Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Help Lug Nut Froze On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Lug Nut Froze On

im trying to remove my pass side back wheel and two of the nuts are froze on.. one of them ive tried using a jack hammer and it seems to be coming ok not off yet though, and the other is loose because the stud broke in the back and just spins. any ideas? / suggestions
    ** BUY MY STUFF **

are u willing to risk loosing a rim if so get the lug nuts HOT!!!! REAL HOT!!!! wear safty glasses! then take ur air impact and hit it. see if it turns. the one thats loose is going to b complicated. if u cant get it to turn i would just take my air chizle and go nuts!!! hope this works. Good Luck
    AYALA

Comment

Start with the basics:
      first, make the nut easier to turn. Spray it with PB Blast or liquid wrench and wait.
      . If possible jack up the car on the other side so the pb blast flows more "downhill" into the nut.

Then spin the wheel so you can spray it from the other side.

Then wait. like 5 hours or even better overnight.

Then put a length of pipe over your 19mm socket and breaker bar and it will come off. I have a 4 ft steel pipe that has never failed me on any fastener on the car so far. Haven't tried it on my neighbor's dump truck though.

It you don't have an extension pipe like this then try using a hammer on the breaker bar.

If you are using a 19mm socket and breakerbar, try setting up using a long extension on the breaker bar and putting a support like a jackstand head under the extension right where it meets the breaker bar. Then you can apply as much force as you like to the bar and it the socket will stay on the nut.

Or, use a hammer on your lug nut wrench if that's what you're using instead of a socket. Hell, use the hammer on your breaker bar. The impacts will help break the nut free.

Finally, you can opt for this: put the breaker bar/socket or lug nut on the bolt so that the handle is on the ground and facing forward of the nut. Now get in the car and start it, then ease the car just a millimeter forward from its position, then roll the car back so you can manipulate the breaker bar by hand.

The engine will break the nut free on the forward motion of the car. But be very judicious and make sure no one is around that could get hurt if the mar comes off the lug nut or breaks and stuff goes flying. Really only move the car forward like an inch.

As a final method, take a cold chisel and hammer and impact the nut in the counterclockwise direction.

If you don't have a real chisel, dont try this with anything else such as a screwdriver, it just won't work.

As a final resort, use heat on the nut. Get it as hot as possible

But you probably wont need to.

Good luck

It will come off.

As to the loose one, use the search key on "wheel stud replace" or something like that. The loose one should be no problem.
      Last edited by batever; 07-22-2009, 11:36 AM.

Comment

You might break them i had to do the homeboy cb7 like that one day he's tire had blow out on the highway and he was piss off cause he could not get the lug nuts off so we had to tow it to the house and replace the lug nut stud we end up put all new ones on he car
        F22BDOHC JDM

Comment

I had a lug nut stud come loose like that before. I took my angle grinder and cut that beotch off. good luck!

Comment

Suggestion: 6' 3", 275lb gorilla. At least thats what works for me.

batever gave you the best suggestions. Good luck!
            Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

well i cant move the car since my fuel pump is out. lol but im trying to get the rim off cuz this guy bought them for 50 bux.. the prelude si fat 7's anyways ive been using a jack hammer and needless to say ive hit the rim a few times but hey he only paid 50 for em right? thats a steal. well i guess ill keep trying
              ** BUY MY STUFF **

Comment

A Jack Hammer ??? Holy crap.

Comment

Yeah.. the nut is froze on. impacts has noo effect and now im too the point where im going to start drilling.
                  ** BUY MY STUFF **

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED just got it off yesterday.

Now to replace the studs... oh by the way check out this pic of the brake drum... am i gonna have to replace that?

** BUY MY STUFF **

Comment

Originally posted by 93tunerofdacb7 View Post
                      well i cant move the car since my fuel pump is out. lol but im trying to get the rim off cuz this guy bought them for 50 bux.. the prelude si fat 7's anyways ive been using a jack hammer and needless to say ive hit the rim a few times but hey he only paid 50 for em right? thats a steal. well i guess ill keep trying
                      yeah an impact won't touch it but did you try the 4-5 foot steel bar?? most impacts can't deliver that amount of torque.

Anyways you got it done.

YOu could have tried the lug wrench on the ground trick, then pushed the bumper with another car, or tied the car to another car or other anchor and used a big comealong to pull it forward too. lots of ways....use a floor jack to press on the breaker bar handle. Raise the car a little, set up the breaker bar to be supported on the jackhead, then drop the car--lots of ways to apply obscene amounts of force.

It does look like you'll need a new rear brake drum after drilling that out, or preferably a set of them.

However maybe you could weld a new stud in.
                      Last edited by batever; 07-26-2009, 03:40 PM.

Comment

So based on the pics i have posted do you guys think ill have to replace that drum or will a new stud be fine in there and not move around.
                        ** BUY MY STUFF **

Comment

I've done studs like that before and just pulled them in and put the drum back on. no problems so far.
                          COUPE K24

Comment

if you got the money just replace it... looks a little hagard anyways

Comment

Originally posted by batever View Post
                              yeah an impact won't touch it but did you try the 4-5 foot steel bar?? most impacts can't deliver that amount of torque.

Really shouldn't be needed. I put a 1/2" adapter on my 3/4" ratchet and broke the stud clean off. It's only 2ft long.

But yeah, you already have it off. Your drum looks kinda done eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X