Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Starting Problem (Main Relay?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Problem (Main Relay?)

The problem was fixed; It was the ICM.

Okay guys so last night I got home late around 3:00am with my car running normal as usual. However, four hours later when I was about to go to work my car did not start. The starter was kicking, but the engine wouldn't turnover after trying many times. So I spent some time searching and found some possibilities and methods of checking numerous things and this is what I have done so far: (I am trying to be as descriptive as I can)
    • Oil level is normal
      Opened oil filler cap and cams are rotating
      Battery is healthy
      Starter is kicking normal as if car were to start
      In accessory mode fuel pump is turning on

Now those are the things that I have ruled out but these are the ones I am skeptical about:

Spark plug wires are not throwing a spark. I put a screwdriver in them and grounded them and got nothing, unless I did it wrong.

All my fuses are good except for one labeled 'starter signal', but after I replaced it with a good one, and tested it the car wouldn't start and the test light wouldn't light up on the fuse I replaced. The original fuse wasn't blown.

Also, I have remote start and a kill switch, but my friend said that both of those wouldn't matter because those cut power from the battery. If those were the source then my starter wouldn't even kick out.

So that's all I have so far. I read up on how the distributor, igniter, and the main relay under the dash can be the main source since they are common failures in accords.

Does this look like one of those failures?
    Last edited by Slick_Nine; 05-02-2009, 01:09 AM. Reason: Problem solved
    ]

Your problem is within the distributor/coil.
    wat?

Comment

Are you getting a CEL?

Comment

Originally posted by Grin0048 View Post
        Are you getting a CEL?
        No I am not. All lights in the dash are lighting up properly, and the CEL doesn't stay on in accessory mode.
        ]

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
          Your problem is within the distributor/coil.
          This may sound dumb but is the coil inside the distributor? And is it something that is going to require a full replacement or just a certain part in it? I am new to Honda

I was going to do a tune up soon so I might as well change plugs and wires too.
          ]

Comment

Originally posted by Slick_Nine View Post
            No I am not. All lights in the dash are lighting up properly, and the CEL doesn't stay on in accessory mode.
            If you haven't already, I'd jump the service connector and make sure there aren't any stored codes...if you're lucky, maybe they'll be something there to help you nail down exactly what ignition component has failed.

Comment

Cool! I will try to get up early in the morning before work and sneak that in. I wish I didn't have work that way I can spend the whole day fixing it.

Any other possibilities or where to look at? Can I rule out the main relay under the dash as the culprit?
              ]

Comment

Cool! I will try to get up early in the morning before work and sneak that in. I wish I didn't have work that way I can spend the whole day fixing it.

Any other possibilities or where to look at? Can I rule out the main relay under the dash as the culprit?
                You said you're hearing the fuel pump and it's still not starting...that points away from the main relay. BTW, I believe 90-91 are internal coil, 92-93 are external.

Comment

Before you start throwing a lot of money at the problem I would suggest another strategy. I had similar issues and eventually replaced the fuel pump, main relay and recently refurbished the fuel injectors.

After replacing the fuel pump last summer I thought the prob was fixed only to have hard starting issues come back several months later. Now that I've just done the fuel injectors it's starting fine again... for now anyway.

My suggestion is to find a reputable independent Honda mechanic and let him do some diagnostics. Even if it costs less than $100 it will be money well spent as it will quickly isolate the problem and provide you with a solution that you might be able to fix yourself, saving you money in the long term.

Electrical issues are a real pain to diagnose and can get real expensive fast when you start replacing everything you think might be wrong. BTW, if I had to guess, it sounds like the igniter - but that's just a guess.
                  My Collection:
                  93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
                  00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
                  04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

I know what you mean hiptech. I really suck at electrical problems too, and I actually do have a mechanic coming over, but I don't know when. My car is my only source of transportation, and I know this week is going to really suck for me since I go to school and work.

Either way I posted on here because this is the only help I have for now.

Any who my fuel system is fine, and I am due to replace my injectors in the summer. This is stalling on my coilover purchase which has happened to me twice this year. That's just my luck there.
                    ]

Comment

You said you're hearing the fuel pump and it's still not starting...that points away from the main relay. BTW, I believe 90-91 are internal coil, 92-93 are external.
                      Damn I can't believe I didn't mention the year of my CB. Mine is a '93 so it's going to be external.

Is it easy to identify? I feel like a kid asking these questions.
                      ]

Comment

Damn I can't believe I didn't mention the year of my CB. Mine is a '93 so it's going to be external.

Is it easy to identify? I feel like a kid asking these questions.
                        No problem...You mean is the coil easy to identify? If so, yes, it's very easy to identify. Of the five wires connected to the distributor cap, the one that doesn't lead to a spark plug leads to your coil.

Comment

Damn that was too easy, I guess it's hard for me since this engine seems more crammed than my 240sx. In my 240 it was right in my face.

Alright so I will check this tomorrow. I was also following up on ECU codes and read that if it threw a CODE 15 it would pertain to the coil or ignition. I have so much work to do in the morning!!

Now that I have the coil located, how do I know if it is the problem? Do I just replace it? Or is it something little like a fuse in it? I am going to open up the distributor and see if it is dirty (if possible), and if it is also giving me a problem.
                          ]

Comment

Damn that was too easy, I guess it's hard for me since this engine seems more crammed than my 240sx. In my 240 it was right in my face.

Alright so I will check this tomorrow. I was also following up on ECU codes and read that if it threw a CODE 15 it would pertain to the coil or ignition. I have so much work to do in the morning!!

Now that I have the coil located, how do I know if it is the problem? Do I just replace it? Or is it something little like a fuse in it? I am going to open up the distributor and see if it is dirty (if possible), and if it is also giving me a problem.
                            Taking a look inside the distributor is good idea but unless you've noticed signs of poor ignition previously, it's hard to imagine that fouling of the contacts would cause you to go from working fine to not working at all so suddenly. FWIW, based on your symptoms, the coil and igniter are both strong possibilities...keep in mind, from what I've seen, the igniter is a somewhat more common failure in these cars than the coil.
                            Last edited by Grin0048; 04-26-2009, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Taking a look inside the distributor is good idea but unless you've noticed signs of poor ignition previously, it's hard to imagine that fouling of the contacts would cause you to go from working fine to not working at all so suddenly. FWIW, based on your symptoms, the coil and igniter are both strong possibilities...keep in mind, from what I've seen, the igniter is a somewhat more common failure in these cars than the coil.
                              Cool! Thanks a lot dude you are helping me a lot, and this is really assuring!
                              ]

Comment

Working...
                              X