Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

adjust timing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adjust timing help

Ok i need some help here guys i can't find this "sight window" anywhere to see my timing marks, where abouts is it? I've searched google with no luck. My car feels like the timing is extremely retarded and getting not as good mpg, so i'd like to take a look at this first before i move on to more expensive things.

There should be a rubber plug in it, right where the transmission meets the block, a little under the distributor. You'll need a timing light to do anything, as well as jumping your service connector.

Comment

sweet thanks, i was looking on the wrong side...trying to find it on the crankpulley(where's the vw's marks are haha)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSheep View Post
        Ok i need some help here guys i can't find this "sight window" anywhere to see my timing marks, where abouts is it? I've searched google with no luck. My car feels like the timing is extremely retarded and getting not as good mpg, so i'd like to take a look at this first before i move on to more expensive things.
        It's unlikely that your timing has suddenly changed as *ignition* timing (firing of the plugs) is set in place by how the distributor is rotated.

*Engine* timing (opening and closing of the valves ) is set by the timing belt itself and might change slightly if the belt is very worn or slipped a tooth.

However, checking the ignition timing with a timing light is not a *bad* thing and can't hurt.

As to jumping the service connector, the service connector is located under the passenger side kick panel on the far right.

There are other things to check as well if you're noticing poor mpg, and ones that are more likely to change over time and use--like a worn distributor cap or plugs. Put a new distributor cap on ($35 if you use a Honda one,which I recommend) , change the plugs (if they are old--use the Honda ones from the dealership; make sure the plug wires are in good condition.

If that doesn't work, try cleaning out the EGR port with Seafoam or other such cleaner.

Have fun and good luck!
        Last edited by batever; 06-27-2009, 12:14 PM.

Comment

You can also get some extra mpg and performance by setting your timing at the 2* advanced mark on the flywheel. It's not enough timing to hurt anything, but it can definatley help.
          -Big3racing.net-
          My Build Thread. Many pics.

Comment

well also i threw the timing light on it and i see a mark but no color on it and it's retarded from that mark a bit, i don't see any other ones around it. I just got the car a month ago so i am checking to see what all is going on with it. So far the dist. cap bottom bolt wasn't tight and it definately needs replacing, the rear valve cover bolts weren't either. Hence the oil around the plugs. The coolant overflow bottle had a hole in it so i replaced that. No spare, so i got one of those. The dude destroyed the back seats putting in woofers so i replaced that. I paid 700 for the car so i think i got a good deal either way. So how do i know if this mark which isn't white or red is the TDC? Thanks for the replies guys!

oh and cleaned EGR port it was pretty much all clogged up
            Last edited by BlackSheep; 06-28-2009, 10:48 AM.

Comment

try to adjust your distributor,its a one way to timing your car.

Comment

Originally posted by john_cb7revUp View Post
                try to adjust your distributor,its a one way to timing your car.
                It's the ONLY way... and it has been discussed at length in this thread. Please stop post whoring, or you'll find yourself back to 0.

Oh, and try to type so people can understand you.

Comment

well also i threw the timing light on it and i see a mark but no color on it and it's retarded from that mark a bit, i don't see any other ones around it. I paid 700 for the car so i think i got a good deal either way. So how do i know if this mark which isn't white or red is the TDC? Thanks for the replies guys!
                  I would throw a 19mm socket with a couple of long extensions on it on the crankshaft pulley bolt and rotate the engine *counterclockwise* (the normal direction of crankshaft rotation on a Honda engine--FYI, the crankshaft pulley bolt also loosens counterclockwise as it is normal (right) threaded.) so you can get a good slow-speed look at the timing marks. The normal timing mark is white, but sometimes the color bleeds off of it. There is also a red mark either before or after the white one on my 5sp 92dx, but I'm not sure exactly what it denotes--I think something like 15 deg before or after the white mark.

once you see both (I think autos have another mark too) you'll have a better sense of which one is correct. I'm guessing the one you are seeing currently when your timing light is running is the correct one and your timing is just a smidge off.

Comment

i think you're right, thanks for the help

Comment

wow i just got through checking it out and now i see the marks because it was sooo retarded you couldn't even see the marks. I put it half between tdc and 2dg advanced and it drives like a different car. The bolts were hand tightened on so who knows what kind of real timing i was getting.

Comment

The good thing is that the F22A's distributor really can't be moved far enough to cause any damage... just lousy performance.

Comment

wow i just got through checking it out and now i see the marks because it was sooo retarded you couldn't even see the marks. I put it half between tdc and 2dg advanced and it drives like a different car. The bolts were hand tightened on so who knows what kind of real timing i was getting.
                          Very cool that you got it fixed. Congratulations!

So does that red mark mean 2 degrees advanced? I wasn't sure what it meant.
                          Last edited by batever; 06-29-2009, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by batever View Post
                            I would throw a 19mm socket with a couple of long extensions on it on the crankshaft pulley bolt and rotate the engine *counterclockwise* (the normal direction of crankshaft rotation on a Honda engine--FYI, the crankshaft pulley bolt also loosens counterclockwise as it is normal (right) threaded.) so you can get a good slow-speed look at the timing marks. The normal timing mark is white, but sometimes the color bleeds off of it. There is also a red mark either before or after the white one on my 5sp 92dx, but I'm not sure exactly what it denotes--I think something like 15 deg before or after the white mark.

once you see both (I think autos have another mark too) you'll have a better sense of which one is correct. I'm guessing the one you are seeing currently when your timing light is running is the correct one and your timing is just a smidge off.
                            NOOOOOO.

The white mark on the flywheel/flex plate is Top-Dead-Center. The red mark is what is used with a timing light.

Want to argue ???

Comment

Originally posted by dano28 View Post
                              NOOOOOO.

The white mark on the flywheel/flex plate is Top-Dead-Center. The red mark is what is used with a timing light.

Want to argue ???
                              No, I don't want to argue. I'm only interested in helping people with what I know--or think I know, which is the best anyone can do. If I'm wrong about something I'm very happy to be respectfully corrected. If what you say is correct than the OP's timing is still slightly retarded I guess.
                              Last edited by batever; 06-29-2009, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X