Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

changing my oil pan gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing my oil pan gasket

so i did notice there is a diy oil pan removal on here but i wasnt sure it that also applies to a cb with an auto trans. my oil pan gasket is leaking really bad and i need to change it out but i was told i would need to remove torque converter bolts to get the pan out to change the gasket on the oil pan. sorry if this question is stupid but i am still new to working on cb's. any help is greatly appreciated. and also i am pretty sure you have to take off the exhaust at the manifold is it best to replace the gasket while i have it off as well?

yea same as the manual, remove that torque converter plate.

as for the gasket you can change it, its only a few bucks. I didnt do it on mine and its ok.

tip: use bolt breaker solution or wd40 on the bolts.

make sure your surface is clean before you put sealant or the gasket on, take your time to clean off the old surface on the block. you dont want it leaking later due to a dirty surface.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
      yea same as the manual, remove that torque converter plate.

as for the gasket you can change it, its only a few bucks. I didnt do it on mine and its ok.

tip: use bolt breaker solution or wd40 on the bolts.

make sure your surface is clean before you put sealant or the gasket on, take your time to clean off the old surface on the block. you dont want it leaking later due to a dirty surface.
      is this pretty easy to do? also what is best to use to clean the surface? also i was looking in the haynes manual and it says to remove the oil pick up tube. is this necessary?

Comment

Its easy. I have to do it this weekend because mine leaks a wee bit. MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THOSE RINGS THAT YOU SEE ON THE STUDS WHEN YOU REMOVE THE PAN! If you dont it will leak even worse and you dont want that. And no you dont have to remove the pick up tube.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7lover1982 View Post
          is this pretty easy to do? also what is best to use to clean the surface? also i was looking in the haynes manual and it says to remove the oil pick up tube. is this necessary?
          Just take a clean rag and make sure everything is wiped down to clean it. You just don't want dirt or gunked up oil or something on the mating surface when you go to put it back together. The same thing as when you change your oil and you wipe off (at least I do lol) where the oil filter goes before you put the new one off.

Comment

its easy and messey lol.

I used sealant on my gasket dispite what everyone else thinks, i didnt want to do that again and the sealant helped me have an idea how tight it was when i torqued it down. I torqued it down little by little untill the sealant slightly ooozed out evenly all the way around.

the fastest part is taking it down, the longest part is cleaning and putting it back together.
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Yeah I normally use permatex or something similar on gaskets. Especially in the corners. As far as tightening it.......torque wrench lol?
              Last edited by Brandoncb7; 09-23-2009, 02:11 PM.

Comment

+1

There have been numerous discussion on many forums over the use of torque wrenches with regards to oil seals. I really do not understand why people insist on continuing to install seals improperly (without a torque wrench).

Okay, for old times' sake: you cannot gauge torque by hand, uneven torque distorts seals, distorted seals have shortened operational lifespans (leaks sooner), all surfaces holding seals must be torqued to spec.

'Kay? Great, now buy another gasket (the one you have could be distorted already) and reinstall it properly now or when the one you installed leaks (could be sooner than later).
                1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
                C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
                MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
                ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
                You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

When you are tightening it down make sure to do it evenly. Don't torque it down all the way at once, do all the bolts evenly.

Comment

Originally posted by gcvphoto View Post
                    When you are tightening it down make sure to do it evenly. Don't torque it down all the way at once, do all the bolts evenly.
                    You're close. Helms says to tighten the bolts to 10 ft-lbs. in three steps. What does that mean? Finger tight all the bolts, then torque them to 5 ft-lbs. (60 in-lbs.), finally torque the bolts to 10 ft-lbs. (120 in-lbs.).

I had persistent seal failure until I adopted the meathod described above.
                    1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
                    C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
                    MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
                    ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
                    You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

Thats what i meant to say, but i didn't know the correct specs off the top of my head and didn't feel like looking it up right now. Good information though. Thanks.

Originally posted by James Matteu View Post
                      You're close. Helms says to tighten the bolts to 10 ft-lbs. in three steps. What does that mean? Finger tight all the bolts, then torque them to 5 ft-lbs. (60 in-lbs.), finally torque the bolts to 10 ft-lbs. (120 in-lbs.).

I had persistent seal failure until I adopted the meathod described above.

Comment

Working...
                      X