Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Front Motor Mount DIY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Motor Mount DIY?

Is there a DIY for replacing the front motor mount? I've searched for it, but I can't find a DIY. It looks like it's just a matter of unscrewing the top and bottom bolts, taking the old piece out and putting the new one in, but a link to a DIY would be helpful in case there are tricks/other things to be aware of!

Meanwhile, do I need to support the motor when I replace this mount? I don't have a jack or anything - would wedging some 2x4's under the oil pan be sufficient? I know, that sounds sketchy - but I'm trying to work with what I've got!

Thanks.
    Mark

just replace the mount...no big deal....no tricks or nothing

Comment

you dont need 2 support the motor. and when u unbolt the 2 bolts... u dont have 2 put a wrench or anything on the nut's. they have clips the go into the mounts so all u gotta do is unbolt the bolt and ur good 2 go. if u dont have any air tools id remove the radiator so u have more room. or atleast remove the fan. otherwise u'll only b able 2 move the ratchet about 3 clicks.

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppa694lyfe View Post
        you dont need 2 support the motor. and when u unbolt the 2 bolts... u dont have 2 put a wrench or anything on the nut's. they have clips the go into the mounts so all u gotta do is unbolt the bolt and ur good 2 go. if u dont have any air tools id remove the radiator so u have more room. or atleast remove the fan. otherwise u'll only b able 2 move the ratchet about 3 clicks.
        x2

Comment

that "mount" isn't load bearing. it prevents torsional motion.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't have any air tools, but I do have a set of GearWrench tools; it looks like the bolts are either 15 or 17mm so I'm hoping I can get the wrench to the bottom bolt and get it done that way - otherwise I'll deal with the radiator like you mentioned. Thanks for letting me know that this is just a torque mount, not load bearing - that's a relief (I had a fear of just having the whole engine drop to the ground as I was working on it).

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by dpmark View Post
              Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't have any air tools, but I do have a set of GearWrench tools; it looks like the bolts are either 15 or 17mm so I'm hoping I can get the wrench to the bottom bolt and get it done that way - otherwise I'll deal with the radiator like you mentioned. Thanks for letting me know that this is just a torque mount, not load bearing - that's a relief (I had a fear of just having the whole engine drop to the ground as I was working on it).

Mark
              yeah its also supported by three other mounts in the bay as well, so it'll maybe move at most half an inch down. Also now would be a good time to put in an Energy Suspension insert. It dramatically reduces the amount of slop in that mount and can be used w/ broken or tearing mounts as well. Thats what I did instead of replacing my mount, its like a puzzle piece that just fits in there and will probably last forever. Got mine off an ES dealer on Ebay for about 25 shipped.....a lot cheaper than a new mount.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

lol those ES front inserts are for manuals only, but my front mount was so obliterated that i managed to just shove it in there. They say you would need to cut a little on the bottom of the manual front insert to make it fit but I managed to without and someone just took out their motor mount and stomped it in.

To get an idea on how obliterated my front motor mount bushing was, I was able to remove the rod that the bolt goes into and hold it in my hand aha. Usually this hollow rod is attached to the mount but mine was floating there.

Comment

dont matter what engine or year of cb the torque mount is all the same correct?
                  1992 Accord EX-R 4 door Cobalt blue on blue 5 speed, friggin love this car.

Performance mods: AEM short ram intake, Progress rear sway bar, and Apexi WSII cat back, skunk 2 wieghted knob, yeamans short throw. exedy oem style clutch pkg with a F1 racing 12lb flywheel, TASauto braided SS clutch line.

Sound mods: Hertz space 6 1/2 speakers and tweets with a Audison Srx 2 amp, Focal 11" sub in a Focal ported box, Kenwood D-class amp, Audison cap and a Kenwood KDC891.

Comment

yep. some people call them a dog-bone because they kinda look like 1

Comment

can anyone take a pix of where exactly that mount is? i went to a shop and they said my front motor mount needed to be replaced also, for $170 >.> if i can do it myself id rather do that.
                      91 ex sedan
                      And now, new for 2012, a 93 ex wagon!

Paypal verified
                      Bought from: frootloops, 90accords, Agol
                      sold to: Agol

Comment

It's the motor mount in the front. Seriously. Look at your engine. It's in the front of it. Right under the upper radiator hose, to the left of the exhaust manifold.

Go to a junk yard, and find one that isn't destroyed. $5 is what they charge here.

Comment

Originally posted by sdhardcoregamer View Post
                          can anyone take a pix of where exactly that mount is? i went to a shop and they said my front motor mount needed to be replaced also, for $170 >.> if i can do it myself id rather do that.
                          WOW really? 170 DOLLARS? it seriously takes about 5 minutes to take off the old one and install the new one. You just need a 17mm gearwrench and you'd be golden. And yeah I forgot, the inserts are only for manual dogbone mounts. I think I snagged mine at the JY on half price wed. for 2 bucks lol and then bought that insert on ebay for 25 bucks.

member's ride thread
                          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                            WOW really? 170 DOLLARS? it seriously takes about 5 minutes to take off the old one and install the new one. You just need a 17mm gearwrench and you'd be golden. And yeah I forgot, the inserts are only for manual dogbone mounts. I think I snagged mine at the JY on half price wed. for 2 bucks lol and then bought that insert on ebay for 25 bucks.
                            ya, and i dont have money to spend like that. i wanna do everything that i CAN do myself. so if its bolt on and bolt off i can handle that. do i need the whole part or am i just getting the center or the center and 1 side? just so i dont "F" this up.
                            91 ex sedan
                            And now, new for 2012, a 93 ex wagon!

Paypal verified
                            Bought from: frootloops, 90accords, Agol
                            sold to: Agol

Comment

Originally posted by sdhardcoregamer View Post
                              ya, and i dont have money to spend like that. i wanna do everything that i CAN do myself. so if its bolt on and bolt off i can handle that. do i need the whole part or am i just getting the center or the center and 1 side? just so i dont "F" this up.
                              well you need a manual mount, its held in by two long, pretty thick bolts going horiztally through a bracket in front of the engine. Its pretty obvious when you look at it, the bolt goes in from the left for both bolts. The top one has a nut w/ a tab on it that will come loose but the bottom one is welded in place so don't try removing that one lol.

As for the ES insert, it fits in just like a puzzle piece into the old mount. Energy Suspension actually recommends the use of using their mounts w/ broken/torn mounts, since it fills the void anyway it'll be fine. So really, all you need is an old Manual trans front mount and then buy that ES insert off ebay.

member's ride thread
                              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Working...
                              X