Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

yea umm problem with 3rd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea umm problem with 3rd gear

so while i was driving today coming from work i go to put in 3rd, being very regular, but when i tried to put it in, i heard this grinding noise and the trans would not take 3rd. i tried to force it but when it seemed like it was in gear i let off the clutch and it would be like i didnt put the gear all the way in. i played around with it when i got home and i got it to go in like twice but if i was in 3rd and i came to a complete stop, when i release the clutch it acts as if the gear is not all the way in. Did i lose 3rd?

I'd say 3rd is gone, enjoy 4th and 5th
    90 accord EX automatic F22A4 232,500
    DIY ram intake
    0gauge/4gauge BIG 3
    stock alt rewound to 120amps
    optima orange top 830cca 1030ca
    fully synthetic valvoline "Max Life" 5w30

Other rides:
    2004 Jeep Liberty v6
    2001 Honda civic ex coupe 1.7 vtec

Comment

Yup now you gotta get a pimp shinz nit 4 speed shift knob. At least 5th didn't go out with gas at 4 bucks.
      -1991 Honda Accord LX H22a-

Comment

ok so i guess i have to replace the tranny. how much to rebuild?

Comment

It would be better if u got one from the junk yard and ask for a 30 day warranty. that would be bout $250 where i live and for a rebuilt installed would be bout $1000 to $1200 give or take

Comment

my 3rd gear grinds also if i try to go into 3rd after 2nd gear almost redlines, or I downshift from 5th real quick above 50mph. but if i shift normally, 3rd is fine. im beginning to lose 3rd, but not yet, eventually ill have to swap the tranny out also.

my family has done quite a few tranny swaps at home. around oregon rebuilt tranny for hondas are usually around $300.

rebuilt trannys work excellent.

Comment

Just for clarity, you guys aren't actually losing your gears. The actual gears are helical cut and stay meshed all the time. What you are actually witnessing is the deterioration of your synchronizers, the mechanisms that help to match the engine speed with the road speed. However, in our Accords, replacing a synchronizer entails replacing actual gear too, since our synchro-sleeves aren't of the floating type, but are cast parts of the gear itself. All this means that replacing synchros on our transmissions is fairly expensive. I myself paid over $600 in parts and $400 in labor to replace two synchronizers and some bearings.

Look at the bright side though: Getting your transmission rebuilt is like getting a new transmission, as opposed to just getting a junkyard piece.

Comment

Originally posted by alkoholikwun
                my 3rd gear grinds also if i try to go into 3rd after 2nd gear almost redlines, or I downshift from 5th real quick above 50mph. but if i shift normally, 3rd is fine. im beginning to lose 3rd, but not yet, eventually ill have to swap the tranny out also.

my family has done quite a few tranny swaps at home. around oregon rebuilt tranny for hondas are usually around $300.

rebuilt trannys work excellent.

my third is almost out but not yet maybe in a year or less
                The most influential people have influential friends i have none but peer pressure!!!

Comment

you will need a press and the proper setup for gear replacement

synchros go out...this seems like it's the syncros
                  ____

Comment

You could always change the fluid to some synthetic Honda MTF or GM Synchromesh. It MIGHT make things work a little better for the time being. It won't fix the problem, and it'll only be a band-aid at best... but it could keep it working a little better while you plan for a rebuild or replacement.

A rebuild would be best, since a used replacement transmission may develop a similar problem very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                    X