Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

There's a Squeaky sound everytime I turn on the car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have the same problem and i dont know what it is
    it started doing that after my catalytic converter fell of
    i am gonna wacth this thread

92 LX N/A rust bucket restoration RIP
    91 DX Coupe to 9293 EX Coupe restoration
    funds for swap:$000.00
    Bought from:HondaFan81=My current CB7 DD ,CB7_Sleeper1 Koochologist Tommi mtnbikkerkid33
    Traded with: Wed3k

Comment

Does it only do it when you first start it up? Is the ac on or off? Does it go away after the car has been running for a minute?

Comment

When is the last time you changed your belts? Also have you checked to see how much tension there is on the belts that are on the car right now? You may just need to adjust them but if you haven't changed them in a while I would go ahead and just replace both of them since you're already going to be messing with it. They don't cost too much.

Comment

Either the serpentine belt is loose (belt connected to your alternator), or it's on it's death bed. To tighten it, there's a bolt under the alternator. You'll need a 1/2 wrench to loosen it, then there's 2 bolts right infront of the alternator (10mm). The one on the left is to hold the bracket to the alternator. The one on the right is to loosen or tighten. Tighten it a bit, then tighten the bolt under the alternator, and try it. The belt should feel pretty tight, unlike the chain on a bicycle where you want some slack. But you don't want it too tight. If it still squeals after you tighten it and stuff, it's time for a new belt. (Just had to tighten mine Friday 'cause it was squealing). The shop never put the main bolt ontop of the alternator back in when they replaced my crank pulley?
          Last edited by Gotz Cb7; 08-23-2009, 08:50 PM.
          98' Mustang 3V Swap
          11' VW CC R36

Comment

have you checked your fluids??just a thought
            SwaggerJacker

Comment

Originally posted by JDMcb792 View Post
              It's there a possbile way to add dw-40 on the rollers of the belts??? Sorry for being a noob. LOL
              WD-40 could be used as a temporary fix. I see this problem all the time when people replace their drive belts with cheap pieces of crap. Check the condition and tension of the belts.

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

If it didn't have any power steering fluid in it, it would only whine while making turns. Mine did this for about a year, until when I had it in the shop, they fixed it for me. Said it wasn't even hooked up right.
                98' Mustang 3V Swap
                11' VW CC R36

Comment

Originally posted by JDMcb792 View Post
                  It's there a possbile way to add dw-40 on the rollers of the belts??? Sorry for being a noob. LOL

DO NOT spay wd40 on your belts or belt pulleys.

the reason for the squeaking noise is they are slipping.

just tighten the belt a little and it should go away. The belt has stretched from age and has gotten too loose *or* somehow something slippery got on it.

don't go crazy tightening it, just do it a tiny bit then test and see if the squeak goes away. If you overtighten it is bad for the alternator pulley because it pulls on it too hard.

Do not use dressing either, just adjust the tension.

Edit: in his eternal wisdom my father just told me that sometimes the nap on the inside of the belt gets worn down and smooth, thus causing the slipping and squeaking. In this case, if the belt is tensioned properly but the belt is slipping because the nap on the inside is worn, adding belt dressing to the belt is actually a clever fix instead of being the ignorant neanderthal solution I always thought it was.
                  Last edited by batever; 08-23-2009, 11:40 PM.

Comment

not the OP but when i start up my cb7 its only like a squeeek then its over
                    it seems to do it right after the engine starts
                    but as soon as the engine returns to the normal idle it stops

Bought from:HondaFan81=My current CB7 DD ,CB7_Sleeper1 Koochologist Tommi mtnbikkerkid33

Comment

Originally posted by megarock15 View Post
                      not the OP but when i start up my cb7 its only like a squeeek then its over
                      it seems to do it right after the engine starts
                      but as soon as the engine returns to the normal idle it stops
                      again, most likely a slipping belt. when engine goes from standstill to 1200 rpms when you start it, it causes the belts to slip because they can't catch up right away. Then often the noise will stop once the belt speed catches up with the pulley speed.

that's probably not the only thing it could be, but it's the most likely one.

Comment

i figured it was a belt i will check it out in the morning

thanks batever

Comment

Originally posted by megarock15 View Post
                          i figured it was a belt i will check it out in the morning

thanks batever
                          Those belt adjusting brackets are tricky to figure out, extremely non intuitive. Write back if you want help. You have top loosen the big pivot bolt first, then loosen the adjusting nut underneath the pump or alternator (on an axis perpendicular to the bumper) *then* turn the adjusting nut that faces the front of the car counterclockwise to tighten or clockwise to loosen, then snug up the first two bolts to secure everything in position.

Bolt head sizes are 14 or 15 mm (depending on alternator or power steering pump, I bet the squeal is from the alternator though) and 12mm and 10mm for the other two smaller fasteners. If you're doing the power steering pump the big pivot bolt can be gotten with a 14mm combination wrench using the closed end on the bolt and and hook a 15mm closed end wrench into the open side of the 14mm wrench to make a longer lever arm. Otherwise you have to take the power steering pump tube off and I don't recommend it as it will drip hydraulic fluid all over the place, the last thing you want on your pulleys, belts, and alternator windings.

I would post a photo of the wrench thing but I don't know how.

Good luck!
                          Last edited by batever; 08-24-2009, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X