Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

240SX Or AE86 Corolla Help!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always wondered if the MR2 would be a good drift choice. With the engine mounted toward the rear of the car (even though it's still a mid-engined car), I always assumed it'd be too tail-heavy to drift reliably. I've never seen a drift MR2. They are pretty sweet cars, though... I like every generation of them (even the wussy last generation.)

The 240sx suspension isn't total crap, you're right... But when I was considering swapping a 240sx engine bay and rear subframe into my 3rd gen Accord, I had 240sx owners (that were also familiar with those Accords) telling me that swapping to a full 240sx suspension would be a total downgrade.

Comment

get an Infiniti M30!

http://www.motormavens.com/2010/03/w...-vegas-pro-am/
      The black car.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        I always wondered if the MR2 would be a good drift choice. With the engine mounted toward the rear of the car (even though it's still a mid-engined car), I always assumed it'd be too tail-heavy to drift reliably. I've never seen a drift MR2. They are pretty sweet cars, though... I like every generation of them (even the wussy last generation.)

The 240sx suspension isn't total crap, you're right... But when I was considering swapping a 240sx engine bay and rear subframe into my 3rd gen Accord, I had 240sx owners (that were also familiar with those Accords) telling me that swapping to a full 240sx suspension would be a total downgrade.
        pros have a difficult time maintaining a drift on an mr2. i'm trying to find a clean second gen even the non-turbo if i can find one. swap in a 2zz into the mr-s and you got yourself a poorman's lotus elise

Comment

Unless you plan on being frusterated, annoyed and hitting your head against the wall everytime you work on it dont go with the cressida.

There is little to no aftermarket so its not an easy project car.....I see this all the time on a cressida forum Im on....people buy the car wanting to go "hellaflush" (mention that on it and youll get flamed to all living hell) and drift it.....then realize there are no direct bolt on parts they can buy and they will actually have to think and learn (dear god no) to make the car get to where they want it.....they inevitably give up.

There is TONS of potential in the chassis....but its fucking hard to tap into it....it will never be the car people drool over....it wont turn heads and it wont get you pussy....all it is, is a car that youll constantly have to explain what it is and where it came from.....you really have to have a love for the chassis to get anywhere with it.

Go with the 240....you can build it off ebay.

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

Im partial to the Toyotas, not the Nissans so much anymore, aside from something completely legit like an ACTUAL RB26 or even RB25 Skyline, R32, R33, R34, id take any of the above. But Ive built a few Toyotas, AE85 and RA65 Corollas and Celicas, My heart is always with the 86 when it comes to RWD cheap projects, Corolla GTS is far better and faster than the RA65 celica GTS in its stock form, but that 22RE responds EXCELLENT to a turbo, but the car is heavy as hell, more so than the 4AGE for the same price range, Although, that 4AGE revs for DAYS, my last one bounced at 10k. Im just tired of seeing all the SR20 nissans and "DRIFT" cars in my hood, there seems to be more of them than civics anymore, and THATS saying something. If you love the box body cars like I do, Cressida is a good choice as well, and more abstract to what you normally see.
            Last edited by Jarnutt; 05-22-2011, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Yeah, beat-to-shit 240s are a dime a dozen anymore. It's sad. When they're done well, they're really nice looking cars... but ever since the drift craze hit, they're just beat up old clunkers rolling around anymore.

Toyota always bugged me... they're the world's largest car manufacturer, and they still have Yamaha make their heads!

Comment

AE86 ftw.

^^^^^
                Click picture for MRT

Sparkin CB7

Comment

h22sparkle said it best...

Both cars are going to be beat to shit. They're old, they're popular among tuners and drifters, and anything affordable is going to be beat. If they're not beat, they're going to command a high price.

In stock form, the 240sx actually isn't a great car. The suspension setup isn't great at all. You can modify the hell out of it and get some nice performance, but most 240sx drivers that I've spoken to (that were former Accord owners) agreed that the 240's suspension was crap. The only upsides to the 240sx are 1) they are quite common... so you'll find them in junkyards, and you'll have your pick when buying one (lots of clapped-out beaters to choose from!) and 2) there's a HUGE aftermarket for them, so parts will be easy to come by.

The AE86 is old as dirt, quite uncommon, and they fetch a very high price unless they're in terrible shape. They really are quite primitive vehicles... but they're also light as hell. The aftermarket is decent, given the age of the vehicle. However, replacement and aftermarket parts for it may fetch a premium price.
                  I think they're cool because they are uncommon... and I'm also an Initial D fan.

Just remember, both cars are popular drifting cars not because they're great choices... but because they're cheap RWD beaters. They gained popularity because a poor street racer could afford to buy one and beat on it.

If you want a "cool" car, I'd get the AE86. Fix it up nice. Restore it, modify it tastefully, and don't beat the shit out of it. If you want a drift toy, get the 240sx, because that's less likely to put you in the poorhouse as you pay for upgrades and repairs... and if you destroy it, at least there are still a ton of them on the road. A wrecked AE86 is a truly sad thing to see.

