Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

My block and head are warped... swap for H22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My block and head are warped... swap for H22?

It's official... my car is dead. Her block and head are so warped that coolant is just pouring out between the head and cylinder. So I need to put in a new engine, and I'm considering doing the H22 swap since I have to take out her engine anyways... How long will it take me if I am doing it all myself? This will be a weekend and after work project, so maybe a couple weeks. Or should I save time and money and may this guy 1,100 to just put in a f22a with 35k mi on it.

replace the F22a for 1,100 out the door. Saving time and $$
    70.00%
    purchase a H22 from hmotorsonline and swap it out on my own. Costing time and money I don't have.
    30.00%

nice car the f22a looks like a good deal the h22 is a good motor but in my opinion if i was going to do a swap i would put in a k series just for the fact of horsepower but in the end it all comes down to you and what you want to get out of your car

Comment

Originally posted by 91dxaccordcb7 View Post
      nice car the f22a looks like a good deal the h22 is a good motor but in my opinion if i was going to do a swap i would put in a k series just for the fact of horsepower but in the end it all comes down to you and what you want to get out of your car
      The K series is really expensive and he already said he barely has the money to afford the H, so why would he want a K?

Anyways, F series engines are very cheap and the swap is in and out shouldn't cost you $1,100. I really suggest doing it yourself. Also with the H it is gonna still easy swap just going to cost you some more money. Also there is the option to get the block and head resurfaced flat, I don't know how much it would be at a machine shop near you but here it can be done for a couple hundred max.

My opinion if you have to swap I say do the F because of your budget and when you have the money you can modify it the way you want.
      Originally posted by 92jdm
      if you have any mechanical inclination, it should be easier than a drunk highschool girl after prom.

Comment

if it is warped that bad, the cylinders could potentially be out of round.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by 92-Accord-LX View Post
          It's official... my car is dead. Her block and head are so warped that coolant is just pouring out between the head and cylinder. So I need to put in a new engine, and I'm considering doing the H22 swap since I have to take out her engine anyways... How long will it take me if I am doing it all myself? This will be a weekend and after work project, so maybe a couple weeks. Or should I save time and money and may this guy 1,100 to just put in a f22a with 35k mi on it.

I say go with the f22, do the swap yourself though, pretty low miles too

Comment

Originally posted by southsidecb7z View Post
            I say go with the f22, do the swap yourself though, pretty low miles too
            What's your budget + mechanical skills + timeline like

You should have no problem finding a cheap H in LA... I would get one there and do the swap myself. There are a shit ton of CB7Tuners out there who could lend a hand + possibly find you a good deal too. All the work will be the same pretty much; the motor + ECU will just cost a couple more hundred dollars.

Originally posted by lordoja
            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Costing time and money I don't have
              If you dont have the money or the time then dont struggle to afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                What's your budget + mechanical skills + timeline like

You should have no problem finding a cheap H in LA... I would get one there and do the swap myself. There are a shit ton of CB7Tuners out there who could lend a hand + possibly find you a good deal too. All the work will be the same pretty much; the motor + ECU will just cost a couple more hundred dollars.
                Thank You everyone!

Def can't spend much more than 2,000 at this point. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but i haven't attempted anything of this caliber yet. I have a Suzuki Bandit 1200 that I will be using to get around for now, but I want my CB back, so timeline is just as soon as possible for me.

Anyone have any advice on what else to get other than the H22/tranny/ECU from Hmotorsonline

Comment

id say have a shop deck, hone with new pistons and reconditioned rods. have them assemble the block without any seals. you can put new seals on yourself. this should cost around 500 labor.

buy a reconditioned head for around 200 dollars and torque it on with a headgasket, check the valve lash and be done with it.
                  I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by 91dxaccordcb7 View Post
                    You do realize that the K24 that can be swapped in using the Hasport kit has 10hp less than the most common JDM H22 swap, right?

Pull your motor. Pay roughly $1000 to have Darton sleeves installed. Drop another $700 on forged rods and pistons. Spend $50 on a used head, and have it reconditioned.

Pricey, sure. But you'll be able to build one hell of a turbo-ready motor.

If you want to go the H22 route, hmotorsonline.com really IS your best option. There are cheaper places out there, but you often get what you pay for. Some get lucky... others get $1200 paperweights. Some places make things right... others give you the runaround. The risk wouldn't be worth the potential savings to me, but you may think differently. I've had an H22 from hmotors in my car since 2003... I beat the living piss out of it for 100,000 miles, and it's from 1994. The only problems I have ever had with it, I created myself.

Comment

Dude....stick with the F22....and boost that sucker. I guarantee that you can get a boosted F22 for under $2000. And you'll be mopping up H-series cars all day!
                      1993 Accord LX *Under construction*
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=162083 <---MRT

Comment

man if i was ready to do my swap i would sell you my F for way cheap. It has 90k on it but its still in good condition and never beat on..suprisingly

Comment

i have rarely seen a f22 block warp ,if you overheated it that bad your front covers at the t belt will be melted,what i would do is remove the head and clean the block ,use a straight edge and check the block if you can fit a .004" feeler gauge anywhere on the block the block needs to be resurfaced ,if not have the head checked for cracks and resurfaced and use a honda gasket set and put it back together......

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                            id say have a shop deck, hone with new pistons and reconditioned rods. have them assemble the block without any seals. you can put new seals on yourself. this should cost around 500 labor.

buy a reconditioned head for around 200 dollars and torque it on with a headgasket, check the valve lash and be done with it.
                            A $700+ f22 doesn't seem cost effective to me.... You can get a used decent one for $150 .... I guess it depends if he plans on keep the car for a long time.

I recently had a timing belt go and took out some valves... I needed to get the car running next day so I didnt have time to shop around and bought a newer accord motor for a different gen for $250 at a local yard... Timing belt, wp, etc you are at $500... Not rebuilt but w/e MOST people aren't going to keep theses things for long

To the op... Did you just guess the block is warped? I doubt it is... You can probably get away with a new head gasket and sending the head out to get checked at a machine shop.
                            Last edited by ChIoVnIdCa; 06-23-2010, 09:41 PM.

Comment

well, i guess 4-150 dollar motors sure beats a 700 dollar rebuilt one.
                              I <3 G60.

Comment

Working...
                              X