. Your under side looks pretty clean, meaning, free of rust.
              of course! thanks, this is a pacific northwest car, lived most it's life in the Portland area and was clearly garage kept too. things don't rust too bad around here. despite our DOT not using salt I still try and wash the undersides of my winter cars relatively frequently.

Comment

Working...
              X