Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

30k Maintenance Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30k Maintenance Questions

Alright, my car's coming up on a 30k service here pretty soon and I have a few questions. First, let me just post what I have as need to be done at a 30k service

Change Engine Oil & Filter
    Change Tranny Fluid
    Replace Fuel Filter
    Replace Air Filter
    Replace Spark Plugs
    Replace Distributor cap, rotor and inspect wires
    Set ignition timing and adjust cambelt
    Replace brake fluid, check hoses & lines
    Adjust parking brake
    Replace clutch fluid, clutch operation, adjust freeplay
    Adjust all belts & inspect power steering fluid
    Replace engine coolant & check hoses belts
    Adjust alternator belt
    Rotate tire and balance
    Lube door, hood latches and hinges
    Inspect crankcase emissions
    Inspect front & rear pads, rotors and calipers
    Inspect suspension mounting bolts for tightness
    Inspect exhaust system
    Inspect tire wear and set tire pressure
    Inspect battery and clean terminals
    Inspect valve clearance
    Check wiper blades and windshield washer fluid
    I'm really wondering about some of the things that are on this list. That majority of the things listed I can do easily at home and save a ton of money. However, there are a few things that I would have to have a shop do.

Inspect valve clearance
    The only "check" that I'm iffy about. For those that have done this before, how difficult is it? I've read the manual on the procedure and it seems somewhat involved. Is this something that really can get moved around over time or is this just a point added by Honda to cover their asses?

Replace Distributor cap, rotor and inspect wires
    Inspecting it I don't see any kind of large amount of wear and tear so can I wait to replace this or should I do it anyway.

Set ignition timing and adjust cambelt
    I don't have a timing gun, so if this really needs to be done it would have to be done by a shop. Is it necessary?

So there are my questions. I'm really hesitant to take the car to Honda for a $300 service when all I'm really getting is about $50-$70 worth of parts and fluids which I can easily change myself. However, if some of the things I mentioned really do need be checked/service would it be possible for me to do the rest of the maintenance and have Honda only do those few things?

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by Maple50175
    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Any ideas?

Comment

the wagon? (O__o)!

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
      01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
      93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
      93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
        the wagon? (O__o)!
        Let me clarify

30k service as in, it's been 30k since the last major maintenance. It's at 203xxx or so.

Nah, if this shit just had 30k on the clock I wouldn't drive it

Comment

Most of those things aren't exactly urgent. If you want to learn things and save money, do what you can when you have free time .

Were all these things done 30k ago? If not, then some might be overdue anyway.

For sure replace the air filter and get/do an oil change.

Tranny fluid flush is only recommended every 75k. But you should top it off. Spark plugs are longer-lasting these days, likewise 30k is too short.

If you're running perfectly smooth and getting 24+ mpg, and the distributor looks fine, the distributor and timing OK.

Valve clearance should only get messed up by some trauma, like a misfire or impact. Wouldn't worry about it, unless it's never been checked and/or your engine isn't running well.

Comment

Alright, thanks man.

Comment

Oh, but I cleaned my plugs at 30k and got some gunk off. I can't say I noticed much improvement, but anyway. You can also try indexing them if you're adventurous. Here's the first Google result: http://www.ehow.com/how_2001164_index-spark-plugs.html

Comment

It's a dealer style checklist, so most of the stuff on your list is in the category of "when you check it out it'll be fine, but it's worth checking". There's no necessity to do any of it. But the dealership would check it all to keep customers' cars running in perfect condition, on the off chance some of was necessary.

Valve clearances do creep over time and use, but actually my car went at least 100K before I adjusted mine.

It's not a hard job to do yourself.

If your engine is running well and you're getting good gas mileage there's probably no pressing need to check the engine timing.

I'd say if you're strapped for cash, just make sure the fluids are topped off and put a new air filter on--yourself. If it's been a few years since your last distributor cap change, change the cap and rotor out. Or not if you're short on cash. If you start experiencing running or starting problems, change the dist. cap at that point.

Incidentally, I get 30mpg average on my 92 5 spd manual dx. Auto trannys get less but anything less than 25 mpg is suspect as far as I'm concerned.

I would check the brake pads and change those out if they are worn, and bleed the brake system. I would also make sure my tires were in good shape too.

Other than that, you can probably skip the rest of it.
                Last edited by batever; 07-05-2009, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X