Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

clutch noise is driving me insane!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch noise is driving me insane!

90 accord ex coupe 5spd. I have what sounds like a dry drive belt, like a squeak. It only happens when my foot is off the clutch. When I push the clutch pedal down it goes away. I only have to put minimal weight on the pedal for it to go away I don't even have to push it down all the way. Once I take my foot off of the pedal the noise comes back.. also I have another noise sounds like a slide whistle.. this noise isn't always there only sometimes. Sound slike a hum as I go to shift into 1st and I start to take my foot off the pedal and give it gas it makes that slide whistle noise. Any thoughts? I gotta drive to vegas nxt week and I'm wondering if the car will make it there

The squeak noise you're talking about sounds like your throw out bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post
      The squeak noise you're talking about sounds like your throw out bearing.
      Yep Yep .. what he said up there ^ ..

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Actually, if it goes away when you press the clutch pedal, it's the input shaft bearing. If it whines with the clutch pedal pressed down, it's the throwout bearing.

In your case, it's the input shaft bearing. I have the exact same problem with mine. It's not bad but it's only going to get worse so I'm going to be ripping apart my tranny in a couple weeks. Parts aren't too expensive for the oil seal and bearing (under $100 from Honda) but it's taking the tranny out and tearing it apart that's the huge hassle.

Comment

So do you think I'll have a problem I'm I drive it to vegas? Its a 4hr drive. I don't have a problem when I shift all the gears go in smooth and they don't pop out

Comment

If it seizes, you'll have problems. Would you drive that far on a donut that has dry rot?

Comment

It all depends on how bad/noisy it is. Mine is just a light whirling sound and I wouldn't be afraid to drive it long distances. I decided to fix it now because I'm picky and it's also off the road right now anyways.

On the other hand, if it's loud/sounds almost like metal on metal, I wouldn't drive it at all. My friend's CB was so bad you can really hear a loud WAAAAAAA when you where slowing down for a light and something like that I would get fixed asap.

Comment

Its not that bad. I don't hear any metal noises. So I'm not too concerend abt it might take the chance

Comment

If i was you i would change all i can while the tranny is down (costs aside). Since personally i dont want to keep opening the tranny and wasting time and effort in 2, 4 or even 6 yrs time.

What ever bearings (throw out or shaft), seals etc i can change i will change.

If you havent changed the clutch (or still original) dont be surprised if its close to needing one and may be a good idea to change while you've got it down.

In any case i'd budget for all the parts (unless you dont mind dropping tranny's).
                  Last edited by JDMDriver; 06-01-2010, 09:07 AM.
                  Rides:

Accord
                  92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                  96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                  88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                  92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                  95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                  92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                  91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                  91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                  91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                  91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

I ignored that sound when it happened to me. What ended up happening? EVERYTHING associated with the clutch was destroyed. Throwout bearing seized, and the clutch, pressure plate, and pilot bearing all went with it. I had to drive home 2 hours without using the clutch pedal.

Replace that throwout bearing with an OEM Honda piece. It'd be wise to replace the clutch and flywheel in the process. Exedy makes great stuff... stay away from crap brands like F1 and XTD (like I have above... my bearing that failed was XTD, and it failed in 2 years.)

Replacing the rear main seal while you're in there would be smart as well. If that fails, your engine is done.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      I ignored that sound when it happened to me. What ended up happening? EVERYTHING associated with the clutch was destroyed. Throwout bearing seized, and the clutch, pressure plate, and pilot bearing all went with it. I had to drive home 2 hours without using the clutch pedal.

Replace that throwout bearing with an OEM Honda piece. It'd be wise to replace the clutch and flywheel in the process. Exedy makes great stuff... stay away from crap brands like F1 and XTD (like I have above... my bearing that failed was XTD, and it failed in 2 years.)

Replacing the rear main seal while you're in there would be smart as well. If that fails, your engine is done.
                      Wow! So how bad were the noises u heard a few days before all this damage happened? Cuz like I said all I have is a squeak

Comment

The noises started sounding like chirping birds, and shifting was hard. Then the problems seemed to clear up. Remember, automotive problems NEVER fix themselves!

When it went, it went quick... and I was 2 hours from home. It started making a whirring/whining noise... and then it stalled the car. Basically, when it all gave out, I wasn't able to disengage the clutch anymore.

Comment

Like I mentioned above, make sure you know which bearing it is. Throw out and input shaft bearings are 2 totally different things.

And to add to JDMdriver's post, you should inspect all the gears, syncro's, and bearings while it's apart. I actually also ordered 2 new diff bearings since I'm throwing in a lsd, and will be inspecting the other stuff once I crack it open.

Comment

If the issue is just clutch related, he won't be opening the transmission case.

And honestly, if the transmission is coming off, all clutch-related components should probably be replaced anyway. If they're not fairly new, they're worn enough to warrant replacing. It's too much work just to take things apart for one little thing. Changing the rear main seal at the same time would be very wise as well.

Comment

If the noise goes away when you press the clutch, it's the input shaft bearing, not the throw out bearing. The noise going away when you press the clutch is because the throwout bearing is doing the bulk of the spinning instead of the input shaft bearing.

I'm just trying to make this point clear because the OP will be very disappointed to find the noise is still there after changing his clutch. It's a very common problem on the EF Civic and CRX 5 speeds.

Comment

Working...
                              X