Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

HELP odd spark question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP odd spark question

I bought a re-manufactured distributor because the old one was leaking oil and failed on me. after putting it in the car i tried to turn it over and i heard a loud pop, and started to smell electrical sents. The car will not start anymore.

But here is the odd part, when i take a boot and put it near a bolt it arcs a spark to the bolt. But when i put a spark plug in the boot, nothing.

I tried the spark plugs on my friends car and they spark right up.

Im thinking i need to get a new ignition/coil. please help me either by confirming or maybe something else is wrong?

Temp sig, cars almost done

Help me please! =/

Comment

It's easy to get a weak spark to ark to ground. But it's not so easy for a weak spark to fire a spark plug.

What year car are we dealing with?
      Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

a) I don't understand. Your friend's plugs will spark but yours won't?? Maybe there is a problem with your plugs. Are they very worn? **Edit** >>Oh, I get it--you tried *your* spark plugs on your friend's car and they work in his car. Ok.

b) Get a calibrated spark plug tester. I suspect your secondary coil is not putting out sufficient voltage to jump the gap and a calibrated spark plug tester will tell you if the coil is putting out the necessary 20,000 volts or whatever--(assuming your distributor cap and rotor are good.) If it isn't then you have a defective rebuilt distributor. That pop was a spark jumping a gap with a lot of power behind it and you may also have a short somewhere and it could be bleeding the lion's share of power from the distributor before it even gets to the rotor tip.

Actually the fact that you cant get the spark plug to spark is telling you that you have a dist problem already. Probably grounding the spark plug collar to the valve cover and then leaving the spark plug there and turning it over and looking for spark is sufficient to know whether it's getting sufficient voltage--*if* you are testing it with a known good plug for the car.

obviously use all safety precautions such as disconnecting the primary or, best, the negative clamp from the battery, before setting up such tests, but you knew that.

i would skip all that and try to just return the distributor as defective, actually.
        Last edited by batever; 04-11-2010, 02:00 PM.

Comment

thanks for the input, i ended up getting the distributor replaced with a new one. ANd it fired up first try, the car sounds beautiful now. It feels like a new engine.

This weekend i have to replace distributor, starter, crankshaft pully, plugs wires, and battery terminals. was fun and exhausting.

BTW its a 91, so it has internal coil.

Comment

Working...
          X