Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

EGR Port cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR Port cleaning

so yes, my car has that stutter symptom right above 2k rpm.

I tried removing one of those studs and it was PITA. The thing did not even move...yet the hold i drill is getting bigger.

Also i was trying to remove some parts to get some room and a little thing right above the 2 last plugs at the right (driver side) was spilling gas.

This seems like such a easy job and its killing me knowing i would have to take this to the honda dealer to get it done.

maybe i need a break then try again.

The "thing" that you are referring to that is leaking gasoline, does it have a large hose coming into it from the bottom and a smaller vacuum line going to the top of it? If so, that's your fuel pressure regulator. It should be connected to the fuel rail. It's probably not a part that is best to remove to gain access...

The EGR port cleaning can be a major pain in the butt, especially if you don't have the correct tools. I am going to assume you are using a slide hammer because I can't imagine trying to remove them any other way, especially while it is on the vehicle.

Also take great care with not getting any aluminum shavings inside the intake manifold while you are drilling the EGR plugs. Yes I know this is like common sense to most of us, but I've seen many just press forward and not worry about the aluminum shavings getting into their intake... scary thought.

So keep pressing forward, I'm sure you'll eventually get them all done and the car running better then normal.
    Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

My car had the exact same issue. However, instead of breaking my back and possibly car parts... I did a simple and so far ( five months later) perfect fix. There is a vaccuum line going into the EGR valve on the left side of it.. I simply removed that line, put a bolt into it to seal it off, and covered the connector on the EGR valve with a simple piece of tape.

I no longer have the issues I had, the only thing that arose from this is that my check engine light appears. Then again, if your check engine light isnt on in the first place, it must not be running right! Hope this helps, and if needed Ill gladly take pictures of mine.

My 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Thread

Comment

If you don't want to go though the ports , you can take the egr valve off and spary the shit out of the intake port with carb/throttle cleaner.

What I did to get 5 of the 6 ports was to take a drill , make the hole, then put the drille in reverse. Normally the whole plug will come up with it. But like statet above be carefully bout the shavings

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
        -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

LOL I tried another port and i failed. the thing did not even move an inch, and im afraid i break something as this is my only car. And i know they are dirty becuz you can see carbon kinda seeping through the surrounding. I do have a slide hammer set. but let me understand this. after i drill that little hole, do i use a regular screw from the hardware store or do i need a SPECIAL screw to lock into the plug? the problem im having is i cant get the screw tight enough so when i try to pull it out the screw keeps popping out.

And that fuel pressure regulator thing is right above one or two of the ports. my car has 6. LOL Im laghing because its the small task which usually makes a world a difference are always a bitch to get done.

Comment

Originally posted by rob_is_legend View Post
            My car had the exact same issue. However, instead of breaking my back and possibly car parts... I did a simple and so far ( five months later) perfect fix. There is a vaccuum line going into the EGR valve on the left side of it.. I simply removed that line, put a bolt into it to seal it off, and covered the connector on the EGR valve with a simple piece of tape.

I no longer have the issues I had, the only thing that arose from this is that my check engine light appears. Then again, if your check engine light isnt on in the first place, it must not be running right! Hope this helps, and if needed Ill gladly take pictures of mine.
            yes, please take a pic so i can see.

but if the ports are dirty, how is removing the vaccum line fix the issue? my CEL does work.

Comment

Originally posted by frootloops View Post
              The "thing" that you are referring to that is leaking gasoline, does it have a large hose coming into it from the bottom and a smaller vacuum line going to the top of it? If so, that's your fuel pressure regulator. It should be connected to the fuel rail. It's probably not a part that is best to remove to gain access...

The EGR port cleaning can be a major pain in the butt, especially if you don't have the correct tools. I am going to assume you are using a slide hammer because I can't imagine trying to remove them any other way, especially while it is on the vehicle.

Also take great care with not getting any aluminum shavings inside the intake manifold while you are drilling the EGR plugs. Yes I know this is like common sense to most of us, but I've seen many just press forward and not worry about the aluminum shavings getting into their intake... scary thought.

So keep pressing forward, I'm sure you'll eventually get them all done and the car running better then normal.

Thanks for the uplifting words. Im usually persistent but this task scares be especially when im bringing in foreign object(drill) to the engine LOL

Comment

if you are going to drill out those ports you have to take off the fuel rail. and take out those delicate fuel injectors... maybe get them nice and cleaned while they are out too. I would recomend you getting new O-rings for them too at the dealer.. should only be like .50 each or something.

When I cleaned mine out I took off the EGR and took a long wire and scraped all of that out as much as I could. I then ran the car and stuck a rag in the egr port and spayed carb cleaner in the other half of the egr port. I think it worked ok.. I also took some pipe cleaners with seafoam after I couldnt scrape loose the carbon anymore... I dont thinnk the point is to get them brand new again just to get them open again mine were nearlly 100% blocked I think.
                AD5OS
                FOLDING@home

Comment

an update:

i went behind instead of fwd with this project.

so i finally drill a hole straight through one of the plug, and was using a screw extractor i got to to remove the plug and the screw extractor broke off and re-plug the hole i made. not only that, i cant drill out the extractor screw because its tougher than the drill bit. its damaging the drill bit.

so i decided to try another port. drilled the hole, tight a regular screw and was using the slide hammer to take it out and the slide hammer broke. LOL.

Its been a successful project LOL

Comment

The blue circled part is the area on the EGR valve where the vaccuum line connects. I simply covered it up...in my case, used scotch tape.

The blue once again is the area on the EGR Valve to cover up. Green is the vaccuum hose. I shortened it up so I wouldnt have a long black hose with a bolt in the end hanging around in plain view. Hope it helps, any other questions im right here.

Comment

Thank you. Im going to try this as soon as the rain let up.

Comment

How did it work out for you ???

Comment

I actually just did this over the last couple days.

I removed the intake manifold from the engine bay and then used a electric drill (for a pilot hole) and a slide hammer to extract the plug. I did break a couple slide hammer screws in the ports, but it never really was a problem. I was able to just drill an additional hole next to the broken screw, or even straight through the broken screw.

Don't be too scared to break things. If worst comes to worst, you can just buy another intake manifold, maybe even from a member here that has removed the plugs for you.

Also, after removing the plugs, were you planning on tapping the ports and putting removable plugs?

Finally, if everything just seems to be too much, do what ibr_adam09 said. timmy0tool also wrote about it here.

Comment

buy a oem egr block off plate, the one from a 06ish civic si will fit H and F series. leave the vacuum and electrical connections hooked up and let er hang. as long as you dont need to pass emissions that is.

Comment

Originally posted by rob_is_legend View Post
                              How did it work out for you ???
                              I see a little difference but it was not enough for me to deal with the check engine light being on. but i definitely see the difference. And because of that difference in performance, I am more eager to want to try cleaning the ports. So im going to tackle the job once again with more determination

Comment

Working...
                              X