Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

car runs starts and runs fine untill about 20mins riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car runs starts and runs fine untill about 20mins riding

ok, as stated in the title my car starts and runs normal when it is first started. idles, accelerates and runs great... until about 20 minutes into a ride then it idles very roughly. I would have to keep my foot on the gas a bit to keep the car from stalling out.

the original engine had a head gasket blown so i had a 5th gen motor swapped in, it was a f22b2 i think. what I've done so far to try and remedy the problem has been: plugs, plug wires, cap, the whole distributor, fuel filter wasn't to long ago, cleaned the egr, iacv, re soldered the main relay.... couldn't fix the problem. a friend told me it may be the fuel pump? i need some input on this, and hopefully it could fix my problem. again the engine runs like normal and idles fine until about 20mins into a drive. Thanks in advance

Have you tried adjusting the idle? It's gonna idle high at first, but after the car warms up, the idle should be around 600-800rpms? After cleaning just the IACV, I had to re-adjust my idle. You seem to've done a lot more. Check it out.
    98' Mustang 3V Swap
    11' VW CC R36

Comment

yeah i did adjust the idle, car is warmed up and idles fine at 800. it does run and idle fine at first but for some reason when it runs a little longer something would just go bad and make the car idle very roughly . oh forgot to mention that there is a smell of gas when it does start to idle rough.... you can smell it from the back of the car from the exhaust and then into the car cabin.

Comment

had the same thing awhile back, changed the alternator, and it was fine.
        look into that

Comment

could it be the alternator? and what would cause it to do that?... but ill look at some prices

Comment

Do you get a CEL when this happens? sounds to me like one of your cylinders stops firing, have you ever tried pushing down on your plugwires when this happens. Used to happen to me.

Comment

happened to me when i took off my valve cover and after puting beck forgot to put that smaller vacum line to it, after short drive on stop light my car stalled. so the problem was vacum leak. check for that.

Comment

truthfully..... the CEL light has been on ever since i got the car! =X which has been about 2 years now. motor was swapped into the car about 9-10 months ago? and it was left behind in new orleans when we had to evacuate from the storm.... sooo yeahhhh. its been through some sh!t, ive tried to check the code by the blue connector on the passenger and nothing happens. i could also believe that a cylinder stops firing... but dont know about pushing down on the plugs. if i leave the car to cool off in about 3 hours the car will run fine again

as for vacuum leak, the car runs normally for a good while and then starts to idle rough. if i gas it and go it would accelerate and run fine, its just the crappy idle it gives me. im trying to blame something electrical for causing this

Comment

help?

Comment

first things first. fix the CEL problem. if you can't pull codes, then you might want to consider swapping the ecu. you will never get your car to run right until that CEL issue is resolved.

perhaps the 5th gen motor requires a 5th gen ECU?
                    '93 EX-R 5spd

Comment

question, my previous ecu never gave me a code when i jumped the connector but i changed it. so this other one gives me only long blinks and keeps on going. i would assume it telling me that its #10 and keeps repeating right?

Comment

just to follow up on things. ecu didnt give me a CEL code because it was bad, so i changed it to another one. New one gave me a 10 which was the intake air temperature sensor. Changed the sensor, now it runs fine. so the problem all that time was the iat sensor. have a nice day

Comment

glad you got it resolved.
                          "I'm a dude playing a dude, disguised as another dude"
                          "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Romans 10:9
                          ><((((º>

Comment

Thanks for sharing the resolution as well... It helps to know what fixed a problem, when someone else comes along with the same problem!

Comment

tmaiii do u have a pic of the Air Temperature Sensor?
                              Last edited by hondaguy305; 10-14-2008, 03:57 AM.
                              You Can Catch me Ridin In My CB Eyes On The Rearview Lookin For The Police

Comment

Working...
                              X