Other RWD cars that would actually be decent choices are:
                  Miata
                  Mustang
                  Camaro/Firebird
                  Volvo 240/740/940
                  RX7 (as long as you don't mind learning how to maintain and repair a rotary engine... I think they're cool as hell.)
                  BMW 3 series (e30 and e36 are very affordable these days... stay away from the 318, as they're known to have head gasket problems)
                  Starion/Conquest
                  Nissan/Datsun Z

There are plenty of options. I honestly think your top two choices are overpriced in today's market, because they're the cars everyone thinks of when they want a drift car. If the rear wheels spin, you can drift it.
                  Yeah the only reason why i wanted the ae86 is because of initial d and the 20 valve 4A-GE motor makes me have an orgasm cause it sounds so wet lol

Thing is i love both of these cars and see what everyones point of view of these cars <ups/downs> and so..... yeah i think i may go with the 240 due to its more common and the parts are easy to come by

BTW Thanks for the support again guys i would be pretty stuck with out your help
                  HELLAFLUSH 4 Me Coming Soon In Spring 2012

Comment

Originally posted by King James View Post
                    Unless you plan on being frusterated, annoyed and hitting your head against the wall everytime you work on it dont go with the cressida.

There is little to no aftermarket so its not an easy project car.....I see this all the time on a cressida forum Im on....people buy the car wanting to go "hellaflush" (mention that on it and youll get flamed to all living hell) and drift it.....then realize there are no direct bolt on parts they can buy and they will actually have to think and learn (dear god no) to make the car get to where they want it.....they inevitably give up.

There is TONS of potential in the chassis....but its fucking hard to tap into it....it will never be the car people drool over....it wont turn heads and it wont get you pussy....all it is, is a car that youll constantly have to explain what it is and where it came from.....you really have to have a love for the chassis to get anywhere with it.

Go with the 240....you can build it off ebay.

LMFAO this is so true when the average person sees an cressida they thinks its a camry of some sort rofl like my mother

Comment

Originally posted by jdmCB907 View Post
                      Yeah the only reason why i wanted the ae86 is because of initial d and the 20 valve 4A-GE motor makes me have an orgasm cause it sounds so wet lol

Thing is i love both of these cars and see what everyones point of view of these cars <ups/downs> and so..... yeah i think i may go with the 240 due to its more common and the parts are easy to come by

BTW Thanks for the support again guys i would be pretty stuck with out your help
                      240sx has a more rigid chassis

Comment

The AE86 coupes are fairly rigid... sadly, the "cool" one to have is the hatchback.

The 240sx is indeed more rigid, but even that is pretty damn floppy! Aside from looks, the only things the 240sx really has going for it are price, availability, and aftermarket support. It's a passable chassis, but it's hardly a superior design.

Comment

i think im just gonna go with a 240sx due to the fact that there are alot of aftermarket parts for it so and for good prices

Comment

dude,why the search of a 240sx or ae86 all the sudden?what happened to the hellaflush cb7?are you giving up on the cb???...
                            in reference to your post,and my honest opinion and as a ae86 owner,i gotta say that the ae86 is a platform that a complete rookie shouldnt have(meaning has no automotive knowledge whatsoever not intended to you daniel)due to the fact that the ae86 being one of the rarest and few nice driftable and cool looking cars i have ever seen whether is the hatchiroku or the zenki or kouki styles..it can be the most time consuming,pocket raper project ever.reason why i have my ae86 is to one day have a 2jz/1jz swap,6 speed trans,4-500 hp,gutted,roll caged,in other words the whole 9 yrs...but being the fact that just swap alone is about 7k...is my long life project..i have my cb9 as my now project and hopefully weekend driver..and the ae86 is a whole diferent animal,everything must be custom or bought top dollar if you know what i mean,just the tein super drift suspension is 3000 alone!no efdc...so my honest opinion to you is,keep the cb,learn more from it and develop your automotive skills by using the cb as an example,then after you have the cb at a decent/nice shape find another project,dont be project hopping,just stick with what you have and instead of spending another 2k on another car,buy an H or something for your cb!...again not trying to be an ass or something daniel,just trying to give you a friendly advice...good luck!

Comment

The AE86 coupes are fairly rigid... sadly, the "cool" one to have is the hatchback.

The 240sx is indeed more rigid, but even that is pretty damn floppy! Aside from looks, the only things the 240sx really has going for it are price, availability, and aftermarket support. It's a passable chassis, but it's hardly a superior design.
                              forgot to mention the ae86 is 50/50 weight ratio and is super light,i believe is about 1600 lbs.reason why this car should be considered a wanted platform for awsome swaps:2jz,rb's,sr's,ka's,f20c's,20b's,7mgte's,etc. ..

Comment

Actually, it's more like 2200lbs, and 54/46 weight distribution.

Comment

Working...
                                X