Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

question on going turbo..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question on going turbo..

so im planning a mild turbo build next year, and i plan on researching everything about going turbo in the next several months but i have one concern: i know a large FMIC would restrict the airflow to my radiator but should i be concerned about it? i know its very important to keep the engine temps down when turbo'ing a motor that was built for NA, (or any motor for that matter), just wondering what some people who've sucessfully built turbo kit's have done for this situation..any input would be greatly appreciated..
    Originally posted by chessboxer
    We know these are good cars, but for some reason, all the world wants are freaking civics and tegs. Bleck.
    Bought From: Slammed4thGen TypeG x2DeevergoteBillKisme

I haven't heard anything from anyone running a large FMIC regarding overheating. Hell, some turbo guys run smaller Civic radiators for more clearance, and even they don't report problems!

If you want to take extra precautions, I would do the following:

Get a more efficient radiator fan (FAL makes some good ones), and hook it to a switch. You can have it on all the time.

Get a 2 core radiator from a quality maker, like Koyo.

Use Redline Water Wetter, or some other coolant additive (there are downsides to such things, so be sure to read up before committing to this)

Additionally, you can get creative with ducting, to draw more air through the radiator.

Comment

That n make sure its tuned

Comment

I have a friend who had one with a smaller civic radiator and he never had any trouble with overheating...it also made more clearance for the turbo/mani

CHRIS (◣_◢)

Comment

Originally posted by jdm egizzle 6 View Post
          That n make sure its tuned
          That has absolutely nothing to do with radiator efficiency. Welcome to my radar.

Comment

thanks deev..being that this will be my first turbo build i dont want to leave anything overlooked..and i love my honda too much to blow/ warp the motor..even tho i have spare with a lot of miles on it..and as far as tuning goes i plan on getting hondata..anyone running s100? if so would that be my best choice for an ecu? im sure the s300 would be better but thats a lot of money..
            Originally posted by chessboxer
            We know these are good cars, but for some reason, all the world wants are freaking civics and tegs. Bleck.
            Bought From: Slammed4thGen TypeG x2DeevergoteBillKisme

Comment

Honestly, it doesn't matter all that much what you get for tuning... just how it is tuned. I would suggest finding an experienced tuner, or better yet, a shop with a dyno. Ask them if they're familiar with your engine, and ask what they'd feel most comfortable tuning. Then get what they can tune for you. If you get a Hondata system and show up to a shop run by a guy that only knows the GReddy eManage, then you probably won't get the best results!

Comment

Ive been debating going with a turbo build on my car but havent decided if I want to spend the money right now lol. Alot of people where Im from are using crome tuning and it seems to work pretty good. Im not sure if you are that familiar with it or have looked into it at all but it may be an efficient but cheaper way to tune your car on boost depending on how much power you are wanting to make. The site is www.tunewithcrome.com if you wanna check it out may be something you want to look into

CHRIS (◣_◢)

Comment

Originally posted by H22A4CB7 View Post
                  Alot of people where Im from are using crome tuning and it seems to work pretty good.
                  where exactly are you from in clemson, i'm there all the time and as far as i can tell i've never seen a h22 cb7.

Comment

You can't exactly tell that there's an H22 under the hood unless they're driving like idiots... He could also be a dreamer. We have quite a few.

And yes, Crome is an option, as is Uberdata and ECtune. All use stock Honda ECUs that have been "chipped" (modified so that they are programmable using removable PROM chips)
                    The same idea applies, though... you need someone that knows how to tune, or you need to learn how yourself. We have the resources here, and a few links to increase your knowledge, but learning to tune isn't something you'll do overnight.

Comment

yea i know. but if he does in fact have one i'd like to look at it because that's what i want to do. so i'd like to see one in person as i have never done that. to get some incite and visual aids.

Comment

why would you doubt whether or not someone has an h22 in their car why not just try to look at my members ride listing and check out all of my pictures..and when driving through clemson how do you expect to see one car out of the hundreds driving around town? the cars sitting in my driveway right now I havent driven it on the swap trying to work out some electrical issues I just posted on this to try to help you out throwing in my 2 cents on turbo questions

CHRIS (◣_◢)

Comment

look up 1992 h22a4 coupe and you will see my posts on there its a 1999 prelude h22a4...not trying to be rude its just not that uncommon a swap as far as this site goes

CHRIS (◣_◢)

Comment

It was when I first joined... I was king shit back then... until Accord SiR showed up with his 400+hp boosted H22... then I was little shit again.

But yeah, now that the H22 is cheaper to buy, and it's well known how easy it is, it's a common swap.

He's not questioning you, actually... he's hoping you really do have the swap so he might be able to see it firsthand.

Comment

it may be easy if I had ever worked on a Honda before period but this is my first one and I never even drove it with the f motor lol just straight to the swap (I drive a 2001 Camaro SS with full bolt ons and nitrous) so this is a huge change for me...I bought it from a friend we put the motor in but the wiring in the car itself when he had it was a nightmare just a complete hackjob and he never got it running so I bought it and pulled it back apart to do all my powdercoating and everything and painted the engine bay then put it back in and built my own harness for it Im having a few electrical issues now so its still a work in progress

CHRIS (◣_◢)

Comment

Working...
                              X