Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

New o2 sensor/ resulting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New o2 sensor/ resulting problems

Hi, I just installed a new o2 sensor, NGK brand. It seems run a little smother and idles nicer. Only...

Now my engine does weird things almost like a loss of power at certain times. Its really hard to explain, but when going down the road at a constant speed the engine will change rpms slightly, you cant see it on the gauges but you can feel it in the pedal and you can hear it.

I wanna say it might be something with fuel delivery but im not sure. Any ideas?
    PSN
    Vash744

MRT 1992 EX Coupe "The Jerk"
    2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium Hatchback
    2008 Honda Fit Sport (Totaled out - Death by fallen tree)
    1993 CB7 Sedan LX (Totaled out)
    1991 CB7 Sedan EX (Dead and Junked)

Originally posted by Vash744 View Post
    Hi, I just installed a new o2 sensor, NGK brand. It seems run a little smother and idles nicer. Only...

Now my engine does weird things almost like a loss of power at certain times. Its really hard to explain, but when going down the road at a constant speed the engine will change rpms slightly, you cant see it on the gauges but you can feel it in the pedal and you can hear it.

I wanna say it might be something with fuel delivery but im not sure. Any ideas?
    Did you reset your ECU after installing the O2 sensor?

Comment

I would put the old O2 back on and see if it still does the same thing....That would eliminated weather or not it is actually the O2 you replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by **CB7** View Post
        Did you reset your ECU after installing the O2 sensor?
        Yes try resetting your ECU.

just pull the ECU fuse.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
        1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
        1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
        2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

Originally posted by HDuece2 View Post
          I would put the old O2 back on and see if it still does the same thing....That would eliminated weather or not it is actually the O2 you replaced.
          Dude! That's the 2nd post of yours I've seen today that makes no sense whatsoever.

To the OP, reset your ECU and drive it for a tank or 2 so it can relearn your setup. Then if the problem persists, dig into it to see what you can find.
          Originally posted by Junior Smurff
          Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

If you have a manual then you can skip the next paragraph, because I don't know what it is then

Too lazy to look, but do you have an auto tranny? If so it sounds like your torque-converter is being picky. My car does it that at 70+ and sometimes my RPM's will change ever so slightly from 3k to ~3.2k. It's annoying, but I don't feel like trying to figure out what the problem is.
            Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
            D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
            ┴─┴
            ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Originally posted by vietkid_2006 View Post
              Yes try resetting your ECU.

just pull the ECU fuse.
              Unfortunatly I have not done this yet. I knew it needed done after I replaced the o2 sensor, but procrastination got the better of me. I will try this and let you know how it goes the next time I get to drive it.

A big duh I should have known this moment hits me.
              PSN
              Vash744

Comment

It's not the ECU fuse... it's listed as "Radio/Bacup"... another option is to just disconnect the battery for a few minutes.

It's possible that your new o2 sensor is faulty. It's also possible that something else is causing the problem. Reset the ECU, drive it, and if your CEL comes on, pull the code.

Comment

Thing is, that before I replaced the o2 sensor, it threw codes, but now its golden and doesnt throw codes. So doesnt that mean that its working correctly?
                  PSN
                  Vash744

Comment

Originally posted by Vash744 View Post
                    Thing is, that before I replaced the o2 sensor, it threw codes, but now its golden and doesnt throw codes. So doesnt that mean that its working correctly?
                    not necessarily..it could still have codes..before you reset your ecu check for codes...if you already reset it, then test drive it and see if your CEL comes on..

Rush

Originally posted by Darkcloud
                    Bought 3 things, 1 that goes boom,1 that shades and 1 to go fasrer
                    Originally posted by bmxicansd
                    so you got a boombox, sunglasses and rosettta stone?

Comment

Originally posted by cb7rush View Post
                      not necessarily..it could still have codes..before you reset your ecu check for codes...if you already reset it, then test drive it and see if your CEL comes on..
                      The old codes remain in the ECU until it's reset. He already knows there was an O2 sensor code in there, it will certainly be there still if he checks again.

The description sounds like normal torque converter lockup. Except that you *can* see that on the gauge. Engine RPM's changing but not showing on the tach means a broken tach.

Comment

Originally posted by 4GAccordH22 View Post
                        Dude! That's the 2nd post of yours I've seen today that makes no sense whatsoever.

To the OP, reset your ECU and drive it for a tank or 2 so it can relearn your setup. Then if the problem persists, dig into it to see what you can find.
                        You must have a problem yourself if my post makes no sense to you!.....It's very simple. He didn't experience this problem until the O2 was changed. If he puts the old one back and the issue still continues, then he can eliminate the O2 as the cause. How does that not make sense?

Comment

VS

You must have a problem yourself if my post makes no sense to you!.....It's very simple. He didn't experience this problem until the O2 was changed. If he puts the old one back and the issue still continues, then he can eliminate the O2 as the cause. How does that not make sense?

I think he was referring to how you typed your first post. It requires some magic to understand, which I will now perform!

I would put the old O2 (sensor) back on and see if it still does the same thing....That would eliminated (eliminate) weather (whether) or not it is actually the O2 (sensor) you replaced (causing these problems)
                          See? Much better!
                          Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
                          D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
                          ┴─┴
                          ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Originally posted by Masamune View Post
                            I think he was referring to how you typed your first post. It requires some magic to understand, which I will now perform!
                            It's also unsound advice. The O2 sensor is a computer input, and the ECU is supposed to compensate for sensor age, so an ECU memory reset is a good idea recommended by the manuals.

Furthermore, swapping the sensors can be a pain, and involves some risk of damaging them. And if the old sensor was bad, the car was doing things wrong anyway. More likely OP is describing the normal tendency to drop a few RPMs under low strain.

Comment

If the ECU was reset and is not throwing codes, then the o2 sensor is most likely NOT the problem any longer. If you're still having problems, the cause is probably something else. And something that doesn't trigger a CEL code. However, I only get a CEL after I hit highway speeds, and I'm quite certain that my problem is the o2 sensor. I compensated with a richer fuel map (chipped ECU... I cheated...)

Take the car up to about 55mph, and rev it over 4500 (after it's warm, of course!) See if a CEL pops up then. If that happens, it's very likely code 43, fuel supply system... which is often (but not always) the o2 sensor. If that happens... see if you can return that o2 sensor for another one, as that one might be defective.

Comment

Working...
                              X