Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Brake Fluid and Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Fluid and Clutch

Hello I have a 92 accord exr, By the way this is my first time. My name is Takumimi but you can call me Takumi for short. I just wanted to ask what is the best brake fluid to use and for my clutch. Need your help thanks and have a nice day...

Any quality brand DOT 3 brake fluid will be fine for normal driving. You can buy "clutch fluid" as well, but the same brake fluid should work just as well for that. It's just hydraulic fluid. Just don't try to "upgrade" to DOT 4 or 5. It will react badly with the previous fluid in the system and corrode your components.

Unless you're doing some hardcore racing, you don't need anything better than what's already being used in the car. Going directly to Honda and using the fluid that they use would be the best way to get the proper stuff, but it's not really necessary.

Welcome to the site!

Comment

Thankss...

Thanks men... I have so many questions if you don't mind hehe.. I'm looking for a adjustable coilover I just dont know where to find them. I don't need to put the expensive one's. I just want to make it look good. And i'm looking for fog light kit as well. I might send you a picture of my car. Thats it for now... Thankss again....

Comment

Keep it on the board... I'm just one guy, not that knowledgeable, and VERY busy! I'm glad to help, but there are thousands of members here to help you!

Also, don't hesitate to make a new thread for each question. This one is about your brake and clutch fluid, so the chances of you getting information on a coilover suspension setup are slim.

Anyway, since I'm here, I'll answer...
        DO NOT get cheap coilover sleeves. They ride like crap, and they can actually be dangerous. If you MUST go the sleeve route, get Ground Control or Skunk2. Those are the only quality brands. If you go that route, DO NOT drop your car on your stock shocks. It is very dangerous. Upgrade to something like KYB GR2s at the very least.

A full coilover system is better, if you want adjustability. Something like the Tein Basic system is fairly inexpensive, very high quality, and perfect for a street car. You won't need any of their more expensive setups if you're not going for performance.
        For a sportier feel, you could get the Function and Form Autolife Type 2 coilovers. They are the only ones that were specifically engineered for the CB chassis (since the CB and CD share similar suspension setups, most parts are made for the CD and just passed down to us)
        There are other brands out there, but those are the two best choices for your needs. Everything else is more expensive and/or more sport-oriented. If you aren't looking for crazy handling, then a sportier system will just give you a harsh ride with no payoff.

Google those brand names. You'll see plenty of places to buy them (well, the FFA Type2 are only available from the company, I think... they're not a major player in the industry compared to the rest.)

Whatever you do, get a proper camber kit (www.tasauto.com sells some great stuff... i recommend their adjustable upper control arms) and get an alignment. It's MUCH cheaper than replacing your tires regularly (and far safer than riding on tires that are bald on the inside!)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
          Any quality brand DOT 3 brake fluid will be fine for normal driving. You can buy "clutch fluid" as well, but the same brake fluid should work just as well for that. It's just hydraulic fluid. Just don't try to "upgrade" to DOT 4 or 5. It will react badly with the previous fluid in the system and corrode your components.

Unless you're doing some hardcore racing, you don't need anything better than what's already being used in the car. Going directly to Honda and using the fluid that they use would be the best way to get the proper stuff, but it's not really necessary.

Welcome to the site!
          dot 4 is actually ok to use and even mix with dot 3.

just stay away from dot 5.

any brand should be fine.

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

Originally posted by H22artman View Post
            dot 4 is actually ok to use and even mix with dot 3.

just stay away from dot 5.

any brand should be fine.
            I've heard both ways. I know there are fluids that say they are fine for both, but I don't know that all DOT 4 fluids are... best just to stick with DOT 3 and be safe!

Comment

I've heard both ways. I know there are fluids that say they are fine for both, but I don't know that all DOT 4 fluids are... best just to stick with DOT 3 and be safe!
              the only real performance difference between the two is boiling point.

its kinda how dot 2 (or dex2, or +3) has gone obsolete since dot 3 is a standard improvement over it.

i foresee dot 3 going away almost completely in the next 5 to 10 years. replaced by dot 4.

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

Right. Same with DOT5. The higher the number, the higher the boiling point. But as far as I know, the different types do not interact well, and can do damage to the system. They should never be mixed.

I DO have a DOT3/4 synthetic fluid, I think from Pennzoil, in my car right now. It's safe for either. I don't know that a standard DOT4 would be compatible with a DOT3, though. It may, but since it's unnecessary to go above DOT3 in a normal daily driver CB7, it's not worth risking it!

Comment

Your cap says uses DOT3/4. So do that.
                  wat?

Comment

Right. Same with DOT5. The higher the number, the higher the boiling point. But as far as I know, the different types do not interact well, and can do damage to the system. They should never be mixed.

I DO have a DOT3/4 synthetic fluid, I think from Pennzoil, in my car right now. It's safe for either. I don't know that a standard DOT4 would be compatible with a DOT3, though. It may, but since it's unnecessary to go above DOT3 in a normal daily driver CB7, it's not worth risking it!
                    dot 5 is silicone based. purple in color

3 and 4 are both poly-glycol. light amber in color.

according to the affinia/raybestos reps it is ok to mix any brake fluid with the same color. (went to a brake trainig course a few months back)

castrol makes the same 3/4 stuff in place of both 3 and 4 since it exceeds the properties of both.

Comment

Dot3/4 are alcohol based,

Dot 5 is silicone based.

DOT5 is mainly used for racing apps.

Comment

Ok, there we go Now there's a reason for them to be compatible.

Comment

Working...
                        X