Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Turbo Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Kits

Are the $1000 turbo kits sold for our cars on eBay any good or will it potentially damage my car, even if installed properly? Is $1000 a reasonable price for a turbo kit for our cars or is $1000 to little to expect to pay? If these kits sold on eBay are no good, can anyone recommend a decent turbo kit for about $1000 or whatever is a reasonable price.

91 EX, body/chassis ~235,000; rebuilt f22a6 crate engine ~65,000 (3/2011)
    Neuspeed Super Cup Kit (7/2010)
    TAS rear drum-to-disc conversion (6/2010)
    Above photo taken - 4/2010

The lesser expensive brands of turbo kits floating around on ebay are cheap for a reason: they contain alot of cheap parts, mainly made over-sea's, and are of poor quality. If "installed properly" a cheaper kit, could very well work great for quite a while, or not last long at all. Its kind of touch-and-go with the cheaper kits. Generally the "ebay" turbo's are garbage when it comes to overall longevity, mainly the oil seals and bearings are not really the greatest. Some parts, such as cast iron manifolds and aluminum charge piping seem to be pretty good quality for the price. When it comes too parts that carry a more important role like a wastegate, going cheap on a part like that could have some serious consequences if it failed. Also, keep in mind that not everything sold of ebay is bad quality. There are plenty of legitimate name brands on ebay too.

A base "cheap" turbo kit of ebay, in the right hands, might be a good option for someone looking to save some money, but there are other "inexpensive" routes to go when turbocharging, such as the DSM turbo setups that many of our members on this site have (including myself). DSM parts are easy to find, inexpensive, and are good OEM quality.

$1000 is a tight budget for a turbo build. Remember, on top of the core mechanics of a turbo setup, you will also have to upgrade your fuel pump and injectors, chip and tune your ECU, save money for a proper tune, etc. If your looking to go the cheaper route, a DSM setup would be the best for your money. Otherwise just take your time and save up for a name-brand turbo kit, or piece one together yourself. Im not trying to say that ALL ebay parts are bad, their are some out there that work great for a long time. But just remember you always get what you pay for.

With my setup I went with a DSM turbo and manifold. Im using a "ebay" intercooler and charge pipes / couplers / clamps. All the other parts I just bought when I had the money: name-brand BOV, wastegate... chipped P06 ECU, Walbro fuel pump, Precision Injectors, CromePro software, etc. I also built my engine with forged internals, and have probably spent near $5000 on engine modifications so far. It just takes time, so take time to do it right!
    ON_N20
    Nitrous = Been there. Turbo = Now. Nitrous + Turbo?... LOADING

Comment

They aren't that bad, just get a different turbo, wastegate, BOV, and exhaust manifold.

Comment

Originally posted by pedroalcala View Post
        They aren't that bad, just get a different turbo, wastegate, BOV, and exhaust manifold.
        ...which is nearly all that is included in a cheap turbo kit anyway

Not all the cheap parts sold on ebay are horrible, but their are definatly better options out there for longevity and reliablilty. Take a look at some of the Member's Ride threads and see what they have done in their turbo builds. Their are a few that have used the "ebay" kits, and have had good luck (so far).
        ON_N20
        Nitrous = Been there. Turbo = Now. Nitrous + Turbo?... LOADING

Comment

if your looking for a cheap reliable turbo setup, just look into the dsm setup. Very good for beginners and parts can be had for cheap. I'm actually gettin ready to post my old dsm setup for sale. Moved onto an h22

Comment

Originally posted by chrischhorn View Post
            if your looking for a cheap reliable turbo setup, just look into the dsm setup. Very good for beginners and parts can be had for cheap. I'm actually gettin ready to post my old dsm setup for sale. Moved onto an h22
            how much for your dsm setup?

91 EX, body/chassis ~235,000; rebuilt f22a6 crate engine ~65,000 (3/2011)
            Neuspeed Super Cup Kit (7/2010)
            TAS rear drum-to-disc conversion (6/2010)
            Above photo taken - 4/2010

Comment

Get out of the "kit" mentality. Nobody makes a "kit" worth buying.

Understand what parts you need, and know exactly why you need them. Buy each part individually. DSM is "Diamond Star Motors"... basically, the first and second generation Eclipse, Talon, and Laser. People use parts from these cars on CB7s. Does it work? Yes. Is it a great idea? Not really. If you go DSM, at least upgrade to a turbo larger than the 14b or t25 that came stock on those cars. They are far too small for the F22A.

This is the Beginner Forum... DO NOT discuss buying or selling parts from each other here, or I will ban you both.

Also, I will add... the ebay turbo kits have very cheap parts. If the wastegate fails, you blow up. If the turbo falls apart and dumps pieces into your engine, you blow up. If the blow off valve fails, you blow up your turbo.

If you're looking to get away cheap... then you're probably not even thinking about ECU tuning. That can get expensive, and it's quite possibly the MOST important part!

Comment

i never discussed anything about selling it to him. All i stated was that I was about to post it for sale. Never offered anything to him.....but whatever. Ban's happen. Just stated that the dsm setup is a good starter setup for people who are wanting to learn without going and spending the big bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Get out of the "kit" mentality. Nobody makes a "kit" worth buying.
                  http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...0&phot_key=289

Ahem Deev?

I'd trust Turbonetics without a second thought

Greddy also make a Turbo Kit for us
                  Built & Boosted.

Comment

Originally posted by Jccck View Post

Ahem Deev?

Oh yeah, I forgot about Treadstone... Just a few years ago, NOBODY made kits for us. I can't argue with that kit. I don't know much about their intercooler... but everything else is either a name I know and trust, or doesn't really matter that it's not a name brand (like the piping, or the log manifold).

Ok... yeah. If you want a kit, get that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jccck View Post

Ahem Deev?

can't find greddys kit for us on their web site.
                      Accord SE

93se
                      Members Ride
                      Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
                      Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

I'm still not a fan of kits. You buy a kit, and you don't understand what each part is, or why it does what it does. Building your own is the best way to ensure you understand everything you're doing... so you are less likely to screw it up.

Comment

yea my buddy got a 800 dollar kit on ebay for his civic and it has stayed together, and accually blew threw 2 motors! lol

Comment

but ye i tottaly agree with deev. part it together. i parted mine form a eclipse and then bought a ram horn for a eclipse and greddy turbo. they are next

Comment

Working...
                            X