Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

$1500 Budget F22A1 Build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$1500 Budget F22A1 Build?

Hello, i am new to this site and wanted some opinions. I have a 91 LX with an F22A1 with 225k miles on it. Last summer i put a cheapy ebay intake on it and a cheapy ebay 4-2-1 header on it for a few extra ponies. Well now the time has come for a rebuild seeing as my engine currently sounds like shit with clicking noise (no valves are out of adjustment i checked them 3 times) and a knocking noise (no i didnt run it out of oil) a 225k mile motor doesnt like to be redlined a lot lol . i had the intention of rebuilding the motor sooner or later so i didnt really care if it blew. besides i have another car to drive 1 more reason to not care that much. Anyways i have $1500 to spend on the motor, i figured $500 would go to the general rebuild of it. So that leaves me with 1000 for performance. For $1000 what would be the best way to go to get the most horsepower? I am very mechanically inclined but more so with domestic V8's so any opinions with my F22 would be much appreciated!

you probably would be best off getting a JDM motor, F22B,F20B, or H22A
    wat?

Comment

say man if your budget is that high already, you ought to look into swapping out that F22 for and H from a prelude.

Comment

I was actually wanting to stick with the F22 just to be different seeing as an H22 swap is really common.

Comment

What kind of build you going for; N/A, Boost, or Nitrous? But for 1k I think boost will be your best bet for power, if you don't go over budget.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
          "The Turtle"
          DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

N/A im a big N/A fan lol

Comment

look into hondafan81's "red" project. you could probably do much of what he did with 1500.

Comment

Rebuilding it will cost you over 500 dollars sadly. That is if you use quality parts.

Comment

i know i said i want to stick with the f22 but lets say i got an H22A with trans and ECU would everything bolt right in? anybody know where a good place to buy JDM H22 would be?

Comment

Originally posted by 91lxf22a1 View Post
                    i know i said i want to stick with the f22 but lets say i got an H22A with trans and ECU would everything bolt right in? anybody know where a good place to buy JDM H22 would be?
                    the two best engine importers in my opinion are http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/

and

http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.p...hk=1&Itemid=26

now keep in mind that tiger is located in Canada.

Comment

IMO . . . get an F20A from Makoto Auto and boost. F20A=$600; Boost is up to you to choose!!!
                      South Texas M_thaf_cka, that's where I stay!

Check out my Frost White CB
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=SpdJnky93

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                        you probably would be best off getting a JDM motor, F22B,F20B, or H22A
                        Originally posted by Leung View Post
                        say man if your budget is that high already, you ought to look into swapping out that F22 for and H from a prelude.
                        i hate it when people say swap in an H in a thread where the person is asking about building up his F22a. GOD thats freaking annoying.

$1500 should be a good starting point man. take a look at HondaFan81, mndude07, and jdm92_accorn. all of them are pushing over 140-160whp. and jdm92_accorn is pushing 171whp without even touching the internals(i.e. P&P job, pistons and all. but has a stg2 cam tho.). thats stuff on his list MIGHT cost you more than $1500 but then again, its better to take your time doing it then doing it all at once. so keep your F22a.

heres jdm92_accorn's MR thread: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

look at that and look at the stuff he's done. if you know where to look, some of those parts you can find on the cheap(by cheap i mean good price not poor quality). keep your F series man. it'll cost you more to pull power out of an H than it would for an F22.

Comment

found another thread for ya:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=105737&page=4

this is his gradual build up of it. you can see that he was steadly moving up. went from 149whp to 155whp just by removing the balance shaft belt and putting on a Bisimoto heats heild gasket(). i think that might be for the IM or exhaust gasket. not sure.

Comment

Yea Im going to try and do an F22a1 build here this summer I think. I had way too much trouble with my H22a once upon a time I had one so im scarred. IMO I would start with the head since its raising hell. Get a pnp job, nice cam (delta regrinds are 93 bones), some nice retainers and springs. Go find an F22a6 lower plenum with H23 upper and H22 throttle body with PT6 ecu or get a good tune on a PO6 and that thing will be keepin up with H22s.

Comment

1500 isn't a bad budget..it really depends on his ability to rip into internals..and how comfy he is with rebuilding it himself...

He could get a depo rebuild kit.. They include everything..and if u look u can find a fel-pro kit which arnt that bad.
                              Those kits cost around 350ish online.. Then it would be a matter of him taking the time to tear it apart and put it back together..

Not to mention machine shop costs..decking the block and honing the block a few thousanths. Which would bring him around his 500 mark on (rebuilding)

Then he has 1k in performance right?

If he's resourceful he CAN pull off a turbokit for about a grand..

More than likely would be dsm

Dsm manifold=20
                              14b=<100
                              O2 housing=20-40
                              Feed=75.00
                              Return=20(homedepot)
                              ic pipes=150
                              Downpipe to cat weld job=100
                              450cc injectors=75
                              Chipped p06=150
                              Fmic=100=ebay
                              Bov=1g eclipse=30

=860.00(using high end)

Other option is spray

Used nitrous kit =250
                              Delta 262 regrind=110
                              Header collector mod=60
                              H23a intake manifold/tb=100
                              450cc dsm injectors=75
                              Chipped p06=175.00
                              Dynotuned for a 75 shot=300

=1145.. Leaves u with about 300 to spare

Or swap a jdm f22b dohc..and spray a 50 shot on the stock ecu..and be happy with that

Jdm f22b dohc(engine/no trans)=500-600
                              Used nitrous kit =250
                              Replacing misc shit to bring the motor up to date=300

=1125 leaves u with about 300 to spare

Bah..its early and im ramblying cause I don't want to be at work..lol..

So take the above for w.e its worth

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Working...
                              X