Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Ball joint removal/installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ball joint removal/installation

Well the tittle pretty much says it. I have a 91 ex and i really need to change my lower ball joint as well as the upper. I have been asking around how to do this but i still cant seem the get the picture as they explain it to me. I dont want to take it to some mechanic even though they are charging me cheap ($60) i want to learn by myself and also save some money. If anybody has the diy with pics i would appreciate it much, or if someone could talk to me in pure english with details that would help too

Originally posted by Brian0288 View Post
    Well the tittle pretty much says it. I have a 91 ex and i really need to change my lower ball joint as well as the upper. I have been asking around how to do this but i still cant seem the get the picture as they explain it to me. I dont want to take it to some mechanic even though they are charging me cheap ($60) i want to learn by myself and also save some money. If anybody has the diy with pics i would appreciate it much, or if someone could talk to me in pure english with details that would help too
    In general you don't replace the upper ball joint, you replace the whole upper control arm, although some forum members from Canada have had some success (allegedly) with putting a new upper bj in. (the issue is that the metal around the bj is thin and making sure it doesn't deform when you press it in can be an issue--so I've heard they throw a little tack weld on the snap ring that's supposed to hold the upper ball joint in the control arm once it's been pressed in). If you look at the upper control arm and ball joint you'll see that the metal around it is like 1/8 of an inch thick or so, not too thick.

Whereas the metal around the lower ball joint in the lower control arm is like 3/4 inch thick. Big difference.

At a Honda shop they don't even list the upper bj as a part, probably for liability reasons. I specifically asked them about this at my local dealer and they said Honda doesn't list the part separately and as techs they don't replace the part but only the upper control arm. which includes a new ball joint. They speculated that the thinness of the metal around the upper bj was the issue for replacing it in the existing control arm.

As to the lower bj, just use the search function on the site and you will find beaucoup discussion of how to get it separated then pressed out, and then pressed back in.

Comment

There really isn't much to it.

Before you do ANYTHING...you will eventually need to remove the axle...you'll see why later. Take the tire off, use a bar/stick, press the brake and use said bar/stick to hold the brakes, wedge it in between the pedal and the seat...may have to move the seat all the way up.

While the brakes are holding, un dimple the 36mm bolt on the axle.

*explanation--> when you install axles, after you torque the nut, you use a hammer and chisel and bend the end of the nut, there is a recess cut into the axle for this purpose...just in case...so the axle nut won't come off and your axle then slide out*<--end explanation

then using a LONG breaker bar, stand on the bar and turn the bolt counter clockwise to loosen it. Do this to both sides...once you have the axle nuts loose on both side removed...proceed to do either top or bottom bj's.

I found it easier to do the lower bj with the entire knuckle out...so you can just take the knuckle off, replace the upper, replace lower, then re-install the knuckle.

Also, I only trust honda OEM for the lower bj's...uppers not such a big deal...I have spc uppers though, hella tough. If your lower breaks...you will crash no question...if you uppers break...you are less likely to wreck...Honda dealership lower ball joints are $15 a pop...not expensive.

TOP ball joints:
      Look at the knuckle...there is a little cover that goes over the upper bj's bolt. You have to take off, 2 10mm bolts.

Then you unbolt the upper bj, use a bj press and get it out of the knuckle...it is attached to the upper a-arm...the upper a-arm is held in by two ...uh 15mm?...bolts that you access via engine bay.

You will need new a-arm bushings as well as ball joints as I garuntee yours are non existent by now. New a-arms will solve this...and they come with new bj's.

If you replace the ball joint only and use the old arm then you will have to remove a snap ring on the upper bj, whack/press it out of the arm, then press the new one in...DO NOT HAMMER THE NEW ONE IN! rent a bj press from autozone, 120 but you get your money back. SLOWLY press it in.

LOWER BALL JOINT:
      For the lower it's more involved.
      You have to get the axle out...to get the hub out...cause it prevents the lower bj from coming out.

So...you get the axle out (36mm nut, that nut however is dented in so you have to un dimple it) Don't remove the axle from the tranny, just from the hub)

Now remove the lower bj from the lower control arm. As with the top one...undue the cotter pin, unscrew the bolt. Either press or hammer the OLD bj out (again never hammer a new one)...now you can swing the knuckle to make getting the axle out easier.

I found it easier to have the entire knuckle out...

You will need to remove the outter tie rods...press them out...do not hammer..unless you are also replaceing those.

take the hub out (4 12 point 10mm bolts)...the very edge of the bearing lip prevents the bj from coming out...you could just loosen the hub to make way...but it makes it lighter/easier to just remove it.

Then...remove the snap ring on the old bj...if it is the OEM one it will have a snap ring.

Only buy the HONDA lower from a dealership...I don't trust any others for the lowers. Uppers not such a big deal. It is on the lowers.

A new one from honda ($15 per bj) will NOT have the snap ring. If you bought one from somewhere else it will. press the old bj out...press the new on in...re-install everything.

what did i miss...hmmm

*HA HA...batever beat me to the post
      ____

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post

*HA HA...batever beat me to the post
        yes but unlike me you actually told him how to do the job--excellent post!

Comment

Working...
        X