Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Acceleration 0-80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acceleration 0-80

Basically I want a lot of low end power and a lot of torque to get me up to speed quickly, I don't care about going that fast, just like in the 0-60 or 0-80 range is really all I'm concerned about. What kind of things can I do to increase that without spending a lot of money on things that increase top end power that I don't really want. thanks

no way to really raise your torque without raising high end power.......WHIP OUT THE NITROUS if you wanna get up to speed quick . Other than that a supercharger will be ur best friend. But on a budget, nitrous would definately be the way to go but i dont think thats the kind of answer you are lookin for.

Comment

Do an engine swap. The H22 and H23 have more torque and low-end power from what I have been reading over the last year. I am getting an H22 soon. A kinda doing good in school present.

Forced induction can also boost torque curves to concave upward. Maybe turbo. I am sure the more experienced people on here can inform you too. Also this site is filled with a lot of useful information. You'll find it all as time goes on. Good luck.
      The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success
        Do an engine swap. The H22 and 23 have mor torque and low-end power from what I have been reading over the last year. I am getting an H22 soon. A kinda doing good in school present.

Forced induction can also boost torque curves to concave upward. Maybe turbo. I am sure the more experienced people on here can inform you too. Also this site is filled with a lot of useful information. You'll find it all as time goes on. Good luck.
        H22 doesn't have much torque than a F22 plus the H22 is a higher RPM engine compared to the F22, Torque is found at lower RPM, HP up top
        wat?

Comment

yup what he said

no
          Accord turbo kit under $2k here
          $30 HID kits here Thread
          "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
          "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

weight reduction

Comment

Originally posted by 93accordexcoupe
              weight reduction
              Beat me to it or a close ratio trans. Mainly a t2w4 of an F20B. ATR is closer if you can find one.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

If you want "a lot of low end power" without spending a fortune, turbocharging is the way to go.
                14b or T25 turbo - $50-$150(for 150 it better be rebuilt)
                oil lines for turbo - $80
                downpipe - $30-$100(depends on whether you can weld yourself)
                dsm manifold - $40
                dsm bov - $20
                dsm injectors - $40
                dsm SMIC - $15
                piping - $30
                ebay 2.5" exhaust - $140 (not necessary)
                boost gauge - $15
                chipped ECU - $50-$150(depends on whether you can chip it yourself)
                street tune - $200-$600(depends on whether you want to buy all the stuff and do it yourself or can find a somebody who know what they are doing)
                good clutch - $200-$300

total $800 - $1700; this setup good for 200-250wtq
                so you COULD do it for $800.00 if you can do everything yourself and find a good tuner.
                h22 swap (with tranny and ECU) - $2000; only good for 140-160wtq
                Last edited by rexload; 03-04-2008, 06:49 PM.

Comment

I'd never say a turbo gives you low end power... unless you count over 3000 RPM as low end.

The terms Torque and HP are nebulous... Horsepower is simply a function of torque at a given RPM... without RPM, you get now power.

Quite simply, you won't go fast having a lot of torque, it's horsepower you need... you could have 500 ft-lbs @ 500 RPM and 125 Hp @ 7000 RPM and it will not improve your acceleration one bit (given equal drivers and correct gearing). The one thing low end torque is good for is launching, because you don't need to spin the engine up as high to launch if you have good low end torque... takes less clutch feathering.

That said, you should be concerned with increasing horsepower if you want a faster accelerating car, and as that increases so will your "low end" torque... but with small engines like we're talking about, you're never going to see any torque to write home about (let alone anything that I'd ever consider "low end") unless you really have some boost running through the engine.

I think you'd be better off with an H22A swap... I wouldn't want to boost a stock bottom end high eough to get 200 WTq... You'd probably be over 300 Hp at the bare minimum. And to handle that power it would start to run up a decent sized bill just for the internal work.
                  Last edited by ChillPhatCat; 03-04-2008, 07:21 PM.
                  1991 Accord LX, 2Dr, 5 Spd, P12 ECU, Ebay Short Ram, Megan 4-2-1, Full 2.25" Ebay Exhaust + 60 Series Flowmaster.

1987 Camaro IROC-Z/28, 350 Crate, 700R4, 2.73 Posi, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Summit Headers, 3" Catco Cat, 3" Hooker Cat-back, Pioneer DEH-7800 HU, 600W Pioneer Amp, 350W 10" Pioneer Sub + 6 Pioneer Speakers.

Comment

Not all turbochargers start spooling above 3000rpm.
                    Also you can have an F22 setup that makes 200wtq/200whp.
                    The OP said "I want a lot of low end power and a lot of torque" From what he said I think he doesn't care about going as fast as possible, just wants the car to feel pretty fast.

Comment

AS I STATED!!!! THROW IN THE NAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWZZZZZZZ!!!!! Tell me there is a better way to get acceleration and instant torque.....

Comment

Originally posted by rexload
                        Not all turbochargers start spooling above 3000rpm.
                        Also you can have an F22 setup that makes 200wtq/200whp.
                        The OP said "I want a lot of low end power and a lot of torque" From what he said I think he doesn't care about going as fast as possible, just wants the car to feel pretty fast.
                        I'd shake the guy's hand that can make 200 WHp/200 WTq that spools at 2000 RPM on a $1700 budget... I simply don't think those estimates are realistic... as a general rule of thumb, you should take the high estimate for costs for any modification and double that to get a more realistic figure. My guess is that this guy is gonna need some help if he's asking this question (no offense)... and labor is what will kill him in costs (unless he's sleeping with his mechanic)... H22A, Tranny and ECU would be a lot less work to install.

The OP said he cared about getting to 60 or 80 fast... and that's not gonna happen without some horsepower... he'll have to go (all the way) through at least 2 or 3 gears to get there.

To me it sounds like he's looking for cheap speed though.. and neither an H22 swap or Turbo are all that cheap of a solution...
                        1991 Accord LX, 2Dr, 5 Spd, P12 ECU, Ebay Short Ram, Megan 4-2-1, Full 2.25" Ebay Exhaust + 60 Series Flowmaster.

1987 Camaro IROC-Z/28, 350 Crate, 700R4, 2.73 Posi, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Summit Headers, 3" Catco Cat, 3" Hooker Cat-back, Pioneer DEH-7800 HU, 600W Pioneer Amp, 350W 10" Pioneer Sub + 6 Pioneer Speakers.

Comment

for inexpensive, id say to short ram intake, header, exhaust.

that would run you say, 700$, for decent stuff. but you can get it cheaper.

you might also throw a h23 plenum in there too.
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

The 14b can spool lower than 3000rpm. Small turbo - immediate spool which = response which = failure in top end.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            I piss off people for fun.
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah
                              for inexpensive, id say to short ram intake, header, exhaust.

that would run you say, 700$, for decent stuff. but you can get it cheaper.

you might also throw a h23 plenum in there too.
                              the h23 plenum and a6 runners makes a big difference. i threw in an empty IAB plate as a spacer and it did wonders at 4800 rpms

Comment

Working...
                              X