Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How Long Do Car Batteries Last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Long Do Car Batteries Last?

I am not sure if my battery is going out or if my alternator is going out. Is there anyway I could do a test at home or would I have to take it to the shop...

You can test your alternator by starting your car and removing the postive battery connector. If the car shuts off, then the alternator is bad and is not charging the car. Not to sure of an easy way to check if the battery charges at home unless you got your own battery tester (which most 12v battery chargers have a battery check built in)

You can take both the battery and the alternator to a parts store(AutoZone, O'Reilys, Advance Auto Parts are some know ones who do this) and they will test your parts for free to see if they are in good operating conditions.
    PSN
    Vash744

MRT 1992 EX Coupe "The Jerk"
    2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium Hatchback
    2008 Honda Fit Sport (Totaled out - Death by fallen tree)
    1993 CB7 Sedan LX (Totaled out)
    1991 CB7 Sedan EX (Dead and Junked)

Comment

Batteries last about the warranty period, which is likely 3-5 years.

I don't think there's an easy test at home, because the amount of electric current involved is probably more than the average handheld multimeter can handle.

When you say "the shop," I hope you mean "the store," as in AutoZone, etc. They will test it immediately, for free, unlike a garage. (Not sure why you're hesitant to do this, is all.)

Comment

These guys are right bro, to test if the alt is charging pull the positive cable while the car is running, stays running then the alt is charging, if it dies then it is not charging properly.

To test the battery you need to load test it which you cannot do. Take it to a parts store like they said.

Comment

Not good to disconnect the battery while running, it makes a power surge which is hard on electronics… especially old electronics, which were never as durable as modern stuff.

That test doesn't tell you anything anyway. The alt can be making enough power for ignition but not enough to charge the battery. (Unless failure is sudden, that's what happens and what you want to test for.)

Comment

How long do batteries last? 6 years is the longest I've seen. Think about it. Manufacturers offer warranties to about that amount of time. Any longer and they are losing money.
            Sig removed due to excessive size.

Comment

Take your battery to AutoZone and let them run a free diagnostic to tell you if its good or not. For that matter, just take the alternator out and have them run a test on that as well (also free). Obviously you'll need a second car or someone to drive you there, but I think that's one of the more fool-proof methods.
              Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
              D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
              ┴─┴
              ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Or you could just take the whole car to Oreilly and get both tested ON your vehicle.
                Sig removed due to excessive size.

Comment

It also depends upon where you live. Cold weather beats up batteries more than warm. I lived most of my life in northern states so I can't believe how long batteries last here in Georgia.

Comment

Go to Autozone and have them test it.

If you have a bad battery it can take your alternator with it, because the alternator will constantly be trying to charge up the bad battery and will wear out.

Comment

DON'T DISCONNECT THE POSITIVE TERMINAL!!!!!

you disconnect the negative terminal to test the altinator...

there is current flowing threw the postive side touch a wrench to that and lean on one metal thing in your car and your now the ground... you'll get zapped and it wont be fun and probably mess up your battery

MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188701

Comment

i've been 5 years on my optima
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
                          i've been 5 years on my optima
                          The only way to roll.
                          Originally posted by chessboxer
                          We know these are good cars, but for some reason, all the world wants are freaking civics and tegs. Bleck.
                          Bought From: Slammed4thGen TypeG x2DeevergoteBillKisme

Comment

Originally posted by Nyne521 View Post
                            there is current flowing threw the postive side touch a wrench to that and lean on one metal thing in your car and your now the ground... you'll get zapped and it wont be fun and probably mess up your battery
                            ...Please don't do that. Jesus do you have a death wish? Batteries are cranking like 500 amps..whatever they're rated at. God why would one suggest that??

I'm pretty sure you know what to do: take it to the store and have them test it on the car. All for free.

DON'T do any original thinking and try disconnecting positive terminals...

Please learn to type!!
                            CHECK IT! My ride thread...
                            http://www.myspace.com/stephenwaltonphotography
                            Originally posted by deevergote
                            You'll need to spend real money on parts with real engineering to see any real gains. Anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant, or trying to sell you something.

Comment

The current through the positive side is equal to the current through the negative side… it's the law of conservation of charge. When you see sparks, it means you've created a high voltage by breaking a connection, just like a spark plug. High voltage can damage electronics. Don't disconnect either terminal.

The negative side is grounded, so messing with exposed positive voltage is dangerous. That's why the positive terminal has a protective cover and why you connect negatives together first when jump-starting.

Comment

Working...
                              X