Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Shift to Decelerate??? Bad or Good???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift to Decelerate??? Bad or Good???

So I like to use the clutch to decelerate. I have been hearing from random people that im going to tear up my car doing that. Is this true? I'm so use to it i've been doing it in all of the vehicles that ive ever had. So???
    Time to Fix it Up

Originally posted by kkaiser7901 View Post
    So I like to use the clutch to decelerate. I have been hearing from random people that im going to tear up my car doing that. Is this true? I'm so use to it i've been doing it in all of the vehicles that ive ever had. So???
    please explain more in detail how you use the clutch to decelerate...

Comment

do you mean youre downshifting to help slowdown quicker?

Comment

Yeah i downshift to slow down quicker sorry weak detail in initial post!
        Time to Fix it Up

Comment

i engine break all the time. Rev matching might help save syncros, but I dont see any problems with engine breaking when used from time to time in the normal rev range

Formerly 91AccordExR33
          11.68 @ 127mph
          417whp/375wtq
          Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Originally posted by Boost_Lee View Post
            i engine break all the time. Rev matching might help save syncros, but I dont see any problems with engine breaking when used from time to time in the normal rev range
            x2
            as long as you dont mis-shift when downshifting, you'll be alright

Comment

Well thank you all and have a good night ill keep down shifting to slow then!
              Time to Fix it Up

Comment

i rather invest in 20 dollar brake pads than paying 800 dollars to fix your tranny.

(depending on what tranny you have)

Comment

honestly i dont know what tranny i have how would or where would i look to find that out?

And there isnt anything wrong with my brakes they are great, its just habit to downshift decel
                  Time to Fix it Up

Comment

I never downshift to brake...waste of time and effort.

I'd rather pay for brake parts over transmission parts.

Comment

Downshifting isn't going to damage the transmission at all, if done correctly. As long as you rev match properly, and you're not just slamming it in gear, it won't hurt a thing. Just don't ride the clutch to brake... I do that when cornering hard in 2nd (clutch braking makes for a very quick, controlled stop with the engine ready to pull when you come out of it... but it's very hard on the clutch)

Comment

There's no need to rev match with a syncro mesh transmission. I can see two problems with "avoiding the use of brakes by downshifting"

Drivers behind you are unaware you are slowing down because they see no brake lights

Unnecessary wear on the clutch mechanism. Brakes are much cheaper to replace.

I can see downshifting to slow when approaching a curve, but to down shift for stop signs is just plain STUPID.

Comment

I usually do it when exiting the highway, in conjunction with the brakes (because yes, you can get rear-ended easily if your brake lights aren't on while you slow down!) The only time I'd ever use the engine to help come to a complete stop is when I'm afraid I'm overworking my brakes, or when I need the extra stopping power. I'd rather let 2nd gear help me stop than slam on the brakes and trust the ABS to help.

Rev matching will help save the wear on the synchros. A simple blip of the throttle with the cluch disengaged will be MUCH more forgiving to those parts than simply slamming it into gear and letting the synchros do all the work.

And unless you're riding the clutch, downshifting doesn't really cause a significant amount of wear. Allowing the clutch to slip is what kills it (as with the cluch-brake method I mentioned above... very bad for the clutch)

Comment

Originally posted by GHOST 2.2 View Post
                            i rather invest in 20 dollar brake pads than paying 800 dollars to fix your tranny.

(depending on what tranny you have)
                            haha im with you.

Under Ground Society

"SLUTS NEED LOVE TOO.....AND A LOT OF DICK!"

Comment

I downshift and brake at the same time.
                              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Working...
                              X